What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help a hydro newbie please!

if someone could help me out, i would really appreciate it. I want to try hydro again after a recent failed attempt. My last try was just a quick setup and i took the plant out of soil, anyways, it sucked.

my next grow i really want to try hydro the right way. Im growing in a Mills Pride C13 cabinet with 250w MH/HPS conversion. Can anyone point me in the direction for an easy/low cost setup that would fit in there.

just point me in the right direction :D

p.s. im about 20 days until i would like to get it running if thats possible :confused:

G

I used the NewGanjaBoy artical on OG, to learn hydro. I used most of his stuff except exact dimemsions, those I changed for my set up. But I was using only 150 hps, later on I added 70 watts of MH, I like a blend of light. Prolly dont do shit but make me feel better!! Good artical, I also added a lower resy, and for better circulation of nutes. Good luck

krusty

closet growers.....

*shakes head*

lmao

go rent a house....knock out a few walls in the basment ...throw 10 KBS up....and in no time you can laugh at closet growers too:)

(jk)

peace

krusty

I highly recomend a DWC (bubbler) set up. Not nearly as fancy as nft and so on, but it gets results. It's a very safe and easy way to get some hydro experience. It's truely less work than soil.

ken

nft isnt fancy :D

tray, submersible pump, hose, tank, rockwool cube, plant, how hard is that to put together?

its not rocket science & it does get very good results :)

it costs $10 extra for the pump, but i bet you'll make that back after a few harvests ;)

I'm a firm believer in hydro and think that even the most difficult or time consuming set ups can be very trouble free if done correctly, but come on. Even nft can't beat plugging in a 10 dollar fish pump into an air stone and dropping said air stone in an 88cents container for simplicity.

Ok, it's not quite that simple but both set ups work well for basicly the same reasons. They are relatively simple to set up, both are fairly inexpensive to make and run, they are hard to screw up, and get results.

I do however think that a dwc the simplest, safest (meaning gettting resluts through a wider margin for error) way to start. Then again it depends on the person. Some peeps are ready for a single plant DWC and some peeps are ready for a house full of tables on thier first 'dro grow. Either way it looks like there's lots of support for diggity if he decides to give 'dro a go.:cool:

My cabinet im growing in is approx. 5 square feet.. (30"w x 24 5/8"D x 69 3/4"H)

i checked out the NFT table..that doesnt look too hard. how big of a pump would i need? i saw like 80gph pumps for about $18 or 130gph for $25. ive got the rest of the stuff.

with a DWC setup, i think i have pretty much everything i need. i might buy another pump and more airstones but that would be about all i need for that. if i did DWC how big of containers would i use? i would like to grow like 3-7 plants.. do i put them together or seperate?

anymore suggestions? :cool:

ken

you only need a small pump, not sure about the specs of mine, was the smallest i could find. "indoor water feature pump", from my local garden centre.

any water pump should be enough, get the smallest ;)

you just need enough water to create a 3-5mm (1/4") deep film of water over the tray.

flow can be controlled by cutting holes in the pipe, before it leaves the tank, this also helps to circulate water & nutes in the tank a lil better.

does anyone have a shot of the roots from an NFT table? id like to see how the roots look in a good table design. i cant really picture how they would look. Does it just grow out of the rockwool and you'll have huge roots just flowing down the tray?

KINGPIN

Diggity - Find a rubbermaid container that most closely fits the dimensions of your cab (THey come in every fucking shape and size imaginable these days). In the top of the RM you are going to cut X number of holes (X=number of plants you want to grow), I am guessing (6) 3" netcups would be a good start for the c13. Drop your airstones in, hook up your pump, mix your nutes and your golden. I would definitly consider possibly growing 2 or 3 plants and throwing a screen in there for maximum results.
Good Luck!