What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water pump for drip system

Equilibrate

Hey guys,

Not sure if this should be in design/equipment or not but here we go:

I am currently working on going from flood to drip. I got some floraflex pressure compensated manifolds and floracaps to pair with it.

Depending on a couple variables I am trying to run one to two manifolds per 4x4 flood table running 8 to 16 sites (manifolds have 8 ports each). Each site is split with a T-barb to allow for 2 open ends of 1/4 tubing to feed into the floracaps. So... recap 1 to 2 manifolds, each manifold feeds 8 sites and each site is fed by one 1/4 tubing split into two openings.

Each table has its own res, and each res has its own pump. So I will need a pump to run at least one manifold but two manifolds max. The manifolds have swappable inserts (2, 6, 10, 20GPH).

The res is a 55 gal drum, and the tables are about a foot higher than the rez, so the manifold is going to be running at roughly 40 inches high.

I set one table up today with one of the manifolds to test the system. Running with the 2GPH insert only 4 of the 8 ports flowed and the other 4 dribbled on and off. With the 20GPH insert it did a little better but nothing substantial. With it running as open flow and not pressure compensating it ran okay, they all emitted within 10% of each others total volume. But I am wanting to try and dial in equal feeding between all sites more-so.

I had it set up with an active aqua 550GPH pump.

So my question is, assuming I am not an idiot and not messing the system up somewhere, what pump would be ideal for one manifold and possibly two feeding 8 to 16 sites? I am probably only going to feed for a couple minutes (whatever produces 200mL a feeding with one of the pressure compensating emitters. So approx 1 to 2 min with the 2GPH insert). *Side note: my hydro guys think the pump should be good enough but I can't seem to make it work.

I have seen mag pumps, dc marine pumps, jet pumps, and sump pumps. Multiple brands, multiple flow rates, and multiple power recommendations. Some people saying one and some saying the other.

So what do you guys, especially you serious drip guys, use for your systems? (Type, brand, power)

I am open to all options, but inline could have some potential benefits, but submersible is also fine. And also price isn't a deal breaker but the cheaper (better DEAL not just cheaper) the better.

Equilibrate

Also should mention, I am using a mix of 3/4" ID poly tubing, 1" and 1/2" PVC with pvc ball valves at the lead of the manifold(s).

Drip irrigation needs more pressure than that.I had the same issue ,they didnt start.You need to find out the starting pressure of your dripper component.Ask the company.Or buy the lowest starting ones avalible to you.I have netafim pcj drippers that need 0.75 bar so i chose a Haliea s 25000 pump(25.000liter per hour,620w) with a 9.5 m head,it should provide 0.95 bar,more than enough.the formula is easy,head/10 equals the pressure provided.

datal4b

mag drive 9, 2 jane octobubbler 2gph without the top rubber insert, 16 drip emitters has worked for me. the higher gph inserts may work without needing to upsize your pump but cabinet boy is probably right in saying a stronger pump is needed for that many drip sites

make sure to install an anti siphon in the feed line or they will continue to drip after the pump turns off. the easiest way is to poke a hole in the feed line above the rez water line

Mudraya

Little Giant pumps all the way. Been doing drip 10 yrs + and have had a few of those for just as long with no issues, still going and going. Like 250 gph, but high pressure, for one line into a 4x8 they are perfect. Also fine for one tray, just adjust your timer. For a manifold splitting over 3+ lights I would recommend the yellow Mondi. Make sure to glue/clamp those lines when using the Mondi! Lol No need for an anti siphon if the res is below feed line level and lines are open, but it doesn't hurt.

Latest posts

Latest posts