What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do? Cheap er expensive coco?

CaliNewby

Question.. what do you guys feel gives a better return? Cheap coco or the more premium brands (with the price to go along). I am wondering if the higher price will give me better flower..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cheap stuff probably has a bunch of shit that needs washed out.

What brands are you considering?
You'll get a much better response when you include pertinent info in your request for info.

CaliNewby

The cheap stuff probably has a bunch of shit that needs washed out.

What brands are you considering?
You'll get a much better response when you include pertinent info in your request for info.

Thanks for the tip, at this point I am considering Tupur or Canna / Plagron, but those go for around $20 a bag. which is kinda steep compared tot the cheaper stuff.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Canna is the cleanest coco on the market and comes pre charged with Trichoderma so it's ready to use instantly

The cheaper coco also contains significantly more ground up coco and less long fibres, the texture of them is much finer and compacts excessively starving the roots of air space

Use canna and Canna nutes and you can't really fail

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I use Sunleaves bricked coarse, sifted to remove the dust.

Boiled to insure no pests or pathogens.

Works for me.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Got some really cheap plates from Aldi and it was okay for the price, only few dust but not too much fibres either. I only used it as a mix with peat and compost which lasted two to three years (roses, oleander, bougainvillea, hot peppers) before it needed replacing.
Then I found some at IKEA, also for three times nothing... Turned out that it was mostly dust, small crumbs and even pieces of coconut shell and something which looked like ground granite rock. It was also pre-fertilised and came with a "fabric" potting bag (IKEA bag style, but green) and some basil, tomato, or sweet pepper seeds. I mixed it with soil and stuff like before and used it for re-potting different perennial plants and hell, that stuff was hot! i.e. it needed repeated and thorough flushings cause it started to burn the plants away like dry hay in a bushfire. Dunno what nutrient it was which caused it or if it was just too much of everything. Can't imagine how people are supposed to use that stuff to germinate seeds and grow tiny seedlings???

JJ Lowe

If you have the time, just get the pressed bricks. I soak and rinse with RO a couple times then precharge with a light ppm of feed/ca. seems to work great and no real difference in yield or quality compared to the bagged stuff. Saves money if you are doing a big grow.

ahead

In my experience, doing side by sides over several years - all other things being equal, better coco gives better yields. No question.

Best performers for me are b'cuzz and canna. Botanicare is next level down. Black gold just coir is a good budget route.

The cheaper you go, the more you need to worry about thorough rinsing and thorough pre charging.

If your doing a small project, buy the best coco you can afford. If its a big project, buy the best coco you can afford.

Best of luck.