What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis/Marijuana and how it effects our sleep.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Here is an article concerning our most favourite plant taken from the MSM (main stream media) about cannabis and how it effects our sleep. It does seem like the Daily Fail (Daily Mail) is coming around to publishing more factual and pro-cannabis articles of late, after years of being totally negative towards the plant.

Marijuana DOES affect your sleep: Expert warns the drug can help users nod off - but they may struggle to rest without it

Deirdre Conroy, a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan, analyzed how medical marijuana impacts sleep
Most people use medical marijuana for sleep help if they are suffering from pain or PTSD - but Conroy warns most will then struggle to sleep without it
People who suffered from depression were more likely to sleep better with medical marijuana than those who didn't
Currently, 28 states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana use in the US

If you speak to someone who has suffered from insomnia at all as an adult, chances are good that person has either tried using marijuana, or cannabis, for sleep or has thought about it.

This is reflected in the many variations of cannabinoid or cannabis-based medicines available to improve sleep – like Nabilone, Dronabinol and Marinol.

It's also a common reason why many cannabis users seek medical marijuana cards.

I am a sleep psychologist who has treated hundreds of patients with insomnia, and it seems to me the success of cannabis as a sleep aid is highly individual.

What makes cannabis effective for one person's sleep and not another's?

While there are still many questions to be answered, existing research suggests that the effects of cannabis on sleep may depend on many factors, including individual differences, cannabis concentrations and frequency of use.

Cannabis and Sleep

Access to cannabis is increasing. As of last November, 28 US states and the District of Columbia had legalized cannabis for medicinal purposes.

Research on the effects of cannabis on sleep in humans has largely been compiled of somewhat inconsistent studies conducted in the 1970s.

Researchers seeking to learn how cannabis affects the sleeping brain have studied volunteers in the sleep laboratory and measured sleep stages and sleep continuity.

Some studies showed that users' ability to fall and stay asleep improved.

A small number of subjects also had a slight increase in slow wave sleep, the deepest stage of sleep.

However, once nightly cannabis use stops, sleep clearly worsens across the withdrawal period.

Over the past decade, research has focused more on the use of cannabis for medical purposes. Individuals with insomnia tend to use medical cannabis for sleep at a high rate.

Up to 65 percent of former cannabis users identified poor sleep as a reason for relapsing. Use for sleep is particularly common in individuals with PTSD and pain.

This research suggests that, while motivation to use cannabis for sleep is high, and might initially be beneficial to sleep, these improvements might wane with chronic use over time.

Does frequency matter?

We were interested in how sleep quality differs between daily cannabis users, occasional users who smoked at least once in the last month and people who don't smoke at all.

We asked 98 mostly young and healthy male volunteers to answer surveys, keep daily sleep diaries and wear accelerometers for one week.

Accelerometers, or actigraphs, measure activity patterns across multiple days.

Throughout the study, subjects used cannabis as they typically would.

Our results show that the frequency of use seems to be an important factor as it relates to the effects on sleep.

Thirty-nine percent of daily users complained of clinically significant insomnia.

Meanwhile, only 10 percent of occasional users had insomnia complaints. There were no differences in sleep complaints between nonusers and non-daily users.

Interestingly, when controlling for the presence of anxiety and depression, the differences disappeared.

This suggests that cannabis's effect on sleep may differ depending on whether you have depression or anxiety.

In order words, if you have depression, cannabis may help you sleep – but if you don't, cannabis may hurt.

Future directions

Cannabis is still a schedule I substance, meaning that the government does not consider cannabis to be medically therapeutic due to lack of research to support its benefits.

This creates a barrier to research, as only one university in the country, University of Mississippi, is permitted by the National Institute of Drug Abuse to grow marijuana for research.

New areas for exploration in the field of cannabis research might examine how various cannabis subspecies influence sleep and how this may differ between individuals.

One research group has been exploring cannabis types or cannabinoid concentrations that are preferable depending on one's sleep disturbance. For example, one strain might relieve insomnia, while another can affect nightmares.

Other studies suggest that medical cannabis users with insomnia tend to prefer higher concentrations of cannabidiol, a nonintoxicating ingredient in cannabis.

This raises an important question.

Should the medical community communicate these findings to patients with insomnia who inquire about medical cannabis?

Some health professionals may not feel comfortable due to the fluctuating legal status, a lack of confidence in the state of the science or their personal opinions.

At this point, cannabis's effect on sleep seems highly variable, depending on the person, the timing of use, the cannabis type and concentration, mode of ingestion and other factors.

Perhaps the future will yield more fruitful discoveries.

*Here is the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-affect-sleep-according-experts.html#comments

M

moose eater

As a person who experiences PTSD and pain (the previous for 5 decades, not combat related in on-set, and the latter going back 30 years, but increasing significantly over time), I've found this issue to be anything but simple.

I once regarded cannabis (and to a bit lesser degree still do, though age has interfered some) to be the "what ever I/my body need(s) at the time" drug.

There are times I'm sleepy, and needing to wake up, and a puff or three will help do that. Other times I need to get to sleep, can't, and a few puffs often helps with that, too.

I don't do a lot of true Indicas (like, nearly ZERO); more of a strong sativa appetite, as I think has always been the case for me. Acknowledging that among sativas, there's still a wide array of cannabinoids' variances.

It's 2:00 A.M. in Alaska right now, and obviously I'm up... having gotten a several hour nap earlier. Chores, etc. Typical night for me.

I do think that as the 'buzz' processes through, with cannabis being used to get to sleep, for those of us with broken sleep patterns (dyssomnia, as opposed to insomnia), and speaking at least for myself, there's a significant likelihood of waking up in the middle of the night, perhaps more so than usual, as the effects wane. I can't prove that, but it seems to be my experience.

Should Docs and practitioners of all pertinent sorts inform patients of their options to include these benefits/detriments/effects? YES!!

In the case of health care, whether medical or mental health, why would ALL options -not- be discussed with a patient, to include ups and downs of options (no pun intended), other than for politics? And politics, in my opinion, should NEVER have a place in the delivery of mental health or medical health care. It's already poked its ugly head into that theater, big time, in unwelcome ways..

rolandomota

I stay awake all day and late in to the night if i take a smoke break. Usually i take a nap or three and fall asleep early at night when smoking all day. Your body becomes dependant on mj to feel tired so when you dont smoke after smoking all day every day for a few weeks it can be hard to fall asleep when you stop smoking.....or the way i see it easier to stay awake all day and late in to the night. Same thing with munchies im not so compulsive when i dont smoke vs. When smoking i pig out more often

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Excellent that you posted this article Gypsy, a fascinating subject.

I have noticed cannabis affecting my own sleep, and have remarked over the years that when not using, my dreams are far more vivid and I'm more likely to remember them. A strong indica variety is more effective helping me drift off to sleep... sativas keep me awake with my brain pondering this or that deep question.

Having endured sleep studies myself twice, in a lab setting, I wonder how that would have affected me. Can the person analyzing the results tell if one was a cannabis user or not?

My conclusion is that they need to study this a lot more, across a broader spectrum of society.

Limeygreen

Veteran
As long as I don't smoke it excessively then Sativas help me sleep better even when not smoking it. I don't care much for effects of indicas, but a sativa a few hours before bed and just laying down is enough for me to fall asleep but still lets me get things done before bed and not be a couch potatoe.

Drewsif

Something I've had the luxury to notice:

Different grows make me sleep-in differently. Has little to do with the strain.

I dont use alarm clocks, I wake up naturally. One growers weed set me back to waking around 10 o clock, every day, regardless of strain. And hating mornings. Switch crops and Im instantly waking up at 7 every day,feeling much better. I guess some grows are just groggy.. Grower vibe or valerian root? Bad light spectrum? Who knows. Not wanting to get out of bed from smoking one growers weed...? Seems science should be studying this shit.

oldchuck

Veteran
First, I do not consider the Daily Mail a very useful news source. I'm more a Washington Post, BBC kind of guy.

Second, there are probably thousands of so-called "sleeping pills" on the market and I suspect they all have erratic effects, from not working at all to causing actual harm in various ways in various people. In regard to Cannabis a useful study would have to use a consistent combination of Cannabinoids not just some random street weed.

Personally, I prefer Cannabis infused vodka before bed. I drop off almost exactly at 11 pm and wake spontaneously at 7 am. No side effects although I do notice a reduced or muted dream activity. Cannabis science needs to be more exact and that ain't going to show up in the Daily Mail.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
First, I do not consider the Daily Mail a very useful news source. I'm more a Washington Post, BBC kind of guy.

Second, there are probably thousands of so-called "sleeping pills" on the market and I suspect they all have erratic effects, from not working at all to causing actual harm in various ways in various people. In regard to Cannabis a useful study would have to use a consistent combination of Cannabinoids not just some random street weed.

Personally, I prefer Cannabis infused vodka before bed. I drop off almost exactly at 11 pm and wake spontaneously at 7 am. No side effects although I do notice a reduced or muted dream activity. Cannabis science needs to be more exact and that ain't going to show up in the Daily Mail.

Well, at least the Daily Fail is putting some positive or semi-positive articles out of late, although they might not exactly be up to par for some of our members. For years they have been lambasting cannabis and those of us that use it. Perhaps they can see the writing on the wall?....All you have to do is look at the comments on their articles on the 'erb to realize that the majority of their readers are actually pro-cannabis.

I find that most indica dominant varieties just about knock me out lately, and I sleep/nod-off very easily, or too easily on them. Just the other day I visited a friend who had me partake of his vapor-bong just 15 minutes into our meeting, and within 10 minutes I was virtually comatose, and he had to wake me up, which was kinda embarrassing, but he just laughed and was good natured about it.

Insomnia has never really been a problem for me whether I am baked or not, so I have to be careful what I toke on or I will just pass out no matter where I am or who I am with, at any time of the day or night.

Sativa's and sativa dominant varieties usually keep my eyes open so that I can enjoy the high without snoozing although some Hazes are just not for me (e.g. Kali Mist) because on them my mind tends to race too much and usually end up in a bit of a kerfuffle.

There does need to be much more research into what cannabinoids aid slumber, and hopefully then we will know what varieties are the absolute best for sleep.

bigAl25

Veteran
I have sleep apnea and use the infamous CPAC machine to help me sleep and stop my snoring. Yes the machine does work and without a spouse bitching about my snoring keeping her awake I would not have sought treatment. I will now comment on using cannabis along with the CPAC. I do believe a heavy indica will help with sleep if consumed before bedtime. Any sativa oriented hybrid will keep me awake and not work at inducing a good nights sleep if smoked right before bedtime. This is just my personal experience and I never some a whole joint of anything. I'm a half joint at the most kind of stoner. Cannabis should be available to medical patients with sleep problems, but please get help if you have sleep apnea, it's a real problem that needs a solution. Cannabis may help.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I've smoked weed all day every day for 30 years. My sleep schedule is non existent. I'm on my time with everyone and everything. Zero program. I may sleep for 72 hours, up for 6, down for 4, up for 36. I joke that I have "non 24" cause I guess only blind people can have it but, I FKN GOT IT GOD DAMN IT!haha

If I'm honest with myself and you guys...... cannabis has made every part of my life better. Including sleep. I'm living the dream so I don't need them when I sleep. 9 times outta 10 the fkn things turn in to nightmares anyways!haha always the same one too!

It starts out.....haha

I won't do it to you guys!haha

When I sleep, I sleep like a champ.
When I don't, it's usually cause I've been sleeping like a fkn champ too much!haha

I do love me some sleep. Weed too!

Lacocina

I'm sick with cancer... Just finished 6 weeks radiation followed by surgery... They currently have me on OxyContin , Ambien, Tylonal, and ibuprofen ... I just want to sleep.... The Ambien works but I prefer a combination of some long flowering thai (Sativa or narrow leaf) and a pinch of strong Indica mixed with it... Seems to mellow my brain with pleasant thoughts..... I expressed the desire to stop taking Ambien At the hospital... They said they cannot discuss the subject using marijuana because of the scheduling of it that it causes conflict with current practice... But then whispered that they felt that change is coming since research is being done finally.... Said that a number of patients are doing and saying the exact same thing!

I can only think what the fucks wrong with this shit..... I'm fighting for my life and they are restricted by the governing boards (Pharmacies).. To tell me what they know or think from fear.

Let me tell you..... I don't care... I want info to do what I think needs to be done to recover and fight a good fight !!!!!

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I'm sick with cancer... Just finished 6 weeks radiation followed by surgery... They currently have me on OxyContin , Ambien, Tylonal, and ibuprofen ... I just want to sleep.... The Ambien works but I prefer a combination of some long flowering thai (Sativa or narrow leaf) and a pinch of strong Indica mixed with it... Seems to mellow my brain with pleasant thoughts..... I expressed the desire to stop taking Ambien At the hospital... They said they cannot discuss the subject using marijuana because of the scheduling of it that it causes conflict with current practice... But then whispered that they felt that change is coming since research is being done finally.... Said that a number of patients are doing and saying the exact same thing!

I can only think what the fucks wrong with this shit..... I'm fighting for my life and they are restricted by the governing boards (Pharmacies).. To tell me what they know or think from fear.

Let me tell you..... I don't care... I want info to do what I think needs to be done to recover and fight a good fight !!!!!

I wish those in power were forced to hear your story and the story of others just like you until they got it through their thick fkn skulls.

Unfortunately I think the fkn bubble they live in just as thick.

You just keep on keeping on. i imagine YOU know what provides YOU with what YOUR looking for. FUCK them!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I had a Traumatic Brain Injury many years ago and it left me with a weakened leg (not Paralyzed). Without Cannabis my bad leg starts kicking about midnight with spasms. I am awake the rest of the night. Periodically I go without Cannabis to see what happens. I just have some sleep disturbance for a day but I get fantastic dreams the rest of the time. With Cannabis I don't get the leg spasms, but the dreaming stops. Oh well.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I don't wanna say I'm a lucid dreamer as I haven't looked up the meaning yet but I sleep with the tv on, the tv is always on cartoons and I've seen every cartoon a thousand times. Great memory too. Anyways, the audio can often set a lot of the scene for me when I do dream.

They aren't completely mine if that makes sense. They aren't very deep or long either.

When I do have a dream that is completely mine it eventually turn to shit! Kinda "inception" like in that everyone in them turns against me en masse! Thankfully they too aren't very long.haha

I've gone on vacation where there were no tv's. It was no picnic but thankfully.... I came prepared for the sit-u-a-tion.lol

Last edited:

soundman

I smoke to sleep. I take non stop bong hits all evening until bedtime of whatever the strongest strain I have at the time. Can either be a heavy sativa or a heavy hybrid. I dont care for pure indicas.

I wish cannabis would stop dreams / night terrors. Some of my DRs think weed causes the dreams. I know without weed I have way worse night terrors that really kick in the adrenaline. My wife cant sleep with me thrashing. Smoking heavy before bed helps me until it wears off around 3:00am. Then its xanax time. I wish to get of xanax but weed just cant cut it at times for me.

M

moose eater

Sounds somewhat familiar to my experiences, though the true thrashing dreams don't come often of late.

I get up in the wee hours, do a bunch of chores for an hour or two, and if I can't get back to sleep without an aid, either take a few tokes, and/or mix up a beverage or shot.

Lately it's been ~2/3 shot of pure maple syrup, 1-1/2 to 2 shots of good Canadian whiskey, 2-3 shots of low-fat milk, and a couple or three ice cubes.

Either that or a straight shot of some good tequila. But I try to keep the alcohol to one or two drinks per 24-hour period.

(*Never had a problem with my alc. ingestion or excesses, but I come from, and have known people who did at times, and it taught me to respect it).

I smoke to sleep. I take non stop bong hits all evening until bedtime of whatever the strongest strain I have at the time. Can either be a heavy sativa or a heavy hybrid. I dont care for pure indicas.

I wish cannabis would stop dreams / night terrors. Some of my DRs think weed causes the dreams. I know without weed I have way worse night terrors that really kick in the adrenaline. My wife cant sleep with me thrashing. Smoking heavy before bed helps me until it wears off around 3:00am. Then its xanax time. I wish to get of xanax but weed just cant cut it at times for me.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Cartoons all night!! Now I know why you are so weird, Resin.

Haha you are indeed a wise man!

I've been trying to work "It's a nice place to visit.....but I wouldn't wanna live there!" into one of my posts so badly, you would've had a hard time believing it.

That's before you figured me out of course!lol

I haven't started dropping safes on anybody or thinking that if I shoot somebody in the face, at point blank range with a shotgun, all that'll happen is rotate their beak to the opposite side of their head!haha

I sleep walk so I've come close. woke up in time though!lol

Edit: I don't sleep walk.haha

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Deirdre Conroy makes some interesting points. There must be many more factors that are highly individual. Different types of sleep disruptors would need to be categorized and tested with different weeds that have accurately verified and consistent cannabinoid qualities. My personal sleep strain provides pain relief, body relaxation, mellowness, and moving thought. Dealing with pain and PTSD from a couple of biggies this combination really works. I think the moving thought aspect is the key to PTSD because dreams that dwell on "the subject" disrupt sleep and the weed lets the mind move on to other dreams.

Last edited: