What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anti-Cannabis Propoganda.

M

moose eater

We've a number of 'named' highways up here, with some of the names of roads over-lapping a bit as they share some distance or another. but none by that name.

That said, what I believe -needs- to happen, is for folks with an ability to communicate articulately to help the less-deep thinkers among the voters understand the sleight-of-hand that the commercial described above (and others) attempt to perpetrate.

The narrator in the ad openly states that they're referencing 'drugged driving.' Yet their graphics -directly- imply that they're talking about cannabis.

By definition, alcohol IS a drug, and therefore can be honestly included in any discussion of 'drugged driving.' So can Rx drugs, and even over-the-counter remedies that can cause side-effects.

Sleep deprivation has been shown to be a serious factor in highway fatalities, as has marital conflict; people driving when angry or upset, following marital conflict.

What is needed is an effective method of dissecting the propaganda when it's on the airwaves, as quickly as possible, in such a way as to get voters' attention, so they aren't duped by the nonsense.

My father lived in Alaska for a few years, and there was an incident on the...Pan-American Highway, I think it is or was called. A drunk driver veered into his lane, so they had a head-on collision. He received a permanent, massive scar of a huge slash straight across the throat. Looks like the guy to whom you'd say, oh, so you survived the pirate battle?

Growing up around that scar told me plenty about alcohol, so, this kind of inflammatory ad can remain meaningless from my point of view.

M

moose eater

A guest editorial from Frank Murkowski, former Governor to the State of Alaska, former U.S. Senator (who seemingly came home, abandoning a U.S. Senator's seat to become a mere Governor, for, at least in part, the purpose of helping to give away our oil). And he was former president of the failed Bank of the North.

If they haven't blacked out or deleted a specific poster's (Dirk Nelson's) comments at the Daily News Miner, he has some historically accurate and informed things to say about ol' Frankie.

I suspect Mr. Nelson ran out of allowable characters, or he might've commented on Murkie's peripheral association with Billy Bubbel, of the Chena Pump House restaurant (and tax-affected historical monument) fame, when Billy was indicted in the early 1980s for conspiracy to distribute S.E. Asian dope to 5 states (10% of the U.S.) utilizing a private DC-8 and private pilots.

Alaska's history of love and hate with the kind weed is deep with moments of "Wtf??!!"

But Frankie has always had an inexplicable hatred for pot smokers and pot. I have suspected for years that back in his Catholic High School attendance days, as a young man, the hippies ostracized poor Frankie, and refused to share with him.

https://www.newsminer.com/opinion/c...cle_3755ec5c-8f75-11e7-b39e-0bb8d5d7cda1.html

M

moose eater

Mr. Nelson's FB-linked comments are pasted below, re. the Murkowski anti-pot guest editorial.

>>""Mr. Murkowski's bias concerning cannabis is legendary, as are many of his antics both in the U.S. Senate, as Governor, and as President of the failed Bank of the North.

Asking Frank an opinion on cannabis issues is akin to seeking Archie Bunker to ask his thoughts on school integration and equal rights in the 1960s; a waste of time if you're seeking intelligent information.

His article is chock full of distortions lacking in any factual basis and blatantly illogical assertions. If you outlaw regulated commerce, you will have MORE black marketeering, not less. There is no evidence of gangs flocking to Alaska to grow illegal weed. There is ZERO evidence of any outbreak of criminal activity relative to cannabis.

Frank was once approached at Bank of the North by a miner who had plenty of worthy collateral and a positive history extracting gold. He needed start-up $ for his spring operation. Frank turned him down, stating at the end of their encounter; "Let me give you some advice; lose the earring next (time you ask for a loan)."

Frank questionably took thousands of dollars from his U.S. Senate campaign funds to start a group in Alaska, opposing legalization efforts. It's still questionable as to whether or not this was legal.

Frank repeatedly sought to violate Article 1 Section 22 of the State Constitution as it pertained to the 1975 decision in Ravin v State.

As Governor, Frank quadrupled our business license fees, and implemented the tire tax we now deal with. I still have a copy of a letter from Frank's Governor's office to Pete Domenici, supporting virtually revenue-free oil development inside portions of the North Slope.

Frank wanted a jet for the State, (with a wet bar) (*Frank is/was a notorious imbiber of alcohol in the day). The State legislature told then-Governor Murkie, "No." He bought the jet anyway.

Frank was investigated for participation in quid pro quo play as a U.S. Senator, where access to the Bush Administration was concerned, helping out a -very- suspect fellow..

When Bank of the North collapsed during the S&L crisis in the early 80s, he lost LOTS of Bering Straits Corp's $$$, and they took him to court. The rulings in that case state some implicitly enlightening things about Murkie. Murkie, btw, managed to keep his OWN money intact during that time.

Then there were reports years later I heard first-hand, from a person who'd held a responsible position inside BotN, concerning kiting of checks for Murkie's friends who'd temporarily lacked funds, where accounts later balanced; tantamount to interest-free loans for buddies, while the bank was floundering. Evidence of wisdom? Not.

Yeah, I'm not -real- interested in what Murkie has to say about much, especially 'pot.' Though I'm sure he can mix a mean martini a'plenty.""<<<

Jhhnn

Veteran
Mr. Nelson's FB-linked comments are pasted below, re. the Murkowski anti-pot guest editorial.

>>""Mr. Murkowski's bias concerning cannabis is legendary, as are many of his antics both in the U.S. Senate, as Governor, and as President of the failed Bank of the North.

Asking Frank an opinion on cannabis issues is akin to seeking Archie Bunker to ask his thoughts on school integration and equal rights in the 1960s; a waste of time if you're seeking intelligent information.

His article is chock full of distortions lacking in any factual basis and blatantly illogical assertions. If you outlaw regulated commerce, you will have MORE black marketeering, not less. There is no evidence of gangs flocking to Alaska to grow illegal weed. There is ZERO evidence of any outbreak of criminal activity relative to cannabis.

Frank was once approached at Bank of the North by a miner who had plenty of worthy collateral and a positive history extracting gold. He needed start-up $ for his spring operation. Frank turned him down, stating at the end of their encounter; "Let me give you some advice; lose the earring next (time you ask for a loan)."

Frank questionably took thousands of dollars from his U.S. Senate campaign funds to start a group in Alaska, opposing legalization efforts. It's still questionable as to whether or not this was legal.

Frank repeatedly sought to violate Article 1 Section 22 of the State Constitution as it pertained to the 1975 decision in Ravin v State.

As Governor, Frank quadrupled our business license fees, and implemented the tire tax we now deal with. I still have a copy of a letter from Frank's Governor's office to Pete Domenici, supporting virtually revenue-free oil development inside portions of the North Slope.

Frank wanted a jet for the State, (with a wet bar) (*Frank is/was a notorious imbiber of alcohol in the day). The State legislature told then-Governor Murkie, "No." He bought the jet anyway.

Frank was investigated for participation in quid pro quo play as a U.S. Senator, where access to the Bush Administration was concerned, helping out a -very- suspect fellow..

When Bank of the North collapsed during the S&L crisis in the early 80s, he lost LOTS of Bering Straits Corp's $$$, and they took him to court. The rulings in that case state some implicitly enlightening things about Murkie. Murkie, btw, managed to keep his OWN money intact during that time.

Then there were reports years later I heard first-hand, from a person who'd held a responsible position inside BotN, concerning kiting of checks for Murkie's friends who'd temporarily lacked funds, where accounts later balanced; tantamount to interest-free loans for buddies, while the bank was floundering. Evidence of wisdom? Not.

Yeah, I'm not -real- interested in what Murkie has to say about much, especially 'pot.' Though I'm sure he can mix a mean martini a'plenty.""<<<

His daughter, your current Senator, has a whole different take on it-

https://www.adn.com/politics/2017/0...-urge-attorney-general-to-back-off-marijuana/

M

moose eater

Ay, she does. Though she frequently keeps her head tucked relatively low in may controversial issues. The Neo-cons and neo-puritans accuse her of being a D in sheep's clothing.

She takes 'guidance' from corporate lobbyists with the best of them, but manages to hold on to some of her Independent and D base with the occasional stance re. issues such as the ACA, Planned Parenthood, Tx instead of prison, etc. But at times, the transparency of the canned 'talking points' shines through too.

Finding truly solid representation that speaks in consistent heart-felt sincerity in most larger legislative bodies is difficult in general. Sometimes she comes closer than others.

When the metaphorical choices on the ballot are between arsenic or cyanide, the fact that arsenic kills much more slowly, or may not kill effectively, unfortunately comes to matter a whole lot more than I wish it did.

His daughter, your current Senator, has a whole different take on it-

https://www.adn.com/politics/2017/0...-urge-attorney-general-to-back-off-marijuana/

weedtoker

Veteran
Read the "news", lol. I have a small malformation on the heart and am still here lol, and I live in 11-hydroxyland for years, having a body that actually works more and more like it should now... Known people who have serious chronic illness like diabetes/chrohn/what not, and day one after the first edibles, they are always with a big grin, saying they never felt better (independently of the recreational experience), forgot to take meds/had the best glycemic levels in the mornings recorded after edibles. Maybe a worldwide collective illusion of somekind to rec and med users?:dance013:

It seems it'll take some decades (depending on place) for cannabis to be "normal" like any other regulated substance in the social/cultural department. Legalization "seems" Easy st. compared, specially nowadays...

cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts