What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smoking Pot after a Stroke

St. Phatty

I have probably known more than 2 people that had strokes, but 2 that came out and talked about it.

It seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

But I never heard anyone talk about the effect it has on pot smoking.

From doing a web search, it seems that the consensus is -
A/ take it slow and
B/ Cannabis can help people recover from some kinds of strokes.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
tinctures and edibles

coughing is not healthy

I help(ed) treat 2 stroke victims and they smoked as well but I felt it was a bit counter intuitive to their condition

I am using cbd now as well but don't have enough data to say it has made a difference

M

moose eater

A now-deceased dear friend of a family member had a stroke a number of years ago. She died from other issues relative to her circulatory system and degradation of her blood vessels in general, but she swore that her cannabis use had mitigated the otherwise negative affects of her stroke.

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
friend of me had a heart attack week ago. Ofcourse couldnt smoke. But doc wasnt amused we brought him some cookies etc...we ended up taking em home.

I had a silent heart attack and a stroke about 4 years ago. The heart attack was not discovered until about one year after I had it. Three months after it was discovered, I had a stroke - only speech was affected. I smoked weed and tobacco and still do, everyday. Since, I work out regularly, and blood going to the heart increased to 50%, from 35% at the time of the attack.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old man was a nightly smoker pre stroke. Post stroke he never felt the desire, only a bit of tincture now and then to sleep.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've noticed low blood pressure conditions, after using cannabis I've cut early and quick dried without clearing it. You know, the spinning feeling you get after standing or straightening up quickly? I can see where anyone suffering from low blood pressure already would do well to avoid nutrient rich cannabis. There are high blood pressure and low blood pressure strokes.

I've personally helped someone use cannabis edibles to help recover from a stroke. Moderate cbd, low thc worked great for them. Excellent medication. ;)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
already having cannabis in your bloodstream is known to help protect the brain from the damages that strokes can cause; ditto "cold water" drowning etc where the brain is deprived of oxygen etc. it has already been proven as a neuroprotectant. investigations underway on effect on other sources of brain injuries...repeated concussions among them. helllllooooo NFL...:tiphat:

M

moose eater

That's very similar to the report by my family member's deceased friend. In her words, "(her) cannabis use saved (her) life (in re. to the otherwise detrimental outcomes of a stroke)."

Her stroke was years before her death. She lasted a long time enduring the break-down of her circulatory system in general.

She was a long-term cigarette smoker, and they had, earlier, done surgery to open the veins/arteries in her legs.

Near the end of her life, the Docs discovered additional issues with her heart, but by then I believe she'd just accepted that we all return to the dust from which we came, and that further poking and prodding, in light of the pain and indignity of some of what she'd already experienced from long-term care, was over the top, and she declined any further surgical efforts.

But she insisted her weed intake had helped her stroke experience. She was a very Zen woman, and insightful about life in general, well-read and bright, and like all or most of us, with her own history. Another aging hippie with fond memories of those years, gone to meet the sky.

already having cannabis in your bloodstream is known to help protect the brain from the damages that strokes can cause; ditto "cold water" drowning etc where the brain is deprived of oxygen etc. it has already been proven as a neuroprotectant. investigations underway on effect on other sources of brain injuries...repeated concussions among them. helllllooooo NFL...:tiphat:

mr.brunch

Veteran

I think I read in the Jack Herer book that even a small amount of weed just after a stroke dilates the blood vessels, allowing small clots through and avoids some of the damage caused.