What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Police Seaches Drop Dramtically in States That Legalized Marijuana

igrowone

Veteran
Police Searches Drop Dramatically in States that Legalized Marijuana

by Sam Petulla and Jon Schuppe

Traffic searches by highway patrols in Colorado and Washington dropped by nearly half after the two states legalized marijuana in 2012. That also reduced the racial disparities in the stops, according to a new analysis of police data, but not by much. Blacks and Hispanics are still searched at higher rates than whites.
Highway stops have long been a tool in the war on drugs, and remain a charged issue amid a furious national debate about police treatment of minorities. Last week, protests erupted over the acquittal of a Minnesota police officer who shot to death Philando Castile after pulling him over for a broken tail light.

The overuse of traffic stops can damage the public trust in police, particularly when searches disproportionately involve black and Hispanic drivers.
“Searches where you don’t find something are really negative towards a community," said Jack McDevitt, director of Northeastern University’s Institute on Race and Justice in Boston. "Have a police officer search your car is really like, 'Why are they doing this to me?' And you get more pissed off. If you’re trying to do relationship building, it’s not a good thing to do a lot of searches.”

The analysis comes from data crunched by the Stanford Open Policing Project, a team of researchers and statisticians that collected more than 60 million records of traffic stops and searches by highway patrol officers in 22 states. By sharing the data, the group aims to promote a deeper understanding of the patterns and motivations behind the most common interaction Americans have with police.
The data compiled by the Stanford group is limited in that it is not uniform across states. Each of the country's law enforcement agencies track traffic stops differently, and some don't release the data publicly. In the end, the group compiled data from 20 states that was deep enough to allow a rigorous analysis. Colorado and Washington were compared against 12 of these states to arrive at the conclusion that marijuana legalization likely had an effect on search rates.
In both states, marijuana legalization eliminated one of the major justifications used by police officers to stop motorists, cutting searches by more than 40 percent after legalization. In Colorado, the change occurred gradually, with searches dropping initially by 30 percent, and then flatting out to a more than 50-percent drop within a year.
In Washington, there was a drop of more than 50 percent in searches within three months of legalization. The search rate remained low thereafter. The 12 states in the Stanford study that did not pass marijuana decriminalization legislation during the period did not experience significant drops.
The biggest finding ─ and one that mirrors the results of investigations in individual states and jurisdictions ─ is that minorities are still stopped and searched at higher rates than white drivers. The threshold before a search is performed is also lower for minority drivers than it is for whites, according to the researchers at Stanford behind the Open Policing Project.
Those differences remained in Colorado and Washington even after searchers dropped following pot legalization.
Jack Glaser, a professor of public policy at the University of California, Berkeley, said that although the disparities persisted, the overall drop in searches means that fewer minorities would be unfairly targeted.
"As long as police officers (like the rest of us) hold implicit or explicit stereotypes associating minorities with crime, they will perceive minorities as more suspicious," Glaser wrote in an email.
In both states, the analysis excludes searches incident to an arrest. Those searches are not a good barometer for the searches officers conduct after making a stop at their own discretion, the researchers said.

© 2017 NBCnews.com

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Go figure, this is exactly the opposite of what the no-crowd said would happen if auma passed.

Leo will gradually focus on other shit and leave herb smokers alone for good eventually.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hmm? That link states Traffic searches by highway patrols in Colorado and Washington dropped by nearly half after the two states legalized marijuana in 2012
So traffic stops aside.
I was getting boot on the ground reports telling of busting all the illegal grows one after another, day after day and they also talked about the mess left by the growers leaving before the cop got there, aprently this is not a secret and some may have even been notified.
This info can be found here on icmag.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hmm? That link states Traffic searches by highway patrols in Colorado and Washington dropped by nearly half after the two states legalized marijuana in 2012
So traffic stops aside.
I was getting boot on the ground reports telling of busting all the illegal grows 1 after another, day after day and they also talked about the mess left by the growers leaving before the cop got there, aprently this is not a secret and some may have even been notified.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Perdon officer, yo no soy hispanico, yo soy blanco pero yo meira equal hispancio, yo soy blanco puro, vamos.

M

moose eater

Cops have used weed, the smell of weed, etc. as a shake-down 'gimme' forever. It was stated by some more honest LEOs to be one reason why they opposed legalization.

I heard one cop -claim- in an interview that over 90% of his felony arrests began with (cannabis).

I don't believe his numbers for an instant, other than for the fact that the "I smell weed" assertion has been used as the basis for the aforementioned shake-downs for as long as there's been a War On (Some) Drugs. Whether they were primarily searching for cannabis or not.

With weed legal, they lose much of that (depending on whether it's in immediate reach of the driver or not).

Let 'em work for a living.

OldPhart

So traffic stops aside.
I was getting boot on the ground reports telling of busting all the illegal grows 1 after another, day after day and they also talked about the mess left by the growers leaving before the cop got there, aprently this is not a secret and some may have even been notified.

The key word there is "ILLEGAL". I know you don't think anyone should have to pay taxes or follow laws, but these ILLEGAL growers are going to f' it up for people that just want to grow and smoke their own. They *the illegal growers* have already made it much more difficult to get high plant count med licences.

M

moose eater

But the article states overall searches are down in number.

Well before Alaska had legalized and taxed sales, we had the Crocker Decision (Anchor Point case), that further bolstered the 1975 Ravin Decision in Ravin V State (Privacy under Article 1, Section 22 of the State's Constitution). The Crocker Decision stated the smell of cannabis or an electric bill, etc., was not sufficient grounds for a warrant. That unless cops had significant evidence that the number of plants involved was indicative of an illegal grow op, they weren't even permitted to -request- a warrant.

IOW, there had to be some credible evidence/testimony from a believable witness that the number of plants involved was excessive (at that time, greater than 24 plants), and/or that there was illegal/commercial traffic going on. (*Crocker had made repeated large cash payments to the bank for a home in Anchor Point)

Of course, that doesn't stop Johnny Law from claiming what ever s/he wants on an affidavit, but it's another circle of protection for 'privacy.'

So here, with the combined effect of Crocker and Ravin bolstered by our most recent layer of legal personal cultivation, whether a grow is legal or not, (assuming we're not talking about an electric bill that makes average persons faint, or obvious evidence of trafficking), the "I smell weed" or "it smells like you have too much weed," become moot issues... Again, in theory, as Johnny Law lies more than the average witness in court, per Alan Dershowitz's testimony to Congress, other testimony to that affect, and anecdotal evidence of such.

The key word there is "ILLEGAL". I know you don't think anyone should have to pay taxes or follow laws, but these ILLEGAL growers are going to f' it up for people that just want to grow and smoke their own. They *the illegal growers* have already made it much more difficult to get high plant count med licences.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
What's happene is that the state patrol has quit hassling regular peeps over weed in the car because it's pointless, a waste of time. Very few will have anything over the legal limit of a zip.

The cops are concentrating their efforts on highly illegal out of state shippers & coordinating with the DEA. The deal is that CO needs to make an effort to keep it in state to protect the whole deal, so they do. Cops in adjacent states are hot to bust transporters & traffickers, & they coordinate with the DEA, as well. They use the data from rat phones collected during busts & general lack of operational security to do their thing on growers.

St. Phatty

I read an article about the Obama administration giving grants to police departments that made Cannabis Possession arrests.

Hard to double check it. I think you'd have to work for a police department, or the corresponding office in the federal government, to see the details of a program like that - if it did happen.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I read an article about the Obama administration giving grants to police departments that made Cannabis Possession arrests.

Hard to double check it. I think you'd have to work for a police department, or the corresponding office in the federal government, to see the details of a program like that - if it did happen.

There's been an awful lot of whining from neighboring states about being "forced" to bust pot tourists coming out of CO with small amounts. That's what the Nebraska Oklahoma lawsuit was all about, the one the SCOTUS pushed back in their faces w/o comment.

Their wounds are self inflicted.

OldPhart

There's been an awful lot of whining from neighboring states about being "forced" to bust pot tourists coming out of CO with small amounts. That's what the Nebraska Oklahoma lawsuit was all about, the one the SCOTUS pushed back in their faces w/o comment.

Their wounds are self inflicted.

It would be funny to know how the number of auto searches has changed in neighboring states. I'm sure it pisses of the neighboring states, they have to work their ass off to bust people to make their money; while they know there is a fortune driving down the highway.

Jhhnn

Veteran
It would be funny to know how the number of auto searches has changed in neighboring states. I'm sure it pisses of the neighboring states, they have to work their ass off to bust people to make their money; while they know there is a fortune driving down the highway.

It costs a fortune to actually prosecute people. Sometimes the cops & the courts end u at cross purpses, depending on who gets to keep the money made from confiscated autos & belongings...

Some cop shops just make it into the best of both worlds- One of my neighbors' sons was busted for some piddling amount nearly a year ago someplace in Texas while he was on vacation. They kept his late model car & everything in it, kicked him loose on PR even though he's a CO resident, never set a court date. I'm sure they would if he tried to get his shit back... Straight up policing for profit. The only answer is to just STFU & never go back.