What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bloom Stage Growth Characteristics

EL1M1N80R

Looking to switch to a bloom cycle in the very near future and I have a long weekend planned end of next month.

I am unsure about the charactaristics of the plant growing in the bloom stage. What should I expect?

I have heard they can stretch 2 to 3 X in height.

Is there an inital surge in growth followed by a decline in stem growth and more focus on bud development.

Or does is grow at a steady constant uniform rate throught?

w3rds

what is your strain? my current grow had 2 indica and 1 sativa, the indicas grew about 30 percent, the sativa grew 300 percent. Of course the sativa will take me an extra month of flowering to mature.

did you top, lst, scrog, etc? your growth pattern in flower depends a lot on that too.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Yes it is completely strain dependent, as is length of flowering. Some flower heavy from the start, and some weak and stretch like hell. Do a google on the strain name , with the word strain after it. Strain finder has a link the describes exactly how most strains grow, from peoples reports.

EL1M1N80R

I have them under a ScrOG.

Unfortunately I don't know the strain. It was a Nirvana Freebee.

I got 2 freebees cracked in the winter and the one I have set for bloom was more tall and skinny compared to the other one, it was more short and chunky. Unfortunately it turned out to be a male. These were under a 125 CFL.

I have the lanky one under a 400 MH and it is staying low and growing way more bushy under MH, although I read MH lamps keep plants low and bushy.

I will swap over to a 600w HPS for bloom. It's in a tent so height will inevitably be a concern especially if it's a sativa.

I did assume the lanky plant is Sativa dominant. What would I expect to see from a Sativa Strain growth wise in the first few weeks in comparison to an Indica?
I would like to gauge early on in the bloom phase if possible.

I don't want to come back for a long weekend away to bleached out plants.

troutman

Seed Whore
You could always start flowering with the MH.
Once sex signs happen switch to the HPS.
This should minimize your stretching.

w3rds

Look at the fan leaves, thin leaves with gaps means sativa, wider leaves with spacing only near the tips means indica. Plan for 3x height at 12/12 switch to be safe, but will probably wont grow too much since you break the vertical grow habit when you scrog.

EL1M1N80R

Look at the fan leaves, thin leaves with gaps means sativa, wider leaves with spacing only near the tips means indica. Plan for 3x height at 12/12 switch to be safe, but will probably wont grow too much since you break the vertical grow habit when you scrog.

I am thinking Sativa. Compared to the other plant I had, it was thin and tall with thin leaves.
It certainly has bushed out a bit under the metal halide.

Latest posts

Latest posts