What's new

pollinating one plant with multiple different males pollen

doams

Lets say we have one female plant in flower.
there are 10 budsites on her.

Is it possible to pollinate her 10 budsites each with different pollen and get 10 different crosses off one plant?
:D

Yes, but you risk cross contamination and you will never know what each seed is you can only assume.

If you were to use multiple males of all the same strain that would be called an open pollination. It's a tool used for breeding with the intended purpose of diversity in the resulting fillial generation.

Americangrower

Veteran
Yes you can, just use a qtip to dab bud with each pollen just lightly touch the pistil's..it doesn't take much pollen. Use a new qtip for every pollen. Be sure and tag each bud to know what pollen it is

w3rds

This has got me curious. Could you take the pollen from a hermie, pollinate a single bud site to propagate fem seeds, but still grow quality buds at the other budsites? Or, would the fact that it was pollinated cause all bud development to slow?

Americangrower

Veteran
This has got me curious. Could you take the pollen from a hermie, pollinate a single bud site to propagate fem seeds, but still grow quality buds at the other budsites? Or, would the fact that it was pollinated cause all bud development to slow?

pollinating 1 lower bud will not affect the quality of the other buds. I have done it many times. I never did it with a hermie tho because I don't do female seeds.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
To avoid cross-contamination you can share the polen into 10 seperate small paper bags/envelopes or similar(well away from females)and cover each site or branch with them and close the bags round them..... leave them on for 1-3 days then spray water mist as you remove them one by one to de-activate stray pollen. JBo ;)