What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

old stoner

waveguide

Veteran
i had one of those life changing events last year which will inevitably happen to you if you live long enough. i quit posting because everything else became meaningless. marijuana legalisation, or even acceptance, tolerance, would have changed everything. we all know and we all deal with that, and i don't want to waste my words and time repeating what we all know. don't ask what happened, you can figure it out, and i don't want to talk about it.

i'm not going to be around much as i can use my time to make stronger contributions elsewhere in culture (and i failed at getting a grow together this fall), but i did have a few notes i wanted to share.

first of all, to get it out of the way, the industry is for consumers a pleasant distraction from the rigors of contemporary life. i enjoyed being able to log in, even when i wasn't stoned, and spend some time thinking about pleasant things. thanks for sharing :tiphat:

i lost the ability to discern the flavour and quality of my weed because everything else in my life paled in comparison. i've collated a bunch of strains and crosses, and it was all meaningless. a bit of weed was somewhat of an ease, but i really couldn't taste it or care if it was sativa or indica or anything. when the day comes it's just weed (i know that won't go over well..) i can taste and discern more now, but i won't slip all the way back into "connoseur sensibilites" afterwards, it's like shoes that don't fit anymore. i wanted to share that - chasing after "really good strains" is a great distraction from the morass of contemporary society, but often, those energies could probably have been better invested somewhere else. pointless to say really, personal experience.

there are two strains/qualities that stand out in my memory though..... the first i don't know what it was... a strong menthol flavour i lost the seeds for a long time ago. that quality is hard to find and a lot of people react badly to it because it's astringent and makes the mouth tingle in a way people don't always like. but the menthol has amazing qualities for athsma (and dilating for bigger hits) so i'm talking about it so someone can pull their thumb out of their ass and share that with the world. ed's stargazer is one strain that's definately supposed to be menthol but i've (yeah just me haha) never got any of his beans to pop.

the other strain is mandala satori - i bought one seed last year (always lucky) and the (micro) grow was neglected, so i ended up with a bud the size of a tootsie pop with one seed which didn't turn out the same.

this satori pheno was alright smoke, but the star quality was an amazing earthy, mellow flavour (people describe as tobacco??) that was so incredibly smooth.. i've been through ~60 strains and been smoking since the 80s and never encountered anything close to it.

but you know, it's hardly worth talking about what you think is special, because people love to chase things, and the market is full of vying opinions.

alright - there are a few other notes i wanted to mention.

one thing i've definately learned is that sparkle isn't important. the plant that is covered in trichomes doesn't get me as high compared to the one that doesn't look like anything.

i won some MOC zensation beans a while back and they were well decent. i don't remember moc getting a lot of love but they were worth this expression of gratitude.

i had a couple of micro grow sativas that weathered the neglect. SOA pondo mystic was a nice fast sativa, smoked the leaves off the six month dead plant for a few weeks. nothing unusual but there weren't a lot of reports when i used to read here.

finally grew malawi. yes it did taste like cooked carrots, which is really avoidable imo. smoked most of it a long time ago and wasn't impressed, just sativa leaning, plants grew large and fast though. the female was seedsman's version, plant habit similar to SOA's. i bowled the dried scrap off that plant last night (and the months of dust settled on it) and noticed it took a comparatively long time for the high to set in, and when it did, it was quite strong compared to my other plant dried leaf garbage, so if there's a next time i'll wait a few more months on the cure. and the hand i covered the bowl with smelled pretty good, kind of complex and interesting. better than carrots for sure.

something to read from an aging stoner.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I always look for parallels I can relate to, make it personal.

My life changing events were non operable cancer in 2006 with a median death of ten years, getting arrested by the FBI, and having three heart attacks causing, finally, a stent with a finite life to be put in a coronal artery. This is all coming to a head within a fairly short time.
Any one of which could be considered life changing, enough so I do not believe I will be available for sharing much longer.

I said stuff like that almost three years ago yet here I am, posting again and living on bonus time. Double points, triple if I make summer.

I am trying hard to share all I have learned as well, but not in this thread, this is yours if you wish to continue.
You are not alone.

EDIT: Well, you were vague, I believe we fight the same enemy. If I may be vague as well, the edge's vantage point gives a clearer view than from the forest.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hear you on getting tired of it all. Give it a rest and see later. I am chasing old highs not flavor and I think that is even harder to get.

It may be all about the chase after all.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
... I am chasing old highs not flavor and I think that is even harder to get.

But you experienced those old highs with a young brain. Will an old brain experience the same high?

You can never step into the same river twice.

PS I'm pursuing the same anyway.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
But you experienced those old highs with a young brain. Will an old brain experience the same high?

You can never step into the same river twice.

PS I'm pursuing the same anyway.

No, you will not get the same high as when a teen.. I got tripped out when a teen but also when 28 off of some Hawaiian. So the strain does figure into it at least for me.

When I got tripped out as a teen it was not often or with many strains. A select few.

wumpyc

I hear you on getting tired of it all. Give it a rest and see later. I am chasing old highs not flavor and I think that is even harder to get.

It may be all about the chase after all.
Tracking with my windshields down tracking till i hit the ground :joint: