What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advanced Nutrients- Rhino Skin: Experience?

Sensibowl

It's like basically every other nutrient or additive in that the smart grower ALWAYS starts out below what's printed on the label.

I don't care what you're talking about, blindly mixing at the rate on the label is just asking for trouble. Are there products that with certain strain and growroom settings will be perfectly fine at 100% strength? Sure. Should you EVER bet your plants on that if you're not already familiar with the product?

Not in a million years!

Simple answer: ALWAYS START LIGHT.

You can dial it up if you want, but it's much harder to un-burn your plants.

YES!!!!!!!

YOu should always start out lighter than the bottle says.

I haven't used Rhino yet, but I hear it's worth adding to a grow.

Mia

As previously stated, Rhino Skin is just less concentrated potassium silicate.
That's why it's coco safe. It's too weak to screw up as opposed to having to be more careful with the more concentrated stuff.lol(they bend you over and then tell you they're doing you a favor)
If you like paying more for the same thing, go for it, it's your money.

if you are wanting to use this to make your plants stronger cool if your trying to do that and use it as a ph up dont silicablast or grotek is better for that this dont rise the ph much but does raise the ppm

i switched from KISS to the ph perfect connisuer line couldt be happier and will continue to buy rhino skin if i was useing kiss still i would go with one of the others

bud-e

Not all silicates are created equal. Some are better than others because silica isn't something plants easily absorb. It's the main thing in sand - not exactly water soluble in its natural form.

The more water soluble the ion the more expensive it generally is. That's the main reason behind price variations from nute to nute. It may not be 100% true in every case, but generally speaking if something costs more it's because it uses higher quality ingredients.

TLoft13

Check out bud-es other posts if you like to hear more about Advanced Nutrients products and how awesome they are.

cultiv8

LOL I have a VERY nice bridge to sell you.

He's telling the truth. He never said it was always the case, but for the most part if two similar products have different prices the more expensive one is usually better made in some way. Better materials, better craftsmanship, something.

If you charge more than your competition you lose business to them when people decide solely on price. So it doesn't make sense to charge more without a good reason.

Hardwood furniture with real leather costs more than particleboard with fake leather. No one's saying that higher price always means better product, simply that it's usually a good indication.

It just depends on what you want, what you want to pay for it, and whether you believe the value matches the price. I don't see any reason to call someone names (by implying that they're gullible as you did here) simply because they have a different opinion on the value of one brand of nutrients than you do.

GanjaPharma

if i remember correctly
rhino skin is 1%
botanicare is 3.5%
dynagrow is 7%ish?
yellow bottle is like...52%

i mix a 100 gallon rez. i suppose if you mix 5 gallons at a time rhino skin makes sense? oh and if you are too incompetent to mix with plenty water before adding calmag/nutes etc...mebe it makes sense.

or mebe if you splash around alot and get som in yer eyes a bunch? mebe 1% makes sense there too...

if i sold AN nutes, thats what i would tell my customers:
"mr customer, you are obviously an idiot, and my company wants to keep you from blinding yourself, or mixing your silica improperly...sooooo since you are obviosly made of money, help ME help YOU"
isnt big mike in hiding?

-----
and an update on APTUS fasilitator.
it worked great, no PM (thats my big one with silica) and the next crop (side by side with dynagrow) was great too...no real difference at all.

so if you wanna pay $$ go the aptus route, at least you are paying for something DIFFERENT.

aptus is full of it though when they say fasilitator will stop stretch, just aint true.

Imagenetic2935

Always with the AN bashing.... No one wants to hear it...
Got 1L of Rhino skin for 22$ at my local shop. Works fairly well. Ultimately, as someone already pointed out, it's whatever works for you. That's which one is best.

clown baby

My experience with Rhino Skin is that it is priced at 40 dollars a quart at the local grow store. It is a blend of silicates.

However one pound of AgSil 16H potassium silicate (Si02) is 12 dollars :woohoo:.

Great suggestion for an alternative here. Except potassium silicate is K2O3Si and SiO2 is silicon dioxide.

google agsil 16h. 1.5 lbs makes the equivalent of 1 gallon dynagro protekt

Latest posts

Latest posts