What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marihuana in Canada & U.S.,borrowed from R.C.M.P. website :) (long)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Marihuana in Canada & U.S.,borrowed from R.C.M.P. website :) (long)

"Criminal Intelligence Directorate"
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Ottawa, July 2004

...Marihuana

Marihuana cultivation is by no means a new phenomenon in Canada. It has been practiced for several decades from coast to coast. Today, the extent of this illicit activity, the involvement of organized crime, and the potency of the drug are what differentiate the current situation from that which prevailed before the early nineties.

Demand

According to Health Canada, there is a significant level of demand for marihuana in Canada, particularly among youth. Based on survey data, rates of marihuana use in the total population have remained stable at approximately 23 percent for lifetime use and approximately 7 percent for past year use. Student surveys reflect much higher marihuana use rates: rates of past year use vary from 16 percent to 38 percent but are typically near 30 percent.

Supply

For the last five years, Canadian law enforcement agencies seized annually an average of 1.1 million marihuana plants, a six-fold increase since 1993. Based on seizures and average yield per plant, the current annual production estimate could likely range between 800 and 2,000 metric tonnes. In previous years, the 800 tonne estimate was arrived at using a 25 percent seizure ratio. In 2003, it was decided to use a range estimate maintaining the 25 percent ratio for the low-end and a 10 percent seizure ratio for the high-end range (i.e. 2,000 tonnes). For some police forces, investigations into marihuana grow operations represent more than half of their drug cases.

Multi-thousand plant operations are no longer uncommon. On January 16, 2003, in Chilliwack, BC, police uncovered four large metal barns housing a marihuana grow complex where over 3,000 plants were seized. On March 11, 2003, a fire at a residence in St-Rémi d’Amherst, Quebec led to the discovery of an indoor grow operation where over 12,000 marihuana plants were being cultivated. On July 3, 2003, in Camrose, Alberta, police discovered that marihuana growers were using a pig barn to cultivate over 10,145 plants. On September 3, 2003, Laval police dismantled grow operations located in five rental units within the same industrial park complex and seized over 10,000 plants in total.

In spite of the plentiful supply of domestic marihuana, importation conspiracies continue. In 2003, nearly 755 kilograms of foreign marihuana were seized in or en route to Canada.

THC (Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) levels in Canada

For several years now, one of the most frequently reported aspects of marihuana production in Canada has been the Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, levels associated with Canadian marihuana. Increasingly, Canadian marihuana is being referred to as “high-grade,” with reported THC levels averaging 20percent or more. It should be pointed out, however, that such statements are not quite accurate. According to Health Canada official laboratory analyses of marihuana (grown outdoor and indoor) samples since 1998, THC levels average 10 percent. One single marihuana exhibit in the last two-years did test at a THC level of 27 percent. However, the majority, or some 60 percent of exhibits, recorded THC levels of 9 percent or less, and 32 percent of exhibits had THC levels of between 10 percent and 14 percent.

Criminality

Police in all provinces are reporting marihuana cultivation as one of their main drug enforcement problems (See Appendix B: Marihuana Seizures in 2003 by Province and Territory). This criminal activity has reached levels that could be deemed epidemic in the provinces of British Columbia (B.C.), Ontario and Quebec. Interdictions on the highways, at bus, train and domestic airport terminals clearly indicate that BC is fast becoming a source of marihuana for the Prairie provinces and other eastbound destinations.

On October 16, during a routine traffic stop of a tractor trailer in Saskatchewan along the Trans-Canada Highway, police found 236 kilograms of marihuana hidden among its cargo. The drugs were destined for Brampton, Ontario. On March 16, at a weighing station in Manitoba, Transport officers located 272 kilograms of marihuana hidden in the commercial shipment of a tractor trailer which was en route to Ontario. On December 20, at the same weighing station, another tractor trailer was intercepted with 290 kilograms of marihuana again destined for Ontario.

Violence

Violence has always been an intrinsic part of the production, trafficking and distribution of illicit drugs, and marihuana is no exception. The general consensus among law enforcement is that violent incidents are on the rise in most areas of the country, although this increase cannot be quantified through hard data at this point. Home invasions, drug rip-offs, burglaries, assaults, and murders, are only a few examples of the dangers that are par for the course when dealing in drugs. Booby traps of all sorts, usually intended to protect the grow operations from thieves, are reported. In April 2004, in a rural area in southwest Quebec, a man was shot and killed when he inadvertently triggered his own booby trap (a 12 gauge shotgun).

Export of Canadian Marihuana to the U.S.

The export of Canadian marihuana to the U.S. has become a thriving industry across Canada, particularly in BC, Ontario and Quebec. Seizures of marihuana going south, proceeds coming north, and cocaine coming north (purchased with marihuana proceeds) clearly support this trend. This industry has brought about an abundance of U.S. currency in Canada. Some marihuana traffickers are conducting black market currency exchange. Some also deal with unscrupulous currency exchange businesses that charge a premium to handle the transactions discreetly.

Despite the preceding, most of the marihuana available on the American illicit market still originates primarily in the U.S. and in Mexico. Canada ranks far below Mexico as a source for the U.S.

Marihuana Production in the United States

U.S. authorities continue to report that their primary source of marihuana remains the United States. Two recent reports on U.S. drug issues (the International Narcotics Control Strategy Report released by the Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, March 2004 and the National Drug Threat Assessment 2004 released by the US National Drug Intelligence Center),

have tentatively estimated that there are approximately 10,000 metric tonnes of marihuana produced in the United States annually.

There is a perception in the enforcement community that the greater portion (possibly over two thirds) of this marihuana is cultivated outdoors.

THC levels in the United States

The University of Mississippi conducts on an ongoing basis a Marihuana Potency Monitoring Program to determine THC levels in marihuana samples provided for analysis.
From 2000 to 2003, commercial grade marihuana (U.S. general designation for marihuana cultivated outdoors) had an average of 4.91 percent while sinsemilla marihuana (designation for marihuana in bud form) averaged 11.28 percent of THC.
The highest THC level obtained was 33 percent from a sample from an Oregon case in 1997.

[33%! :D ]

Last edited:
G

The highest THC level obtained was 33percent from a sample from an Oregon case in 1997.

Wish we knew what strain it was, because i want that 33% THC buds. Nothing has change in Canada, just like they said. People have been growing there for years and now they are getting good strains and exporting a shit load of Beast to us un the USA and keeping the good shit. Most of my family is from CA and they tell me it's just the USA trying to start shit with them and have them fall into line with the rest of the world on Cannabis. Most of my family has no problem with cannabis and most of the Canadain don't also. So, what the problem then. The USA is trying to fuck with their trading. Good article and post.

G

I think that it is very strange that MULTIPLE countries are putting out ads that are using the line " how high the THC is in cannabis now-a-days, That is why they are so worried."
But hell, if you think about it, if the propogana were actually true, why in the world would people be trying to make it stronger? People have Always strived to make a better and better strains. Why now is it so important to start hammering on the potency issue. Its illegal whether it was good shit, or crappy swag!!
It just shows that the cannabis culture will not die, NO matter how much the GovernmentS of the world try to put a stop to it!!!:D

G

I read somewhere that a Magus strain like Warlock or Exile tested out of this world numbers like that 31 or 32%.

JLP posted a study on here one time that had like 30 strains with there test results lined up and it had alot of cool shiy hittin high marks.

Tex

G

WoW, that's some strong stuff. I agree with Ms.Grat3ful, becuase they are losing and alot of people these days know and think pot should be aloud to be smoked in the home by adults and not a crime. It's really gets me thinking and you see people vote in Cali and Hawaii and they vote into law that they want Cannabis for sick people. They have the numbers and they pass the law. Then the Fed's jump in a say stuff like "We are protecting the people" Well the people have spoken and voted in state law to leave med use alone. When i'm in class and i get into it with a teacher. I just tell them. "WE THE PEOPLE, NOT BUSH OR ARE FUCKED UP GOV., BUT WE THE PEOPLE" What even happen to the people and what they want. OH, i forgot. GREED.

Hawaii here i come.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Ain't your Granpappy's weed...

Ain't your Granpappy's weed...

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

U.S. drug czar warns of potent pot here

By COLIN McDONALD
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

The potency of the marijuana grown locally and in British Columbia has attracted the attention of the White House and its drug czar.

"This is not the substance you joked about in the '60s," said John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. "We have a greater reason for concern."

Walters visited Seattle yesterday to raise awareness of increased levels of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, an ingredient in marijuana that produces a high. And he met with officials from a new state program at Harborview Medical Center designed to counsel emergency room patients who abuse drugs.

"You have more of it here, and it's more powerful," he said. "The production of 'BC Bud' has exploded."

"BC Bud" is a potent form of marijuana smuggled in from Canada.

According to data from the federal Drug Abuse Warning Network, the mention of marijuana as a reason for an emergency room visit increased nearly 200 percent from 1994 to 2002. Walters used the data to try to dispel the idea of marijuana as a harmless drug.

"We know cigarettes kill more people than any illegal drug. This is not about if you die from a particular overdose -- it's about addiction."

But officials at Harborview, the region's major trauma center, are less worried about marijuana addiction than they are about all drug and alcohol abuse.

"If we could just stop people hurting themselves while drinking, it would make a huge difference," said Dr. Michael Copass, director of emergency services at Harborview. "On some days, (the proportion of people who have abused alcohol or drugs make up) better than three-fourths of the visits."

complete article

Latest posts

Latest posts