What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellowing Seedlings

wickyd

What to do!? my seedlings are yellowing! check out my signiature for pics if you would please.

I dont know what to do with them!

wickyd

wickyd

well, the light was real close, up until around a week ago, but it has a good 2 feet between the light and plants now. and the plants drain everytime I water them... I've got holes down in the bottom, and I water them everytime they get pretty dry... 2-3 days.

The temps are low-mid 80's down where the plants are, the top of the cabinet is around 86F... and the humidity is real low here, 40-50%

What should I be doing day to day with the seedlings? anything?

Last edited:

wickyd

alright! thanks mr. Farmer! Do I need to lay off the ferts for a while then?

when should I start feeding?

omega7

Just in case I missed it what kind soil do you use or what is your soil mix? the soil might be too hot. A lot of people try to use a hot soil too soon. Did you add anything like bone or blood meal? A few years back I mixed up some soil to transplant my flowering ladies into and because I was stoned and forgot to label the rubbermaid tub as a hot mix I ended up using it for some seedlings a few weeks later and they fried like an egg. After a big OH FUCK!, I figured what I had did. So I slapped myself.

wickyd

I'm using Miracle Grow Organic Soil , its not a very hot soil at all, and I didnt mix anything with it. I think its related to PH/heat at this point, but Im not too sure yet. Still doing some tests

wickyd

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
What PH is the soil? Are you adjusting the PH in the water your feeding them? PH can be a finnicking little bastard sometimes :p

bartender187

wickyd

thats why I think its the PH, I havent been able to test in a few days, I dont have anymore ph testing strips and have been unable to go get some...

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
looks like water

looks like water

The photo's just look like they were over-watered a couple of times.The will grow right by this,no worries.Just make sure and dry the soil pretty good(at least a couple inches down in cups).Seedlings do better in small square pots from my experience.Cups have a hard time drying enough towards the bottom.It's worse the taller the cup you use.They end up staying wet in the bottom couple of inches and don't get oxegen to the roots down there.If possible cut a few small holes up the side about an inch from the bottom.This will greatly aid in equal drying of your soil mix.Maybe 4 holes equally spaced around the cup would be great.:) The soil staying too wet will eventually start locking up nutrients for the little buggers.:(
Take care,I'm sure they are going to do fine!!:) ..........................CC

Like the bartender said,it could easily be a PH problem also.

wickyd

thanks crip, I wait 2 days before I Water, but do they need to dry out completely before watering again? not moist at all?

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
IMHO testing strips can be inaccurate, im sure i can dig up a link to a electronic PH tester (costs around 20 dollars)

bartender187

omega7

Go on ebay and get a tds meter and ph pen for 46.00usd including shipping. "thesilvergenie" has them both for cheap. I think thats the company name though not sure if its the user id as well. shouldnt be hard to find. here you go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4312399512&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=294&item=5709605227

the ph pen is a little pricey, but together they are a deal cause this guy has pretty cheap shipping plus with both purchased one is shipped free. They arent the best, but they arte the best for the price. They will make measuring nutes and PH way way easier.

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
just slightly moist down deep.

just slightly moist down deep.

You don't want to damage the roots by letting them dry too much but they must dry out most of the way.It's something you have to get a feel for.Another thing that helps is to cultivate the soils surface after watering.After you water the surface gets kind of a solid flat harder feel to it.It's harder for oxegen to penatrate this surface soil.Just stir the top layer and break up the hard flat surface.This will let oxegen down to the roots much better and will let the containers dry faster.The faster they dry,the faster your plants will grow!This back and forth process let's the most amount of oxegen to the root level and this is MUCHO IMPORTANTO for rapid growth!A really good breeze in the growroom will cause the plants to dry the containers faster also.And also aid in big sturdy stems.(the thicker you get the stem and branches,the bigger the buds that will sit atop them!)

I'm sure you will get this little problem figured out,it seems like you are on track now.Good luck with your crop:) Take care.............................CC

wickyd

Thanks so much guys, I have a lot of things to look for and think about... I really didnt expect this much help, you guys have proven to be quite the benevolent community once more. Once I learn, I hope to help out too

wickyd

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
omega7 said:
Go on ebay and get a tds meter and ph pen for 46.00usd including shipping. "thesilvergenie" has them both for cheap. I think thats the company name though not sure if its the user id as well. shouldnt be hard to find. here you go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4312399512&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=294&item=5709605227

the ph pen is a little pricey, but together they are a deal cause this guy has pretty cheap shipping plus with both purchased one is shipped free. They arent the best, but they arte the best for the price. They will make measuring nutes and PH way way easier.
After reading this {and being a noob who's still collecting the necessaries} I went to eBay and ordered these meters.

TheSilverGenie is awesome to work with! After doing the Buy It Now, I changed my mind and decided to up my order to the TDS-4 {w/ thermometer}. Unfortunately, eBay does not offer a way to change an order once made. I contacted the Seller {Cindy}, who responded within hours how we could accomplish the change. {I added the $4 extra dollars to the total in eBay, and she's handling the rest internally}

My meters are being shipped out today, I am told, and I should receive them within a couple of days! :cool:

[edit] Off Topic, but I have also recently won an auction on eBay for a 400 watt HPS. That, too, should be coming in thise week! :cool: :D :cool: [/edit]

Last edited:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Buzz Bob check your PM, i got an offer for you. I would hate for that nice setup to go to waste :)

bartender187

Latest posts

Latest posts