What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how does every1 start their beans off??

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hiya, i was just wondering, what technique every1 uses to germ theyre beans. i have left em in water, and used the paper towel in a plastic bag method, some success, some failure 4 both, how does every1 else do it??

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
how long shouild they take, coz im starting 2 lots off, my 8 mixed sativa x skunk#1, are all cracked, and just about 6tap rooted, but the orange bud i have been trying 2 start just wont crack, same method,

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
the northern lights i am 4 wks from cutting down were just soaked in water in a shot glass, and all cracked, and tapped, within 48 hrs,

G

the trouble with the paper towel method is that you have to handle a sprouted seed, thus allowing room for human error.

I have never needed to use this method.

1) I soak the seeds in filthy London tap water for 24 hours, by this time they should have sunk to the bottom of the container, and most of the seeds should have split (showing a tiny bit of the sprout/root/whatever it is)

2) Place seeds in growing medium about 1cm depth.

3) In 3-7 days you'll see the shoot/baby plant poking out of the medium.

No need to handle delicate semi sprouted seeds, that should be in the medium at this point!

i bought a cheapo little dome and tray for 5 bucks at hydroharrys.com, soak a paper towl in luke warm water, fold it and put into the dome, put seeds inside paper towl, set dome on top of tv. I get a 90-100 percent germ rate using this method, and usually they pop in 12 hours, go into rockwool asap, pop outa rockwool a day later.

G

I start mine out in a shot glass for a 24 hour soak in a super diluted solution of r/o or distilled water and Superthrive. Just a very very small amount of superthrive.(it's easy to overdo)

The viable beans typically sink within a couple of hours. I tap the top of the beans periodically to break the water tension on the surface helping the beans to sink.

After 24 hours I put the beans into a folded paper towel and in a ziplock bag. Beans usually crack and show a tail within a day or so. Once I have a decent little tail I put the sprout in a rapid rooter starter cube. Sprout show their head in a day or so and roots out the bottom of the cube in a couple of days.

I then put the rooter cube into my hydro media and off to the races.

Tex

paper towel and tap water for me and at room temprature - but between 2 dinner plates rather than in a ziplock - its always worked for me - but whatever works for you

- if it works don't fug with it

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
ive got my technique now, i been waitin agaes for some to sprout in paper towel, so i started some more last night, in a sponge waashcloth, and placed it wet in a tupperware container, ontop of my cable box, theyve cracked already, and 1 of them, has a 3 mil tap , which wasnt there at 11 am

Last edited:

King

rapid rooters

rapid rooters

I like the Rapid rooter starter plugs. Drop the bean right in, water a few times, and 3-5 days later you've got a good sprout. A few days after that roots are coming out the bottom, like Tex mentions, and you're ready to go.

G

I started using the coconut starter plugs. I just put the bean in and two days later there is a seedling. Of course it is under a dome and getting watered daily, with fluor light. I am having to go slow myself, so as not to over-feed my little seedlings. It seems it takes forever for them to get some real leaves.

Patience is a virtue, I guess. Gonna go mist my seedlings this morning. BTW, I just place the starter plug in a 4" net pot with grow rocks, and wait for it to get old enough and big enough to go into my aeroponic, homemade grower.

Good luck we all need it getting seeds to maturity. :)

VegasBuddha

heavenrse

I've got outdoor heat on my side, but I've always started my seeds in the small pot I plan to grow them in. Best results is on hot concrete patio, but under shade of larger plants so they don't get direct sun.

Lay the seeds out, cover with 1/2 inch of soil/perlite/peat mix. Keep fairly wet for a week or until they sprout. Let them dry up a bit more and they take off.

So far so good! It's when I tried it indoors that it didn't work out so well.

L

L.V.Dubb

My method.......Soak seeds in a bowl of water with Superthrive added for about 12 hours. Remove carfully, and place between wet paper towels. Within 24 hours, all taproots should be showing.