What's new

How many times have you Re-Vegged a plant???

In Ed's guide it states that plants can be re-vegged two, three or possibly more times. Personally I have done it one time with two plants and noticed no loss in potency or vigor. I had to tear down grow and couldn't run the third time thru. Has anyone done it more than twice and what are your thoughts on this? In the guide it states that "a regenerated plant produces the same amount of vegatative growth in 45 days that takes a plant started from seed 75 days." Also how does this method compare to pulling a clone and starting from there? I have no expierence with clones and am wondering what you guys think compared to re-vegging. My guess is since the re-veg has a better root structure that it would be a faster grower but am un-sure. Come on big dogs what do you think?????

Fast Eddie

I have never had 1 ounce of luck reveging.
Ive tried many a time and still came up short.
But i will preveil someday im sure of that. :)

G

do you cut the main stalk all the way down to the first set of leaves? or just cut off buds or what?

thus far, i've just chopped the main stem and tossed the plant back into the veg room, have had 50% success doing this... but the only reason why i did this was to make a mother, so far it's been about 2 weeks , and i see some pretty nice growth on the stem.

clone = ~2 weeks to root and maybe another week to veg, then into flower.

re-veg = 2 weeks to START growing foilage back at a decent pace, then another month or longer to get it ready for flowering.

clone is definately faster.

imo the only reason to reveg a plant would be to make a bonzai mother, or mother up a plant that you may have forgot to take a cutting of before it started putting on buds.

THC

In ed's guide....

In ed's guide....

......it says" To re-gen a plant,some leaves and bud material are left on the stem as the plant is harvested. The stem may be left at nearly its full length,or cut back to only a few inches from the ground. The more stem with leaf material left on the plant, the faster it regenerates, as new growth developes at the sites of the remaining leaf material." I left two nodes on mine with all leaf AND bud material on the plant and cut the stem a little above there. It worked the one time I tried but I cautioned on the side of leaving more than less. I think the plant must have all parts on it including bud on the part you are re-vegging.

deZerTomB

hermie

hermie

i did it 1 time a couple years ago cause I didn't have a clone. She took a couple weeks to grow again, then I got some clones, then a few weeks later hermied out & I pulled it. I recloned those mommas many times with no problem before I finally found a better replacement. Got voted off the island hehe.

I would think that it would not grow tall real fast again after being topped & revegged because the roots are root bound in the pot & you just basically topped it. A bigger pot into reveg would help but it's still gonna be bushier & slower growing because of the topping.

So I would take take clones even at 2 or 3 weeks flower from the bottom shoots rather than reveg personally but I have more extra room in flower to play with than veg. Maybe if you had extra space in veg as opposed to flower.

But it's good to do it at least once to see for yourself.

Rambling again & I was gonna keep it short. hehe.

deZerTomB:)

Yeah Mon.....

Yeah Mon.....

.........sounds like this is only good if your clones didn't take the first time......... anyone else?

G

guest123

ive revegged plants many times , they just need some decent stock left on them and perhaps a repot , reflowering them will require adding new soil or putting in the ground outdoors , but its no probs to do ....

Niemand

wallyduck said:
ive revegged plants many times , they just need some decent stock left on them and perhaps a repot , reflowering them will require adding new soil or putting in the ground outdoors , but its no probs to do ....
Wally, what is your process.
You have cut it down to whatever...do you water it, limited nutes, full nutes
Total darkness for a period or right into light?
If light 18/6 or 24.
Full or cutting clone light.
I too have been MISERABLE at regen but I got a plant that I NEED, NEED, unnerstand, REALLY REALLY NEED to get back and make some clones!
ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I am 1 week from harvest!
Niemand

G

guest123

hi niemand , after that plant has flowered leave a few decent banches and simply pop it back to 18 hrs , no biggie , as long as you have some decent stock left on the plant itll reveg ,, it can take some time , but before long youll see new shoots erupting from the buds , it can work popping them outdoors from indoor aswell as long as the hours are right ... has worked over and over for me but can be slow to take ....

Niemand

wallyduck said:
hi niemand , after that plant has flowered leave a few decent banches and simply pop it back to 18 hrs , no biggie , as long as you have some decent stock left on the plant itll reveg ,, it can take some time , but before long youll see new shoots erupting from the buds , it can work popping them outdoors from indoor aswell as long as the hours are right ... has worked over and over for me but can be slow to take ....
Thanks wallyduck, but what about watering/nutes

hazyfontazy said:
plants will always re veg just like wally says:D
For YOU maybe, but I can show you some plants that never made it back for me and this thread has people with similar experience.
Can they reveg, absolutely
Do they ALWAYS reveg?
Not for me is all I can tell you!! I have no problem growing, I can clone like a mutha, grow in hydro and organix, coir to miracle grow soil, BUT for me, revegging has been elusive!:( Dont know what to tell ya! :confused: I suck maybe? ;) But then so do many others! Peace, Niemand
P.S. I hope that didnt come off as nasty, if it reads that way Im sorry, I DID NOT mean it that way!! Jah Bless

G

guest123

mmm may be i need to show you how , i have a few plants flowering now that id like to reveg , so ill show you the process in a few weeks when they are done , im sure some may be more inclined than others as it is with cuttings .. i have taken a heap of cuttings from flowering plants also and had no trouble getting them to strike roots and veg off , males are probably the easiest but females will do it ...

I revegged with much success on my first grow

I revegged with much success on my first grow

I promise to get some pics up as soon as I can for ya . . . I am going to try to remember everything I did, and write it down for ya - man, do I ever wish I had kept a journal . . . anyway, here it goes . . .

I grew four plants of unknown genetics (3 bag seed, 1 seed from a friend of a friend who grew - I didn't know the genetics, assumed they were better). If you search my posts then I think you can find a thread I started describing my grow if you are interested - it was my first grow. Anyhow, I didn't have any new seeds to plant, and I had neglected to take any clones - it was all I could do to think about my first grow, I hadn't thought much past that until it was time to harvest. I searched OG trying to find info(back in April before I knew about IC) and I decided that I would leave some bud on the plant, and try to regenerate them.

I read books from the library about plant propogation and pruning in order to try and supplement the info on OG. I cleaned my pruning shears with alcohol and then sterilized them by passing them through a flame, being careful not to touch them afterwards - not even to remove the soot from the flame. I, then, at harvest, cut the center stalk of each plant to approx. 1/3 of its original height, and left at least two buds on each branch that remained.

I then left all four plants in the same 12/12 light cycle under the same 400w hps light for a week - I figured they were already stressed from being cut back, so I wanted to give them some time before I changed their light cycle. I continued to water only when the soil felt dry to the touch in the first two inches from the top, but I gave no nutes. The choice about one week at 12/12 was my idea, never read that anywhere, though I did read someone else's post about easing their plants back into 24 hour light.

After one week of 12/12 (post-harvest) I switched to 14/10 with the same light, and at the first sign of new growth (I think it was about a week or two) I watered with a mild (1/2 strength) nute solution of Metanaturals grow (NPK, 3-3-3). I used the half strength nute solution about every two weeks, watering with plain water whenever the soil felt dry between the waterings with nutes.

Now all the plants revegged at different rates, and all the growth looked really crummy at first. The leaves were malformed and twisted . . . they didn't look like pot leaves on most of the plants at first . . . except for one plant that took off to revegging great leaves almost right away. Three plants had ample growth for cloning within a month, but I didn't have my new C13 clone/mother chamber set up, nor had I read enough about taking clones and what they needed to survive, so I waited.

Plus, we were still curing the buds we had grown, and I didn't know which plants were gonna have bud that smoked well enough to want to grow again. So, after smoking herb from all four plants we decided to throw out two, and keep revegging two.

Of the two we kept, only one had magnificent smoke - the one that came from a seed of a friend of a friend - from the way it grew I believed it to be mostly indica. The other plant we kept was the one that revegged with amazing vigor - it was the tallest of our plants, during our original veg we had to bend it and tie it over to the side of the pot because it was growing to fast. Without tieing it down it easily would have grown past 7ft tall! From what I had read I thought I might use it for breeding later on down the road, it was one hell of a healthy grower!

So, after reading up on cloning, I decided to take a few "tester clones" from my healthy grower. I prepared one 6 oz pot and 2 -2 ounce styrofoam cups with a mixture of 2parts worm castings, 1part vermiculite, and 1part perlite. I watered each cup until water flowed from the holes I had put in the bottom of each cup. I took a wooden shishkabob skewer (about 3mm in diameter - and the same thing I used to make drainage holes in the cups) and I measured off two inches. I used the skewer to make a hole two inches deep in the soil mix for my clones in each container.

I watered the plant in the morning, and had decided to take cuttings later that evening so that the plant would be full of water. The first cutting I took was almost 6 inches of super healthy growth. My method for cutting was the same as it was with harvesting: I made my cuts with sterilized (smaller) shears at a 45 degree angle, with the tip of the cut on the revegged plant pointing in the direction that the cutting was growing (growing to the right /). I stripped the lower three inches of growth off the cutting, and in doing so - I had trimmings that seemed big enough to be clones themselves. So, I ended up with three clones - one planned and two more for the hell of it off of the one cutting! I had only prepared three cups, so I didn't take any more cuttings. I scraped one side of the base of each clone with a razor, then I dipped the stem into purified tap water, then into a powdered rooting hormone that I bought at the Home DePot.

I then, inserted each clone into its respective hole(the biggest, planned cutting in the 6oz pot), and firmed up the soil around each stem. I misted each clone with plain water, sat each one on a plate and covered each one with a glass jar. I put them in the closet with the two revegging plants and added one 100w compact flourescent in a clamp-on worklight fixture directly above the clones - I clamped the light onto the planter of one of the revegging plants sitting a foot away. Five days later I removed the glass jar and checked for resistance/roots. Two of the three had rooted, the third pulled right out of the soil mix, and it appeared to be rotten (looked brown) at the bottom, so I threw it out.

I left the glass jars off of the clones, and propped the shorter clone up so the canopy height was the same for both clones. I kept the compact fluorescent light about 3 inches from their tops, and they continued to grow well. Once our C13 mother/clone chamber was set up with approx 600w of compact flourescents the plant with the good smoke had some spots big enough to take cuttings, so I took 3 clones, and all are doing well. I took clones almost exactly the same way, changing only the soil mix to include 2 parts organic humus (big ass bag from lowe's for 92 cents) 1 part worm castings, 1 part vermiculite, and 1 part perlite.

We kept the two clones of the crap smoke/vigorous grower, but threw out the revegged plant itself. We kept the reveg plant of the good smoke in the C13 with the clones, and it seems to be doing ok. We have had some problems with the revegged good smoke plant - red spots and dying leaves in some places, but most of the new growth looks fine. The 400w hps light in our closet is taking a break until we are ready to flower - gotta get a better exhaust fan for the closet. Anyway, I will try to get some pics real soon of the setup we have going now so you can see our clones and revegged plant.

I hope this helps ya! Sorry if I'm long winded, but I know I prefer detailed info to a vague idea. Let me know if you have any questions.

Peace
:abduct:
Freeda Green

Niemand

Wallyduck,
Thanks much! You guys are quick and helpfull!

Freeda Green,
WOW! That was in info packed post! I will printh out this thread and digest it fully! I will also, take some pics and let ya know the outcome! Good or bad it may shed some light on WHAT my problem is! Someone suggested taking some really late cuttings so I AM gonna try that too! Niemand
P.S. Im ALWAYS interested in peoples growing experiences, thats the best way to learn, and 1st growing experiences help newbys learn and oldtimers learn by spotting the mistakes (if any)

G

then it got too hard to control the pest/bugs that are drawn to the older dead/dying areas of the older plant

..nowdays I don't mess around with revegging.
and just take clones..even if I gotta wait and take harvest days clones that take alot longer to snap back into Veg stage

ezozo

freeda green, thanks I need to try it with one of mine that I don't have clones.

Farmer John, it very nice yield for revegging plant, I always thought the you don't realy gets much yiels, thanks.

wallyduck, it will be great if you show some revegging with pictures.

zozo

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Here's a pic of my beloved Bogglegum plant. It's going to be six months old soon, but age is just a number....correct...?? :abduct:

Last harvest she yieled over 300 grams of some amazing cola's, and now she's getting ready to do it all over again for me..... :D

showphoto.php

Latest posts

Latest posts