What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finally Veterans are allowed Cannabis

jump /injack

Veteran
Congress Votes To Permit Military Veterans Access To Medical Cannabis
Members of the US House of Representatives voted today for the first time to expand military veterans’ access to medicinal cannabis in states that allow it.

Members voted 233 to 189 in favor of the Veterans Equal Access Amendment, offered by Rep. Blumenauer (D-OR) to the Fiscal Year 2017 Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations bill, that prohibits the federal government from sanctioning V.A. physicians who wish to recommend cannabis therapy to their patients.

“We should not be limiting the treatment options available to our veterans,” Rep. Blumenauer opined on the House floor.

Under the provision, military veterans who reside in states with active medical marijuana programs would be able to obtain a recommendation from their V.A. physician rather than having to seek out a private doctor.

The vote is a marked change from last year, when House members defeated a similar amendment 213 to 210.

You can watch today’s debate and vote here. A roll call of the amendment vote is here.

Members of the US Senate Appropriations Committee previously voted in April in favor of a similar provision. This afternoon, legislation containing the amendment was approved on the Senate floor.

The House and Senate versions of FY 2017 Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations bill will now await a concurrence vote prior to being sent to the President.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Congress Votes To Permit Military Veterans Access To Medical Cannabis
Members of the US House of Representatives voted today for the first time to expand military veterans’ access to medicinal cannabis in states that allow it.

Members voted 233 to 189 in favor of the Veterans Equal Access Amendment, offered by Rep. Blumenauer (D-OR) to the Fiscal Year 2017 Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations bill, that prohibits the federal government from sanctioning V.A. physicians who wish to recommend cannabis therapy to their patients.

“We should not be limiting the treatment options available to our veterans,” Rep. Blumenauer opined on the House floor.

Under the provision, military veterans who reside in states with active medical marijuana programs would be able to obtain a recommendation from their V.A. physician rather than having to seek out a private doctor.

The vote is a marked change from last year, when House members defeated a similar amendment 213 to 210.

You can watch today’s debate and vote here. A roll call of the amendment vote is here.

Members of the US Senate Appropriations Committee previously voted in April in favor of a similar provision. This afternoon, legislation containing the amendment was approved on the Senate floor.

The House and Senate versions of FY 2017 Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations bill will now await a concurrence vote prior to being sent to the President.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME! If this is true, please tell me it is, this should be a sticky.

EDIT: OH. I just read the rest.. guessing it didn't pass.. sorry, jumped the gun

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya...This was a thing for a minute...And I believed those motherfukrs when they told me at the VA it was OK
So I told them a bit about my cannabis use..felt the freedom of talking to my doctor about cannabis...
6 weeks later I had a new doctor and pulled off of percs..was told I had to choose between canna and pain meds...told them to go fuck their mothers and cold turkey'd...Now I get piss and blood tests EVERY appt...Fuck the lying bastard s at the VA...Don't ever believe them

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Ya...This was a thing for a minute...And I believed those motherfukrs when they told me at the VA it was OK
So I told them a bit about my cannabis use..felt the freedom of talking to my doctor about cannabis...
6 weeks later I had a new doctor and pulled off of percs..was told I had to choose between canna and pain meds...told them to go fuck their mothers and cold turkey'd...Now I get piss and blood tests EVERY appt...Fuck the lying bastard s at the VA...Don't ever believe them
they write everything negative down and will hold it against you when convenient.. I'm going to tellem I stopped vapin. once they know, is that considered consent to test??

If you're taking percs and using cannabis, they WILL stop your prescription for more. And it's not just because you're taking the cannabis, either. The VA mandated to all it's providers last year to start weaning off the majority of prescriptions for percocets. There's been a lot of abuse with that med, so they to have show they are at least making an effort. As far as urine & blood screening is concerned, there could be many reasons why they're requiring it.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
they write everything negative down and will hold it against you when convenient.. I'm going to tellem I stopped vapin. once they know, is that considered consent to test??
They cNt make you test but they can threaten to take away meds or not admit you into certain programs

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're taking percs and using cannabis, they WILL stop your prescription for more. And it's not just because you're taking the cannabis, either. The VA mandated to all it's providers last year to start weaning off the majority of prescriptions for percocets. There's been a lot of abuse with that med, so they to have show they are at least making an effort. As far as urine & blood screening is concerned, there could be many reasons why they're requiring it.

All true. The one thing I would add is that I was told by my provider that here in cali, because it was a medical state, there would be no backlash..She was eager to learn and seemed sincere...I may have been incorrect when I said "six weeks later"-it may have just been two

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Did I miss the outcome or is it, for me, "cant see the forest thru the trees"? Did it ever get voted on, its been seven months since the origination of this thread??

As of 12/16, An amendment to the VA’s budget bill that would have allowed VA doctors to recommend medical marijuana to vets, was removed. As far as I know, VA doctor's are still prohibited from recommending cannabis. However, veterans can still seek medical marijuana on their own- where it's legal, as well as VA health care.

Dog Star

Veteran
Bravo for veterans,i support this law even am not from states...

what i dont support is that others are not alouded in same way veterans have,
this is in total opposition with human rights and made others citizens of
lower kind.

It needs to be alouded for everybody and states need to stop to create different
casts between people,veterans are no better than others,no matter they killed
for their land or "protected interests of state",this dont made them better and with
more rights than common civilian.

Creating this kind of society is fail in the start and i sees same trends in mine country
that actually blindly folows what her partner USA says on daily plan.. same stupid
politics that with some law goverment breach other people rights creating casts
that have bigger rights than common mortals.

geneva_sativa

Hey Dog Star,

This law was not granting special privilege to veterans, but granting them the same options available to others in medical friendly states.

Previously, if veterans used medically recommended cannabis, they could have been stripped of their VA benefits.

At least that is how I understand it.

And for people that are often shafted for their service, whether voluntary or compulsory, to be able to use a safe,natural and effective medicine, that they can probably grow themselves, is a blessing that none should be denied, as you stated.

Dog Star

Veteran
So they haved before less rights??

Dont have nothing against veterans but i was tought that this is law where they get
some exclusive right infront of all others... as it happends in mine country lot of times,
we have this examples a lot.

What i wished to say with previous post is that goverment need to serve all people
the same.... so the all have same rights.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Had less and still have less afaik. I wouldn't ever tell the VA I smoke.
I require no opiate prescriptions and have told them I use MMJ with no repercussions so far... I have heard that they will screw with you opioid scripts though no first hand knowledge, what is the fear?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I require no opiate prescriptions and have told them I use MMJ with no repercussions so far... I have heard that they will screw with you opioid scripts though no first hand knowledge, what is the fear?

It comes down to the scheduling of drugs (marijuana is still classified Schedule I), for both veterans and citizens. Ramifications if you do both....even in legal states.