What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adding Kief to oil

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I made some oil with coconut oil and decarbed bud. It's kinda weak. I ended up with about 1 cup of oil.

I have a lot of kief I can use to kick it up a notch. Can I just decarb it, then add it to heated oil? Will the kief dissolve?

I wood

So if I heat, then filter, the goal of boosting potency will be achieved?

Yes.
I have extracted oil from keif before and was shocked at the low yield of about 60% with the remaining weight being sandy grit in the filter.
Never tried filtering coconut oil before but imagine it is doable if kept warm enough.
Good luck.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Let us know how it works as I have been wondering about this too.:tiphat:
Will do.

1 #00 gel cap got me a great buz for 4-5 hours. Now I added 5 grams of strawberry cough kief to 2 cups (500ml) of the oil (lightweight oil according to a buddy). I ain't touching it. I'll let Mr. Big try it. :biggrin:

BearCreekFarms

I regularly add 30 grams of kief to 3 cups of coconut oil, then cook on low in a small crockpot 4-6 hours, then filter thru a piece of fine muslin or coffee filter.

This is used for edibles. A tea spoon of finished oil taken before bed will leave you well baked in the morning when you wake up.

Makes for interesting morning conversations.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yes.
I have extracted oil from keif before and was shocked at the low yield of about 60% with the remaining weight being sandy grit in the filter.
Never tried filtering coconut oil before but imagine it is doable if kept warm enough.
Good luck.

Wow... you were right. I couldn't believe how much material was left over from a near full melt sift!

I can see the need for winterization after an extraction.

clearheaded

didnt have to filter it out as prob just reduced ur yeild, and ur just capping it :) best to extract with proper solvent then know what your strength will be ruffly.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It works, and works better if you raise the oil temperature.

If you raise the oil temperature to 122C/250F, you can extract and decarboxylate in the same shot. You can tell by the bubbles when you are done.

Stir to speed up dissolution. Filter afterwards to remove the cellulose.

Yield varies, depending on cellulose content, but we typically get around 70% yield from bubble. I've never tried it with full melt.

It works, and works better if you raise the oil temperature.

If you raise the oil temperature to 122C/250F, you can extract and decarboxylate in the same shot. You can tell by the bubbles when you are done.

Stir to speed up dissolution. Filter afterwards to remove the cellulose.

Yield varies, depending on cellulose content, but we typically get around 70% yield from bubble. I've never tried it with full melt.

To remove cellulose which kind of filter you suggest??

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

I ran it through a coffee filter, but I wasn't smart about it. It took me a long time and I had to change the filter 3 times.

Don't keep stirring while you filter.
Give your oil one last stir and let it sit for 5 minutes off heat. The stuff you can filter out will settle on the bottom. Slowly pour the oil into the filter and let it drain. Don't stir up your oil. Keep filtering the oil. Replace the filter if needed. At the end you'll see all the sludge. There will be lots. I let the last sludge sit overnight and only got a few drops out of it so don't bother with that. Just squeeze it out a bit and throw it out.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

A commercial coffee filter sitting on top of a #1 Whatman lab filter, in a Buchner funnel.

The coffee filter protects the lab filter from blinding and you can gently brush the coffee filter surface with a small paint brush while filtering, and it will keep the pores open longer.

funkyhorse

Hola Tycho
During the 80's in the Middle East I learnt a very simple, quick and effective method

A gas cooker is needed. You heat a spoonful of olive oil with hash(use the same weight as you would do with a cob, if your dose is 0,5 grams then use 0,5 grams of hash for this) until it boils and the hash disolves and mixes with the oil. It takes just a couple of minutes.

Mix the spoon with hash olive oil in your favourite dairy pudding or in your coffee
It should start hitting after 45 minutes

Have a nice weekend

Latest posts

Latest posts