What's new

Woa! Check out S&P's pimptacular new TD-SILENT series of fans!

High flow, High pressure AND low noise!? Its as if S&P has designed this new series of fans specifically for us cannabis gardeners!

Hey all!
wave.gif

I have been a major proponent of Solar & Palau MIXVENT fans for many years now. The S&P MIXVENT series is a unique in-line fan design that combines the high flow characteristics of an axial fan with the strong pressure characteristics of a centrifugal 'can'-fan. When compared to can-fans the MIXVENT fans will move more CFMs at the same power level while sacrificing very little in the way of pressure drop. They are also much more compact than fat, bulky can-fans.

These fans are very durable and can be speed-controlled with the right dial unit. I have used the 4" TD-100x, the 6" TD-150, the 8" TD-200 and recently got to play with the gob-smacking 10" TD-250. My 6" unit has run for more than 8000 hours and still works like the day I bought it. They are also very competitively priced with an 8" unit costing $157 from my buddies at HVACquick.com.

S&PTDseries.jpg

sp_td_perf.jpg

These fans are great. They are much quieter than a can-fan of the same size. However they are still a high-volume fan and therefore still make some noise.

This is why I am so goddamn excited about S&P's brand new line of TD-SILENT fans. They are similar in design to the TD-MIXVENT series, but have been specifically constructed to be as quiet as possible while also, incredibly, actually increasing performance as compared to the old line. Just get an eye-full:

sp_td_silent_fan.jpg
SchallgedaemmterRohrventilator350cbmR125mm_b5.jpg

And I wasn't fucking around when I said increased performance. Compare these numbers to the same-size MIXVENT models from the chart above:

sp_tdsilent1.gif

Yea. Wow.
I mean look at the fucking power consumption. Somehow S&P has managed to make these TD fans higher-performance, more energy-efficient, and WAY quieter with the new SILENT line. Mind-blowing.

The price premium is even reasonable to boot. The TD-200S is only $50 more expensive then it's non-silent TD-200 sister model. The energy savings would pay you back that difference several times over during the life of the fan.

Now you may notice that there are a lot fewer sizes available in the SILENT line. This is only temporary. S&P is currently expanding their line of SILENT fans and there will soon be a quiet model to match every size catagory that the old MIXVENT fans came in. That's 4 inches all the way up to 12 inches and beyond.

The next ones to be introduced will be the 10 inch 1300 and 12 inch 2000 models. Get a load of these motherfuckers:

td%20silent2.jpg

As far as I know you cannot buy them yet. However they've been making the rounds at various trade-shows and they will be going on sale later this year.

It is a little harder to find information on them. I wasn't able to find any handy-dandy jpg images of their performance graphs floating around on-line like I could for the others. However ALL of the performance details for the full line of silent fans can be viewed in this-here PDF file:

http://www.solerandpalau.co.uk/docs/catalogo_general/cat_td_silent_1300_2000_en_fid5268.pdf

Just to give you an idea of what you'll find in there, have some stats from the biggest 12 inch TD-2000 model. It makes 55 decibels of noise at the outlet (read: noisiest bit) while moving 1770 cubic meters of air per hour. That's more than 1000 CFM! Fuck!

The S&P TD-SILENT series of vent fans are, no joke, THE QUIETEST fans that money can buy. No other vent fan which can match their performance even comes close in the noise department. On average, these fans produce 12 fewer decibels than comparable competitors. Incredible.

I personally cannot wait to get my hands on one of these puppies. However, right now, I don't have a grow space that I'd use one on. The grow I'm working on right now uses an 8" TD-200 MIXVENT fan and my partner is not interested in upgrading. I probably won't acquire one of these things till I get my own grow space again and that could take a while. However I have a TON of experience with the older TD-MIXVENT line and the new TD-SILENT line is based on the same motor system so it should be every bit as reliable if not more so.

S&P fans are still pretty obscure and I'm sure VERY FEW people here on the forums have heard of this new SILENT line. I thought the growers around here should definitely hear about these new fans.

fungzyme

Wow indeed - thanks for the heads up! Looks like they have their own built-in duct silencer unit (the rows of holes) at the exhaust side (?) Pretty cool, because I'm looking for an extremely quiet fan setup.

LAION

Veteran
I have TD 150 by S&P and I am really happy with mine. Low noise, two speeds, good quality.

Wow indeed - thanks for the heads up! Looks like they have their own built-in duct silencer unit (the rows of holes) at the exhaust side (?) Pretty cool...

That is pretty much how they pulled it off. Rows of little holes (on the inlet AND outlet) allow the noise energy to enter pockets inside the chassis that are filled with high-efficiency sound-dampening material.

That doesn't sound too fancy and indeed there are stand-alone duct-silencers which are similar in design. However those silencers decrease flow performance significantly.

The difference with these TD-SILENT fans is that the silencers have been carefully designed with top-flight aerodynamic analysis. This means that the rows of holes do not impede air flow like a typical silencer does. Sound-deadening in the main bracket and other mounting points also cuts noise in ways that a traditional silencer will not.

The point is that S&P took a hollistic approach to making a quiet fan. They did not just slap some sound-deadening material in there and call it a day. They completely re-designed every single surface of the fan that air flows past with computer models and a pain-staking process of trial and error. They changed the motor mounts and even the motor itself so that it hums less as power flows through it. This attention to detail is made plain by the numbers, it is how they got increased performance and efficiency while massively quieting the whole thing down. You could never hope to replicate the results that they have achieved with traditional silencing techniques. It is seriously cutting-edge shit. These guys are the best in the world right now.

because I'm looking for an extremely quiet fan setup.

One of these puppies could be right up your alley mate! I've always purchased my S&P fans from HVACquick.com. Its a good website, reliable, great customer service:

http://www.hvacquick.com/products/r...Booster-Fans/S-P-TD-SILENT-Series-Inline-Fans

S&P is actually based in Spain so their products can be a little tricky to buy State-side. You might get lucky with eBay, but HVACquick is the only place that seems to carry them reliably.

I have TD 150 by S&P and I am really happy with mine. Low noise, two speeds, good quality.

Hey man, that's the same one as I've been running for 8,000+ hours! Its a really great unit:

Look familiar? Lol.

Thanks for the interest fellas! I really love S&P products, but because they are obscure and not marketed to us growers they don't have much presence in the cannabis community. I think that should change!

These look cool. Are you being compensated by the company?

LoL! I wish!

I guess that my gushing recommendations do have a whiff of hired flunky about them. However that is not the case. S&P is based in Spain and they have pretty much zero marketing presence here in the USA. I am simply a die-hard fan of their products who is super-excited about this new development from them.

I am also a big proponent of the deserving under-dog. S&P fans are top-quality products and yet they have basically zero presence among cannabis growing communities. However their fans are more well-suited to our needs than most others in the market. That's just no good, more people aught to know dammit! These guys are a moderately-sized company who spare no expense when it comes to research and development. They work hard to develop improve their product lines even when they where already the best in their market segment! There aren't very many companies like that anymore. I personally think that any company which focuses on the quality of their product first and their profits second deserves to sell the shit out of whatever it is they are selling.
:jump:

jd4083

Veteran
LoL! I wish!

I guess that my gushing recommendations do have a whiff of hired flunky about them. However that is not the case. S&P is based in Spain and they have pretty much zero marketing presence here in the USA. I am simply a die-hard fan of their products who is super-excited about this new development from them.

Fair enough. :tiphat: Just curious...

I am also a big proponent of the deserving under-dog. S&P fans are top-quality products and yet they have basically zero presence among cannabis growing communities.

Just from a devil's advocate perspective...perhaps they want to keep it that way.

Thank you for posting about these. I've seen these for years on the micro-grows on here and OG and thought they were very cool. Sorry if you already covered this, but what would be the best place to browse for these fans and compare prices? Is pricing comparable to CAN/etc. for the same CFM or considerably more? Thanks again!

I like the design a lot. I want to mention/ask....what's your take on the pressure ratings though? IMO, these fans are far to weak for anything but practically free flowing ventilation....... .75 to 1.0 S.P. is what a carbon filter puts up, and looking at the performance chart... that takes away all the 4" and all but the "best" 6" fan, and even then it's only going to move 77 CFM? Lot's or people use 6" fans for scrubbing and these absolutely will not do the job. Even if you went with the "best" 8", your only going to get 200CFM out of it after a scrubber and some ducting...still horribly unacceptable to me.

I can understand your praise for the sound levels which is what these seem marketed towards, but looking at the pressure ratings it seems their efficiency and usefulness is limited.

Great fans for stealth though!

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
interesting!

do they make that airliner engine noise, like fans that look the exact same?

you can't easily compare a max can fan and these fans when it comes to noise levels. oddly S&P uses sound pressure levels (db) to measure their fans when it is an industry standard to measure fans with a sone rating.

that aside, these fans don't exactly compare to a max fan in terms of the ability to move air under pressure.

G

gloryoskie

interesting!

do they make that airliner engine noise, like fans that look the exact same?

Right! I use the 5" 125 previous model. Useless without a muffler. I could hear it up to 75 feet away.

After proper dampening I can hear it only if I listen for it, say 2 feet.

I should note that static pressure is limited with this fan, I use it in a dual box set up approx 20 cubic feet. Works for me.

Attachments

• exhaust_2.jpg
    exhaust_2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9

señorsloth

Veteran
it's interesting...would be cooler if the new models weren't cheep ass plastic...frankly i don't trust corporations for shit anymore, they aren't putting any money into new models of anything, it's all about cheeping up everything, while at the same time telling people it's actually better when it's not, and charging more for it! what used to be metal is now plastic, what used to be plastic is recycled egg shell...it's all about profits and in a down economy people don't buy things because they are "nicer" than the old model they buy things because they are cheeper than the old model. thats why i'm a bit suspicious, i suppose they increased the price by 50 bucks a unit and went from high quality steel casing to a cheep looking plastic model, that should help their profits but will it last as long or handle resistance/heat like the old one?

its definitely interesting, i can't wait to hear what people say about it, i am wondering what .95 db's is converted to sones, my fan right now is 190 cfm and 1.3 sones, works well and is silent but it's pretty huge so i'd like to eventually find something as quiet or quieter that can still push the same amount of air but is a lot smaller

LeeROI

The December 2011 TD catalog is pretty cool. http://www.solerpalau-usa.com/Brochures/Residential_Light_Comm/TD-TD-Silent Brochure_1111.pdf
"
Motors
Models 100XS:
Single-phase, 120V 60Hz, shaded pole induction asynchronous motor in die cast aluminum. All
motors include direct two speed connection and are also suitable for voltage speed control.
• Class l electrical insulation
• IP 44 Protection
• Class B Motor Insulation
• Safety auto reset Thermal Overload Protection (fuse type)
• Self-lubricating sleeve bearings.
• Suitable for working airstreams up to 104° F (40°C).
Models 150S and 200S:
Single-phase induction asynchronous motor, with permanent capacitor and external rotor in die
cast aluminum. All models include direct two speed connection and are also suitable for voltage
speed control.
• Suitable for working airstreams up to 140° F (60°C).
• Class I electrical insulation
• IP 44 Protection
• Thermal Overload Protection
• Class B Motor Insulation
• Sealed For Life, ball bearings
"

eyes

Veteran
i have their smaller 4 inch model. leaks around the seams and metal brackets. maybe there newest are the ones to get. i prefer fantech myself. german motor,compact design and no leaks. yeah, but good find,though.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
If your fan is leaking at the seams, you assembled it wrong.
It's tough learning how to assemble and disassemble thing properly.
Stick to lunchables.

fungzyme

Stick to lunchables.

You ARE crotchety.
You should stick to cussing out motorists in traffic, and yelling at kids to get off your lawn...

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i have their smaller 4 inch model. leaks around the seams and metal brackets. maybe there newest are the ones to get. i prefer fantech myself. german motor,compact design and no leaks. yeah, but good find,though.

Stick to lunchables.

You ARE crotchety.
You should stick to cussing out motorists in traffic, and yelling at kids to get off your lawn...

dont mean to laugh.....

but that IS SOME FUNNY SHIT RIGHT THERE!!!

made my morning!!!! LMFAO!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts