What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Never water with just RO?

TheReverend

I've gotten some mild root rot I believe, so I let the girls dry out for a few days. Now I'm going to water them, but no nutes, just RO.

However, as I was doing some reading online, I came across this article on the Black Dog LED website about never watering with 0 ppm H2O. I don't see how it can possibly be true, as I have watered with just RO many times and never had any issues.

"It is important to know that using Reverse Osmosis, Distilled, or other "0 ppm" water by itself is bad for plants, as it leaches away essential ions. We recommend never watering with "pure" water without first adding a small amount of nutrient or additive to act as a "buffer", or it could kill your plants." *

Source
*https://www.blackdogled.com/blogproperly-adjusting-ph-in-your-water-and-nutrient-mix/

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
I've watered with pretty much nothing but RO water for almost 10 years now because my tap water is so bad. I occasionally make a EWC tea with kelp and when necessary use Epsom salt for MG deficiencies.
I've seen that story about RO leeching minerals and essentials away from plants many many times. My question has always been: when growing in a container just exactly where are they leeching to. It's a captive environment and IF they leech from the plant they go to the "soil" and back into the plant. Also roots are pretty much a one way street going into the plant. I don't buy it and 10 years with very few problems don't support that theory.

TheReverend

I've watered with pretty much nothing but RO water for almost 10 years now because my tap water is so bad. I occasionally make a EWC tea with kelp and when necessary use Epsom salt for MG deficiencies.
I've seen that story about RO leeching minerals and essentials away from plants many many times. My question has always been: when growing in a container just exactly where are they leeching to. It's a captive environment and IF they leech from the plant they go to the "soil" and back into the plant. Also roots are pretty much a one way street going into the plant. I don't buy it and 10 years with very few problems don't support that theory.

Excellent response and exactly what my good friend with 10 years experience said as well. He has always flushed with just RO and never had any problems.

I would understand if this advice about 0 ppm was coming from a nute company, as they want you to add nutes every time... but it's a grow light company... and they are one of the absolute BEST in LEDs, so it comes as a surprise they'd be dispensing bad info.

Very interesting, but I think I'll side with you and my friend. Past practices prove that you can water with just RO and you'll be fine.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
BTW, I don't use R.O. for flush only as your friend does. I pretty much run "water only" soil grows and every single watering uses R.O. water.

THC123

Veteran
RO water is fine for plants. I grew 4000 gram trees in a greenhouse using only good soil and RO water, never any nutes. The plants where 4,5 X 4,5 meters wide and almost 5 metres high. So yeah RO water is fine for plants they love it!!

TheReverend

RO water is fine for plants. I grew 4000 gram trees in a greenhouse using only good soil and RO water, never any nutes. The plants where 4,5 X 4,5 meters wide and almost 5 metres high. So yeah RO water is fine for plants they love it!!

No nutes... RO + soil and that's it?

Just curious, why not add nutes and try to get even more? I mean, 4k gram trees are obviously monsters, but nearly everyone uses (and sings the praises) of a good nute schedule.

I'm not doubting or criticizing you in any way, just asking the question.

Easy7

Veteran
And what is rain? Other than pollution, it's distilled water.

I would not listen to black dog led all that much. All their flowers look cheap for such an expensive light.

Growing is so simple that the world made it complicated.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Really? No nutes at all throughout any entire cycle? Just RO water and soil?
That's pretty much it. I water with molasses water 3 times during the plants life and will if necessary make an EWC, Kelp tea as required.
I may also use Epsom salt with the RO as necessary if a slight MG deficiency shows, usually very early in the seedling to veg phase when my soil is spent soil from the last grow so as not to burn the young seedlings.
The reason to not add nutes is because they don't need it and anymore will burn the plant

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only reason to NOT use 0ppm water is if you’re soil cannot support it.

You must build a proper soil base in order to effectively use 0ppm water.

Most base soils are lacking in Ca & without Ca nutrient transport is impossible.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
And what is rain? Other than pollution, it's distilled water.

I would not listen to black dog led all that much. All their flowers look cheap for such an expensive light.

Growing is so simple that the world made it complicated.
:)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I've gotten some mild root rot I believe, so I let the girls dry out for a few days. Now I'm going to water them, but no nutes, just RO.

However, as I was doing some reading online, I came across this article on the Black Dog LED website about never watering with 0 ppm H2O. I don't see how it can possibly be true, as I have watered with just RO many times and never had any issues.

"It is important to know that using Reverse Osmosis, Distilled, or other "0 ppm" water by itself is bad for plants, as it leaches away essential ions. We recommend never watering with "pure" water without first adding a small amount of nutrient or additive to act as a "buffer", or it could kill your plants." *

Source
*https://www.blackdogled.com/blogproperly-adjusting-ph-in-your-water-and-nutrient-mix/
I've read the article???While it is true that distilled water is free from mineral (they remain behind in the evaporator) it is not so for RO water. The article should have indicated never to use "pure" "untreated" distilled water as it is void of all trace minerals. Therefore, nothing to feed the plant to support life.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I just add 60 to 120 ppm of cal-mag without N. to my organic soil. I stop the last 2 ro 3 weeks of flowering. NO Nutrients through the whole grow! The product is so much better tasting!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
...not really. Although correct in principal, at the correct osmotic pressure, you may in fact be sucking the minerals from the plant.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Excellent response and exactly what my good friend with 10 years experience said as well. He has always flushed with just RO and never had any problems.

I would understand if this advice about 0 ppm was coming from a nute company, as they want you to add nutes every time... but it's a grow light company... and they are one of the absolute BEST in LEDs, so it comes as a surprise they'd be dispensing bad info.

Very interesting, but I think I'll side with you and my friend. Past practices prove that you can water with just RO and you'll be fine.
my understanding of flushing is exactly that, you are flushing the plant, not the soil.

Easy7

Veteran
Just ro water is fine. Yet why not make tea with kelp and compost for maintence watering? Then add guano when 'feeding'. Compost and kelp are mild, yet rich.

Try enzymes for the root rot. They will clean that right up.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Adding RO water to soil won't harm the plants cause pure water is very keen on grabbing minerals. Before reaching the plant cells it will grab nutes from the soil. Adding RO water to hydro on the other hand would probably harm them. Drinking RO water isn't good for animals or humans in the long run, either, that's why most filters have a remineralisation phase at the end. Cause pure water has a "stale" taste that is not so enjoyable.

Just ro water is fine. Yet why not make tea with kelp and compost for maintence watering? Then add guano when 'feeding'. Compost and kelp are mild, yet rich.

Try enzymes for the root rot. They will clean that right up.

Extracting kelp or compost in RO water actually gives you a great advantage over mineralised water. RO water will extract minerals faster and more efficiently.

Easy7

Veteran
Lime sweetens water, this also means high ph when 'sweet'. Acid water is 'sour'. Same goes for describing soil. Some plants like it sour, some like it sweet. Hydro prefers more sour, soil likes a little sour yet tolerates more sweet than too sour.

Having volcanic and rock dust in the soil will not hurt with ro water. Having soil with no mineral life requires a lot more upkeep. It is possible to over do minerals, very very rare with cannabis. She thrives on minerals!

Latest posts

Latest posts