What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double potting anyone?

Hubbleman

Veteran
Anyone done double potting??

What u do is take a carton pot and grow in it for 2-3 weeks then u simply cut the bottom off and set it on top of a bigger pot. Roots should grow right down beneath the carton pot into the big pot.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
In desperation, when I had nothing else big enough, and no money, I did do this. It's a waste of a good pot.

I see it done outdoors, where the ground is the bigger pot. I find them occasionally on my walks. It's usually sloppy behaviour. And they will be left there. So I have to tidy up after them.

A wicker waste basket makes a reasonable swamp tube, that can be kicked in afterwards. That's much better than plastic waste.

Somatek

I remember BOG writing about this on OG way back in the day, never tried it though as I never had a problem with transplant shock and usually grew small plants in a SoG.

Another way to mitigate waste is to use 2 pots for the smaller stages with the inner pot's bottom cut off. When you transplant you slide the outer pot off and plop the inner pot into it's new home. That's what a friend did, cutting the bottom off old pots getting towards the end of their lives.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I remember BOG writing about this on OG way back in the day, never tried it though as I never had a problem with transplant shock and usually grew small plants in a SoG.

Another way to mitigate waste is to use 2 pots for the smaller stages with the inner pot's bottom cut off. When you transplant you slide the outer pot off and plop the inner pot into it's new home. That's what a friend did, cutting the bottom off old pots getting towards the end of their lives.

Me too! Man that was a loooooonnnnngggg ass time ago. :tiphat:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

lol that's what I was gonna say.....think Bog called it elevated potting method or something. He pretty much transplant a 1-3 gal pot on top of a 5gal or more pot. I've cut the bottom out of pots and sit them on another pot of soil. It's amazing guys what the web and icmag has done to help further our growing abilities and ideas. :tiphat:

Sign

I've done this without cutting the bottom off too. I drill 1/4-1" holes all around a small trash can then bury it slightly in the ground or new container, roots come right out of all the holes and anchor it. And keep going too.

Betterhaff

Veteran
It’s not much different than stacking rockwool, as far as concept. I’ve done it a few times but really don’t get much of a stall when transplanting or up potting.

Cvh

Supermod
Check out Peat/Coco Coir pots.

They are made out of dried and pressed peat moss or Coco Coir.
You can plant in them. And later when you want to transplant, you simply place these in your new pot. The roots will grow through them.

Made of peat moss or coco fiber permit abundant aeration, uniform drainage and easy root penetration. Transplant shock is greatly reduced because the entire pot can be planted with the seedling when roots begin to show through the walls. Pots indicate need for water by turning light brown when dry.
For more sustainability use Coconut Fiber Pots

gp050a.jpg

I know that many guerilla growers like these. They plant in these when they are still at home. And when they are big enough, they take the plants (including pots) out to the grow spots and simply dig a tiny hole and place them in. No need then to be busy pulling of the pot in the 'field' and taking empty pots back home.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've done this without cutting the bottom off too. I drill 1/4-1" holes all around a small trash can then bury it slightly in the ground or new container, roots come right out of all the holes and anchor it. And keep going too.

yea I done this with alot of outdoor plants I had in containers. im growing in 6ft ceiling of I'd do one indoors. This method of potting is good if growing standard seeds. You can go from 1gal to 3-5gal after you determine sex.

Magnificat

I have done this before in both hydro, where you bury a smaller cup of clay stones into the larger 6" container of clay stones with the smaller sitting only slightly down into the stones below.

i have also done with soil and I still see little different. Right now I am using 5 gallon air pots and i have a nice root mass like you would expect from a small bush or tree you buy at lowes.

The point I want to make is, using these 5 gallon airpots, these were my numbers running in soil under 1200 watts total. These are in grams. 78.85g = 2.81z

I guess it depends on what numbers you are running and what kind of increases you are expecting. i would still be interested to see you set aside at least 1 tester plant and see.

62.73 501a
62.85 501b
75 criticalA
78.61 criticalB
78.85 criticalC
67.07 juanA
73.13 juanB

You can plant in them. And later when you want to transplant, you simply place these in your new pot. The roots will grow through them.

View Image

I know that many guerilla growers like these. They plant in these when they are still at home. And when they are big enough, they take the plants (including pots) out to the grow spots and simply dig a tiny hole and place them in. No need then to be busy pulling of the pot in the 'field' and taking empty pots back home.

Ive done it for sure, its easy and clean

View Image

Ive done it for sure, its easy and clean

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I take one more step

I take one more step

That's a super method and I found the plants love it! I take it a step farther. After the plant gets settled in well, and well rooted, I like to remove the top pot and expose the root flairs. Just cut it off! The plant has exposure to oxygen and can transpire gases from the pot much easier. Please try it! Plants Love it!