What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oxygenation and Fabric Pots

ToOldToCare

I grow organic in 5 gal fabric smart pots. Having top dressed all my pots with Gnatnix to combat a gnat out break, now that it appears to be under control should I remove the Gnatnix? I'm always concerned about enough air getting to the roots. I try the best I can to ensure my plants are as healthy as they can be before switching to 12/12. Hoping always to iron out any problems while in veg. My concern is that the actual soil on top never dries out well under a thick layer of Gnatnix. Will enough oxygen be there because of fabric pots? Through the sides and bottom? I sort of want to keep the layer of Gnatnix to prevent future exposure to more gnats but also want the roots to be able to get enough oxygen. My pots are elevated by 2 inch squares of Styrofoam so that the bottoms can breath and they are off the floor. So my question is can I leave the Gnatnix or should I remove it?

ToOldToCare

I guess I'll vacuum out one of the pots and see if it makes a difference. The rest will still be protected from the egg layers until I see if removing the layer of Gnatnix improves growth. Guess I was being lazy hoping that someone might have already observed results.

Latest posts

Latest posts