What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bachelor generation 'threatens China's stability'

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
By Richard Spencer, in Beijing
(Filed: 22/07/2005)

China will have more than 23 million men unable to find wives by 2020 because so many more boys are being born than girls, according to a study.

The widespread practice of aborting female foetuses is being blamed for creating a generation of bachelors who will pose increasing social problems, it says.

These men are known as "bare branches" because they will never bear fruit. History suggests that they will give rise to higher crime rates and political instability. Their number might encourage China to become more authoritarian or seek an outlet for their energies through war.

Study authors Dudley Poston and Karen Glover, of the University of Texas, said: "The country's slow progress toward democracy could be stalled if not halted."

In nature, the ratio of births is about 105 boys to every 100 girls - a difference assumed to be evolution's answer to higher male mortality rates. But in China the ratio at the time of the last study in 2001 was 118 to 100. Last year, two other American academics published a book, called Bare Branches, arguing that the gender imbalance in several Asian societies, including China and India, which make up 40 per cent of the world's population, threatened domestic stability and international security.

The new research refers to a bloody 17-year uprising in Shandong province in the 19th century. It was ascribed to the fact that there were 100,000 more men than women, caused by a previous generation practising female infanticide in a famine.

"If 100,000 excess males were a thorn in the side in the 19th century, imagine the level of rebellion that could be instigated by 23.5 million Chinese bachelors," it says.

The researchers blame the imbalance on the availability of sex-selective abortions, where boys are favoured and couples are only allowed one child.

The Chinese government has banned doctors from telling expectant parents the sex of their babies from ultra-sound scanners, though the law is widely ignored.

The shortage of wives is already causing major upheavals. In rural areas there is a widespread trade in kidnapped women and young girls. Between 15,000 and 20,000 a year are abducted, many sold as wives.

In North Korea, gangs promise to help young women escape Kim Jong-il's dictatorship only to sell them into marriage in remote areas after they have crossed the border into China.

Meanwhile, dating agencies and brothels are flourishing.

One young man in Beijing said yesterday: "People have different destinies. Maybe some people are doomed to be single, like insects which live just one
day."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/22/wchina22.xml

.......the thought of 23 million rampaging batchelors is quite frightening eh?

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
I've known about this for 20 years or more.
There is only one Army large enough to fulfill Armageddon Scenario found in Revelations. If famine, pestilence, or Nature don't thin them out..... War will.

Seems the Aztec and Maya cultures did the very same thing. Only so much food and resources, have to get rid of some of them men. Create a War, just for that reason.

Sin

G

The more guys are born, the more there will be, u know, popping up queer.
Nature will find a way for the lonely china men :wave:
:bat:

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
There is a Genetic Theory

There is a Genetic Theory

BadTicket said:
The more guys are born, the more there will be, u know, popping up queer.
Nature will find a way for the lonely china men :wave:
:bat:

Some what along that line, the Y Chromosome is simply a Damaged X. Seems that the X is trying to finish off the Y for some reason. Men in 100,000 years will be sterile. The X does it's work in various ways, Homosexuality being just one. Male aggressiveness another. All in an efort to kill off the Male!

Sin :yoinks:

I Used To Grow

Damn, that sucks for all those guys.

I disagree with aborting female fetuses. That's just stupid imho. Women are great and should be allowed to be born.

I would prefer a girl over a boy any day if I had the choice just because I've always wanted a daughter but I wouldn't make my wife have an abortion if the baby is male.

Latest posts

Latest posts