What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush did a gardening

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks man. Yeah, me too. I posted a picture of it on page 2 of this thread, for inspiration. That's the way I want my canopies to look always.

dugzy

When you become a father it does change your perspective on the world and the things in it.

If you can manage to make such a nice even canopy in a tent i'm sure you will manage all the practical tasks of child rearing just fine!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I'm back. It's been a while. Not sure who's still around or what not. Anyway, I'm a dad now. Had to put my life on hold for a little bit while welcoming and nurturing a new one into the world. But things have finally settled down enough to garden again.

I just started 4 seeds of Golden Tiger, and 4 seeds of Panama. These seeds were purchased around 3 years ago, so kind of old, but I had them in the fridge. Only 1 of the Panamas popped, and all 4 GTs.

I'll be most likely doing the strains in separate tents. The GTs under 600w HPS, and the Panama under 165w LED. I'll be using coco, in fabric pots, flood and drain. Ideally, if I can get back into gardening full time again, I'm going to switch over exclusively to Ace's feminized offerings, and grow out single seeds at a time. I don't want to mess with keeping mothers anymore. No more cuttings. No more perpetual anything. I would like to go back to basics, while continuing to use flood and drain because that's my favorite method of all time, and just do one seedling at a time, using SCROG method, and filling up the entire canopy. After everything I've done over the years, I've learned that nothing is as productive as SCROG (at least, for the small grows I do).

So that's the plan. I will only ever use Ace genetics, exclusively, from here on out, too. Dubi, you are the awesome, and if I were the type of person who is inclined to put people on pedestals, you would be pedestal numero uno. Here's a quick shot of the Golden Tiger seedlings to get this thread started right. :biggrin:

View Image

Hi hush,

Congrats on the baby! :kissgrin: Glad to see you back with such good news. I only have one, but it's the best thing ever happened in my life. A baby brings so much joy and tenderness to our lives, and definitely changes life's perspectives, usually for the better. Best wishes for this new stage of life! :)

A pleasure also to see you are back to growing our beloved plant! Are you growing Panama and Golden Tiger from regular or feminized seeds ? The pic of your last SCROG grow looks impressive, wishing you can repeat a nice cycle with such good results.

Thanks a lot for your loyalty and kind words, honestly don't think i deserve such personal praises, reallly appreciate your interest in continue exploring our genetics, just hope we at ACE can keep offering enough interesting (new and old) genetics as we have doing in the past. Present and future of our breeding looks brighter than ever, not sure for how long i will have energies and health to keep working with such intensity, but hope still for a long time.

And please, let me know what kind of genetics would you like to explore in the future ( your preferences regarding effects, terpenes, flowering times, yield, etc ...) and i will do my best to recommend you the most suitable ACE genetics for your taste ad growing conditions.

Hugs! :tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Your humility speaks to precisely why I like you. ;) Seriously, you are awesome, and Ace Seeds is too. I just appreciate good, ethical people.

I am currently growing regular seeds. I'm going to use up what I have (6 seeds left each of Panama and GT) and then switch over to feminized only (except for a few handfuls of exceptions, like Lebanese comes to mind-- I really want to experiment with that one!). Ideally I would like to start one seed at a time, and with your feminized offerings that would be feasible. I don't want to do any pheno selecting. I know that all of the phenos contained in your strains are good. So all I care about is having a homogenous garden, regardless of which pheno I am growing at any given moment.

Thank you for the compliments on that SCROG pic. I do like to think that I'm pretty good at training and manipulating plants. I like to think of it as an art form, and I treat it as such. But having an even canopy is one of the best ways to make sure that you maximize yield, which is important in small, indoor gardens.

What I'm most interested in, regarding effects, terpenes, etc, is having a variety, honestly. I also don't particularly want to bother with strains (probably more pure, landrace lines) that don't yield very much. I'm not looking for all high yielders, of course, but strains that are known to be low-yielders are not the best match for me. Other than that, I have no desires for specific flowering times or anything, other than it's not very efficient for me to work with 18+ week flowering seasons. I just want variety in my diet. In terms of my growing style, columnar plants aren't ideal, but they aren't deal breakers either. They just take longer to train through the screen, that's all.

So all of that is to say that I am not that picky. I just would like to deal with varieties that are reasonable yielders, don't flower for half of the year, and have reasonable potency (so that I don't have to smoke an entire joint to get medicated). Other than that, I'm open. I guess it's worth mentioning, too, that I'd rather not have varieties that are really similar to each other. So, if I'm already growing Panama, but there's a cross with Panama that is heavily Panama-leaning, it might not make sense to have both of those. But it would be nice to have a couple of good daytime sativas, a night time insomnia strain or two, and maybe a 50/50 indica/sativa that I could use for recreational, just feel-good purposes.

After reading this post back, before clicking the button, I'm well aware that it sounds like I'm saying "I'm really not all that picky" while going on to list very picky requirements. LOL. Sorry about that. I swear, I'm really not that picky. It's just that all of your strains sound good, so it's hard to choose, and I want someone else to choose for me! :biggrin:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
What ever happen with the blueberry project?

Everything I had going is all gone. I first lost everything when I moved cross country. Then I lost it again when my wife got pregnant. So all I have left are these Ace seeds, some blueberry pollen, some northern skunk pollen, some homemade Kush x NL F2 seeds, and some mystery seeds that happened one time that I forgot to label so I don't remember what the hell they are. Just for the fuck of it I geminated a handful, and they all popped. So I'm curious. I might setup a small garden to grow those out in. But yeah, that's all for my entire collection. Oh wait, no, I forgot there were a few seeds in a container of Purple Dream bud I bought from a dispensary one time, and I popped one, just to see if it's a selfie/hybrid or if it's a hermie piece of shit.

I'll be placing another order from Ace soon.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Not much going on. Roots just now starting to appear at the edges of the starter cubes. Here's the GTs.

n9c6XPi.jpg

And here's the Panama. Still pretty small. Growing slowly. I don't think it likes my flood schedule. It'll be fine, it's just off to a slow start. There's no rush.

nvilYF6.jpg

I'm going to put them all in 4 inch rockwool cubes in a few days. Then the GTs will go into the other tent, so I'll be able to tailor the flood schedule for the Panama. Since I don't know what sex these plants are, I guess I'm going to have to take clones and flower them while these veg. Maybe there will be preflowers first, who knows, but once I find out what's what the males will be forcibly removed from the premises. Then I will have to decide what to do if I have more than one female of the GTs. Maybe if the Panama turns out to be male and I have two different GT phenos, I'll just use both tents for the GT. I don't know. I'm easy. I'll just go with the flow.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Just noticed today that one of the GTs is starting to grow outward at an angle, as if there's too much light. The other 3 GTs are growing straight up, and so is the Panama. Does anyone know if that might offer a suggestion as to what pheno it might be?

I don't know why I find it curious. I just do. :thinking:

gdgLyIs.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Just a quick overhead shot to observe leaf structures. Ignore the small seedlings along the back. Those are some homemade seeds I just found that I remember nothing about, and I'm trying to grow them out to identify what the hell they are.

9Er0X7Q.jpg

Also, you can see that the lower leaves on these plants are a little pH-affected. It turns out that there's some weird buffering agent in my municipal water or something, because stabilizing the pH was difficult. It kept creeping upward over the course of a day or two, and I had to keep adding more pH down. Finally it's stable. But now I know that I have to start pre-treating my water. I'm going to setup a reservoir for this, and then I will fill my e&f reservoirs from that.

Iamnumber

Hi,
Looking to be a very nice journal, subbed.

Very nice pictures, I hope to see many more especially when you start training your ladies -- hopefully with comments why you do things that way and what you aim to archive so us newbies can learn from the best.

Your comments about ease of ebb and flow made me reconsider my stance on that matter (now hempy style buckets is front runner).

I will be growing multiple strains at same time so I fear I would have to build several independed ebb&flow systems (so that I could give each strain nutritions they need). This would add complexity to the situation. If there is a solution to this.. I would love to hear about it.

I am partially limited in height of grow area and ebb&flow will take height. I dont know what would be 'practical minimum extra' that ebb&flow would add.

How noisy is (if noise reduction is taken into account in design - what would be the key points) ebb&flow? will the noise travel travel easily through the structure of the house? I imagine it would as water flows down to reservoir it makes noise (?) and as reservoir sits on floor the noise will easily transmit to structure of the house and travel (??).

Thank you for any advice and pointers you might share and good fortunes for the grow

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Very nice pictures, I hope to see many more especially when you start training your ladies -- hopefully with comments why you do things that way and what you aim to archive so us newbies can learn from the best.

I'll do my best. I am known for for having informative journals with lots of discussion, and I'll answer any question I am asked, so if you don't see me mention something you want to talk about, just blurt it out. I like discussions. I'll talk about cultivation all day long if someone doesn't stop me! But because of that, I've learned to temper myself and just wait a lot of times for people to ask me something, or initiate a subject of discussion or something.

Your comments about ease of ebb and flow made me reconsider my stance on that matter (now hempy style buckets is front runner).

E&F is an awesome, productive, and relatively lazy way of growing. But honestly, hempys are pretty awesome too. I still use hempys from time to time, especially on one-off experimental grows. I'm about to set one up to flower out a bagseed I found, actually. Yeah, hempys are awesome, so don't feel like you have to find something else if you are set on those. Here's a journal I did back when I upgraded to 1000w HPS for the first time, and it was all hempy.

I will be growing multiple strains at same time so I fear I would have to build several independed ebb&flow systems (so that I could give each strain nutritions they need). This would add complexity to the situation. If there is a solution to this.. I would love to hear about it.

Honestly, it wouldn't have to be like that necessarily. I've done mixed grows before. It's not usually the nutrient requirements that are so different to cause problems... it's the flowering times and growth characteristics that complicate things. But that said, again, don't worry about it if you are willing to mix up multiple batches of nute solution and use hempys. That sounds like a lot of work to me, but I'm lazy, and I fully admit it. :biggrin:

Also, I use Maxibloom for all of my plants. All of them. My nutrient solution is always the same. Regardless of strain. Yes, sometimes, especially with landrace genetics, they want less of the stuff, and I'll dilute the reservoir. But on average, the KISS method of using Maxibloom works on the vast majority of all strains. I just don't think in practice it would be that big of a deal, unless growing old school landrace sativa in the same tent as OG Girl Scout Chem Diesel Cookies or the like. But I do usually do monocrop gardens, so I'm not an expert on the matter or anything.

I am partially limited in height of grow area and ebb&flow will take height. I dont know what would be 'practical minimum extra' that ebb&flow would add.

It doesn't have to necessarily take up any more vertical space than a hempy would. Yes, you can definitely go very low profile using a hempy, which you can't exactly do with E&F, but my ~30 gallon DIY reservoir and flood table under the 600w HPS is only about a foot or so tall. When I move the GTs into that tent, you'll see. ;) But yeah, hempys can be done in buckets that are only like 8 inches tall, so that is worth considering.

How noisy is (if noise reduction is taken into account in design - what would be the key points) ebb&flow? will the noise travel travel easily through the structure of the house? I imagine it would as water flows down to reservoir it makes noise (?) and as reservoir sits on floor the noise will easily transmit to structure of the house and travel (??).

I don't actually think the entire house would reverberate from the sounds of the water trickling back down into the reservoir, lol, but it would be a lie to say E&F is silent. Yes, you can hear the water. In my house I have a few aquariums, just because I've been into that hobby my entire life, and so I suppose that probably helps to push the sound of splashing water into the background in everyone's mind. I don't know. My grow room is down in the basement, where no one really goes, so it's not a concern to me, but if someone were to be standing in the basement during a flood cycle, right outside the closed door to the grow room, they would hear water trickling. It's true. But fortunately, (and this wasn't even planned for, it's pure coincidence, but it works out), the basement is the cat's space, and so I just put her recirculating water fountain next to the grow room door. You can easily cover up the sound of trickling water with MORE trickling water, lol. So having aquariums or even tabletop water fountains in the house could be helpful.

Thank you for the comment. Welcome aboard!

Iamnumber

That sounds like a lot of work to me, but I'm lazy, and I fully admit it. :biggrin:

Ah, lazy in a way to solve complex situations in a way to minimize effort and work? :biggrin:

Yes, lazy people are a (partial) force in finding better ways to do things and free up time to be used to optimize next issue.. Lazy for win!! :woohoo:

My plan of attack (regarding the daydream of grow room) is to have both autoflowering strains (where I dont have to be so careful about light schedule) and light insulated space for photo periodic strains where my plan is:
** to veg until all are ready for flower - I accept that some might get bigger than others - plan is to increase area with these larger individual and keep top of canopy relatively level)

** switch to flowering regime dark time,

** harvest 1st to be ready and allow other strains to mature still (if need be) .. I accept that I 'waste' a little bit of area .. but the few sqf during few weeks for each flowering is acceptable for me as ability to test multiple strains faster and later produce exactly the strains that work for me (in a way that I min-max tailor the effect for me)

** rinse and repeat once last lady goes down on me :biggrin: (pun intended)

Keeping It Simple rocks!! I do not know yet what strains I will have much less what the ladies will require. I will just try to act pre-emptive regarding potential issues and so far hempy ticks most boxes.

How would you describe the 'effect on yield' between hempy and ebb&flow? While this is not main priority for me.. it is in 'high on mid range priorities' Which would translate to 'Top of nice things to have'

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]my ~30 gallon DIY reservoir and flood table under the 600w HPS is only about a foot or so tall. When I move the GTs into that tent, you'll see.
wink.gif
[/FONT]
Ooh.. so the ~1ft includes the medium also? that is impressive!! ..

I live in a apartment block so I do have to be considerate for my neighbors and their ability to sleep . During night people do register small noises and constant or periodic noise can drive people up the walls .. so noise is up on my list of priorities and I do plan to take steps to minimize it ..

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
How would you describe the 'effect on yield' between hempy and ebb&flow? While this is not main priority for me.. it is in 'high on mid range priorities' Which would translate to 'Top of nice things to have'

I would say hempys have the potential to yield lots more than ebb and flow.

Ooh.. so the ~1ft includes the medium also? that is impressive!! ..

Well, it's like 16 inches I think.

:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
So far, here's what I know...

The GTs all pretty much look the same, in a sense. The ridges and serrations on the leaves are all identical. There is one tall one, two identical short ones, and the one growing upward at an angle. The Panama is shorter than the shorter GTs, but not by much. The leaves have wider fingers, but similar serrations, and it appears to be growing with shorter internodes.

Here are the two short GTs (left) along with the Panama (right):

s9FAV9H.jpg

And here's the tall one (right) and the leaner (left):

l2azyzI.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Not Ace related or anything, but I've been wondering more about these mystery plants. I just don't remember what they are. I'm going back through my journals to see if I made reference to it. I know the general time period they came from, so I'll keep looking. I've been meditating on it, and I do remember collecting a bunch of seeds out of something, and deciding not to care about those because I had others, or better ones, or something along those lines.

That would narrow it down to possibly a northern skunk... I think I recall another plant other than NS1 had selfed, and I already grew out NS1's seeds. So these might be whatever one that was.

Or, it might be Kush x NL F3 seeds that I didn't want to deal with because I was still going through the F2s. I vaguely remember something like that, but I might be imagining it. But I have to say, these look very familiar to me, very much like K x NL, so who knows. :dunno:

EAW019Z.jpg

YukonKronic

Not Ace related or anything, but I've been wondering more about these mystery plants. I just don't remember what they are. I'm going back through my journals to see if I made reference to it. I know the general time period they came from, so I'll keep looking. I've been meditating on it, and I do remember collecting a bunch of seeds out of something, and deciding not to care about those because I had others, or better ones, or something along those lines.

That would narrow it down to possibly a northern skunk... I think I recall another plant other than NS1 had selfed, and I already grew out NS1's seeds. So these might be whatever one that was.

Or, it might be Kush x NL F3 seeds that I didn't want to deal with because I was still going through the F2s. I vaguely remember something like that, but I might be imagining it. But I have to say, these look very familiar to me, very much like K x NL, so who knows. :dunno:

View Image

Oh thank god it's not just me. I recently started giving a shit about the Guatemalan x Zamaldelica cross I've been working and trying to figure which seeds are which among so many poorly labelled bags is frustrating to say the least. I was good at labelling most important ones but the afterthoughts are where the devil lies.. I have like a thousand seeds that are basically now just random awesome sativa stuff that's probably got Zam in it. Looking forward to watching your grow.. judging from that scrog pic you posted Hush has did a LOT of gardenings:tiphat:

dugzy

A lot of the good stuff going on here hush, i am keeping a close eye on your GThaigers they are going to be crazy in hydro i am sure of it, seems to suit the sativas so well. I suppose these hybrid sats can take quite decent nutrient amounts.

I have always used soil for growing but enjoy seeing hydro set ups, it is really interesting to me

Latest posts

Latest posts