What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica in the bushes by the Danube

ThaiBliss

Veteran
..Starting to flower in the first days of September will be perfect - both for pollinating Zam#1 and Zam#3 without mixing with the wild hemp pollen, and for giving this timely start of flowering to its children.
View Image
Congrats Yoss33! I love it when it comes together like that.

Dog Star

Veteran
Thats when i was cut mine with tiny bud on self... its very hard to grow equatorial
sativas at this latitudes... am still wish you luck..

Amnesia Core cut also have problems to grow in mine neck of woods..
they are tiny in compare how they go under lamp.. i guess she is also
tropic strain...

haved problems with Ducksfoot 2 here but Walley in Australia grows them like
a champion and they budding there really proper.. here they growed so tiny buds
that i didnt wish even to harvest them...

vegetation ciclus they grow nice but when flower time comes they go slow and tiny..

simply there is a strains that cant be growed sucesfully in our climate..
am not far away from Danube... ;)

yoss33

Veteran
Hello! The usual quick update..
Zam#1 just started to flower and the Nirvana freebie Thai male is bringing out its first "balls" that will soon open, so in the following days I'll cut it and bring it into the house, let it drop its pollen there and then pollinate a branch of each Zam.
Both Zams have stem borers eating inside most of the tops of their branches, which slows the tops and the flowering hormones they produce significantly. The branches that don't have stem borers in them are a little ahead in flowering.
Didn't have time to take photos of Zam#1... next time..

Zam#3
picture.php

... and its lovely lanky purple stems
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yoss,

Your updates bring great memories of your surprising successes in previous seasons with such tropical sativa genetics, it's really amazing you manage to get powerful pure sativa flowers in your northern location.

Zamaldelica #1 is clearly a Malawi dominant pheno, while #3 is the Zamal/Thai pheno you are probably looking for. Hope the autumn weather will benevolent with your garden. Best wishes for the upcoming weeks of flowering.

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks, Dubi! I'll send your wishes to Zam#3, it'll need some spiritual support and luck with the weather - it's flowering pretty slowly.

I think the latitude, while of course being important, does not determine the climate conditions at which a plant grows so completely as to say "You can, or you can't grow this plant at this latitude", this can be said only in the more extreme cases of latitude/strain. It can be a desert or a jungle at the same latitude...
Where I grow is 43.5 degrees north, at 250 meters above sea level. I live only 50 kilometers away, to the north, in a town on the Danube river, 15 meters above sea level, and where I live it's usually hotter with at least 3 degrees in the summer and the same trees bring out their leaves about 2 weeks earlier, i.e. this more-northern place has a season about a month longer (2 weeks in the beginning and 2 weeks at the end) than the more southern place, just 50 kilometers away. And we have relatives that live some 300 kilometers to the south-west, in a more mountainous region, about 500 meters above sea level, not somewhere up in the mountains, that have far worse climate, with lots of rains and clouds. Although being at 42.5 degrees latitude they bring their tomatoes seedlings outdoors in June, and harvest only in August, while we bring our seedlings outdoors in the middle/end of April, and harvest tomatoes from July to October. Huge difference in growing season just 300 kilometers away and 300 meters difference in altitude.
What limits the cannabis season here is not the cold weather (it becomes too cold in the beginning of December), but when the first serious rains fall and the foggy damp weather starts - could be in the beginning of November, could be in the beginning of December.
As long as there's sunshine, cannabis grows and ripens, cold weather will only make it grow more slowly and give lower yields (smaller buds) but in the same time it's maybe a bit more potent due to the stress and decreased terpenes/cannabinoids degradation at the lower temperature. Not so sure if this is true, but we have no problems with potency and pungency in our outdoors :)

yoss33

Veteran
Unfortunately, I removed Zam#1 because it exploded in male flowers mixed among the otherwise perfect early female buds. It seems to have been confused of its sex right from the start and maybe now some stress made it decide to be male. The only stress that I can think of is the numerous stem borers that were inside the stems of the branches close to their tops, that made these branches to lag in flowering initiation. Zam#3 has the same problem with borers, but it wasn't such a big stress for it, as to make it switch sex.
I didn't need a Malawi leaning plant anyways...
The Thai x Skunk male is in the house, dropping its first pollen, and in the following days I'll pollinate a branch of Zam#3.
And Zam#3 is progressing slowly, bringing out the first frost on small leaves in some places, mostly close to stem borers and wounds. I guess defensive hormones are to blame.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Not much can be seen on the following photo, but it's beautiful nevertheless, heh
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The forecasts are that Monday will be the last summer day for the season, with temperature above 30*C. A serious drop in temperatures is forecasted, luckily without much rain.
It wouldn't be bad some rain to fall because the ground is very dry and I have to water every 2-3 days, finding the ground completely dry and Zam#3's leaves slightly droopy every time.

yoss33

Veteran
Even the lower branch-of-branch-of-.. buds and the "candle" larf buds at the base of the branches of branches are beginning to gain very nice dense frost:
picture.php

picture.php

(Un)fortunately the top of the plant can be seen only from far:
picture.php

A branch top with marks of the last draught and watering with cold water, the plant is also marked by all kinds of pests, but is vigorous and happy nevertheless:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
First real smell from the buds: overripe melon and mango and some flowers. Good.

More bottom branches close-ups:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
This is a mature seed from the last seeded (pre)flowers pollinated by wild hemp somewhere in the beginning of September.

dugzy

yoss33 these make some beautiful sights, looks so nice. You are heading for a happy harvest i am sure, that will be gorgeous herb i bet!

Latest posts

Latest posts