What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's low wattage veg/flower cab - Organic soil, 44W LED.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all,
i've been shuffling around my lights between cabs and have a new addition… the custom 104w LED ran too hot in this 2'x15" cab because the ventilation isn't that efficient (air comes in at the top and leaves at the bottom which works against the fact that heat rises). so ice replaced it with one of the new 'eco+' units from HGL - a 126X-ECO+ which uses 0.5 watt leds. one great advantage of this is that it has no fans - so silent operation, and the hope is that it will run cooler, and that although it uses much less watts - it virtually fills the roof of the cabinet so the clusters are well spaced out and also a bit closer to the plant.

a bit of background here, im rethinking the way i grow and in particular plant numbers - because there are new sentencing guidelines in the UK where the shallowest sh1t you get into is for 9 plants or less - so rather than flower 4 plants in my 'quarters' cab it will be two, planted in 2'x1' troughs with 2x1 screens.

and that's where this cab is going to come in - it is 2' x 15" and so will fit one of the troughs inside. what i would like to eventually do is use this cab for the transition from veg to flower in a perpetual system. i take a cut and in a month i will root and pre veg it in my mum cabinet under t5's. then it will go into this low wattage cab and be veg'ed for another two weeks and flowered for 2 weeks before going into the big cab under the stronger light for the rest of flower - lets say 8 weeks give or take. this means the whole perpetual cycle will have a max of 4 plants in existence at any one time - leaving me 5 more plants to play with up to my limit of 9. (i have one other flower cab - with the 104w custom light which takes 1 plant, so i can have 3 mums and one plant to play with over that). eventually i hope to start a thread which will encompass the whole 2 cab system - which is why i have put this thread in Grow diaries with my big cab rather than in micro grows.

but for now we aren't in the cycle and the other thing i was curious about was how well this unit would work for a whole flower cycle… i have a theory that bubba kush and other broadleaf types may well manage quite well in lower light conditions… plus i want to try and make some bubba kush S1's having successfully reversed a plant with CS and got pollen a month or two ago. if i can make enough seeds i hope to list some on seedbay too.

Right, enough blurb - heres some pics.
here is the cab with LED hung and a couple of Bubba x Cherry bomb at the back, more about those later
picture.php

here is the light hanging at an odd angle to get a snap of the heatsinks which stick out of the top of the light. the main bit of the light is just half an inch or so thick. it also has a light intensity dial.. which i turned up to max and then forgot about!
picture.php

here are the group of 4 bubba kush x cherry bomb girls - this was part of another bubba breeding project where i was going to do a bx to the bubba but ended up with 4 out of 4 girls so that will have to wait. i have half a dozen more seeds and at least the girls will give me an idea of what traits CB brings and how bubba like the cross is. i'll likely do some lst or something on them soon
picture.php

picture.php

more pics in a sec.

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and here is the bubba - which has actually been in the cab for a few weeks. as you can see it's on one of my old screens which allows the other plants to fit the cab too.
at 3 days
picture.php

at 10 days
picture.php

picture.php

and at yesterday at 18 days - i pollinated a couple of buds yesterday as a contingency and will pollinate a lot more next week.
picture.php

VG

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
interesting project as usual vg, this plants lookin so green so healthy and fast grow...im in bro!!!
keep the great job updates grower!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey killerweed, yeah the bubba was yellowing a bit from getting rootbound before it went in - and its pulled itself round and looks great now.
bubba is weird, the pistils die back very easily ive found. the upper buds especially tend to brown off early under the stronger led so i may find that this light suits it well.

and im looking forward to smoking the Bubba x CB - even though what i really wanted was a nice kushy male for the BX

VG

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Best of vibez on this new project VG...u always doin a nice job and those plants are lookin healthy. Sorry to hear bout the new laws over there. But with your scroggin u will be just fine! Peace

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks irie, its not like the law has changed so much as they set down some plant numbers for sentencing guidelines and up to 9 is the lowest category, and my grow is so small that i should really be able to stay under that most of the time. its gonna take some organisation though

---

i pollinated pretty much the whole of the bubba today, or attempted to - we'll see how it takes. the few buds i dusted a last week look promising. ive been busy with the bubba x CB's too. i'll try and post some pics on friday

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks nader!

heres the bubba today at 25 days.
picture.php

and here is a bud. you can see the ends of most of the pistils are withered which hopefully means successful pollination :dance013:
picture.php

and the bubba x CB have been ment over in a kind of linear scrog just to get a few more buds to the canopy and lower the height
heres 1 and 2 i think. think they are about 2 weeks in
picture.php

and 3 and 4
picture.php

VG

yosun

silent?

silent?

how is the light working out? love the silent idea,says "comming soon" on the website

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey yosun its going pretty well, i grabbed a quick pic of the bubba today that looks like it is fairly well seeded, and ill get some snaps of the 4 bubbaxCB on tuesday

yeah i managed to get this light before hgl moved factories in china so i guess there's been a delay in getting production of them back on. time will tell but so far it looks to be performing pretty well, scrog allows me to get all the buds in the bright light which helps im sure as this lamp will lack the penetration of the higher watt models... but im convinced the 'no fan' units will be popular
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks killerweed!:tiphat:

here are the 4 bubba x Cherry Bomb plants. quite a range of phenos now that they're in flower - some very long pistils too. they've been bent in half to reduce height and somewhat squashed in the cab but coming on ok
picture.php

picture.php

2. this was the stretchiest
picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and the bubba kush S1's - oh yes, gonna have quite a few seeds i hope - about 6 weeks in
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks heady!

i'll have some more pics up friday.. and i'll probably do a little test grow of some of my fem crosses in here after the bubba comes out in a few weeks. need to get organised and pop some seeds.

im really keen to try sharksbreath x bubba kush, and it'll be a bit easier to sort them out as they are fems.

VG

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
great job as usual buddy, the progress look promising..
cant wait till see the harvest time!!
HIGH QUALITY 3D'S

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks killerweed,

right here are the bubba x CB, bout 5 weeks in
no1 - this one is pretty runty bud-wise
picture.php

number 2 is the tallest, and better bud-wise
picture.php

3 is looking probably the best, frosty too
picture.php

and 4 not bad either.
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and the bubba is about 7 weeks. looking good.
picture.php

picture.php

and a nug - you can see quite a few nugs under the top layer
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
about 8 weeks, the seeded bubba has done well in here - i'll probably give it another couple of weeks
picture.php

picture.php

the bubba x cherry bomb crosses are a mixed bag, 6 weeks in , bending them in half doesnt help their look either

no1 l