What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ShroomDr's Nutrient Formula Elemental NPK parts-per-million List!

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Another thread sidetracked by Mistress...I learned from Krunch and put him/her on my ignore list.

There is almost certainly CA available to the plants in the standard tap water. It only makes sense that if they make a separate formula for hard water, then that means more CA is available and they are compensating for that.

This is super useful. I use House and Garden's complete line. It does make sense to figure out exactly what is going on. I basically figured it out through simply ramping it up until the plant could not take any more. Then pulling back. It works but is not ideal. Now I just use past experience to dictate my feeding levels. I'm sure there are some areas where I could improve my feeding, but it's hard to understand when the nutrient companies make it so complicated.

I will read up some more and hopefully be back to post up some useful information.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
this thread is interesting, can someone do this one, its jacks professional 15-5-15 Ca-4Mg-2 and the K-trate as well(14-5-38)

Attachments

• JP 001.jpg
    JP 001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 63
  • j 001.jpg
    j 001.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 66

Tropic

cal is not the pnly element in tap. there can be lead, copper, nitrates, uranium, etc, etc... depending on what is used to raise ph over 7.0 for human use, can affect final cal availability. the cal in tap is not added by muni's it is variable.

In hard tap water, Calcium is present in much higher concentrations than lead, copper or even uranium... if your water had any of these in a concentration as high as Ca then you'd wouldn't survive long drinking it, same for your plants.

The GH Flora Micro Hard/Soft version is a good example of high Calcium availability in hard water. Wouldn't make sense to market a product if users didn't found a benefit from using it.

*mistress*

Veteran
Abja Roots said:
There is almost certainly CA available to the plants in the standard tap water. It only makes sense that if they make a separate formula for hard water, then that means more CA is available and they are compensating for that.
?
what a company makes has nothing to do w/ actual water type & composition. it is up to gardener to make sure adequate cal is present.
w/out water report, will be pure speculation as to cal/mag carbonate content - or any other metals, compounds or biological matter.
Your response seems to have softened to
if ShroomDr permits tap water to e the source of cal - go ahead.
?
there really was no response to any question.
only sharing what seem to work in another galaxy...
ShroomDr is not 'permitting anything' GH is contouring the lineup to accommodate for the Ca in a 'hard water' supply. GH Flora Mirco Hardwater lists the EXACT same Guaranteed Minimum Analysis as GH Flora Micro except an 80% drop in listed Ca.
not every gardener use only gh ferts... while they work well, they are not 'standard', they are what most have come accustomed to. some make own ferts to spec & dont use gh. same chemistry applies. any instructions that come w/ water-soluble ferts dont usually state dont mix cal w/ certain other products. some state mix 'p-k' type 'booster' w/ 'cal-mag' type products, but that maybe not good... most wont provide further detail, nor give specs on keeping n:ca ~even... if that not helpful, then dont apply & ignore, like other.

The question is why a hard water formula would have less Ca. Explaining why they separate Ca from other elements is irrelevant to the question.
the simple answer is that most greenhouse grade, water soluble ferts container no calcium & very little magnesium. they are usually supplemented. mag in tank w/ potash & cal fed in seprate tank, altogether.

since there is gardeners that dont mix ferts, comps try make '1-parts' or as close as they can to that. some work, some dont. gh fnb work well. even maxi-bloom work well... but maxi-b doesnt dissolve fully, @ once & flora nova bloom (slurry-type) require lots of agitation, etc, to get cal dissolved.

for these variables, & others, found water-solubles work better - w/ calcium nit supply sepparately.
I will continue to address your responses, although they did not address my hypothesis. A few dont make sense, and i would prefer as little nonsense as possible in this thread.
as for why gh make hard-water type fert, maybe ask gh... gh not only fert comp & chemistry is chemistry.
if have not gotten water report, only guess @ what form of cal is/isnt present & how much.
IF this applied to the point being made, it would insinuate that most greenhouse gardeners are using RO water. I do not believe this to be the case. Not any greenhouse around here.
I guess if your contention is there is no Ca in the water, this would be true, (although still not addressing the hypothesis). I contend that most greenhouse gardeners add additional Ca separately (and this is only because of poor transpiration in the greenhouse).
dont really get the hypothetical. gh has 1 brand w/ 2 versions. choose the 1 that suits your water type.
if dont have water type & carbonate content #'s, then seems should get that 1st...then select the version of micro needed.
if dont even have water-type or what is in water, what is point of posting about micro vs. hw micro? get water specs 1st, then get correct bottle.
No its not. can 03- is nothing (i am aware of). A Zero instead of a O is a major error, one you continue to make.

Generally information presented about chemical compounds (the usability of Ca) is going to carry A LOT more weight from someone who cares about the difference between Oxygen and a Zero.
gardeners should got/get point. some characters omitted/altered for :artist:
ca++ is calcium
n03- is nitrate nitrogen... just for correct notation:D

fwiw, for every molecule of calcium uptaken the roots release 2 hydrogen (H+) ions...
This 'discussion' is getting tiresome, and it is not why i started the thread. You seem to have backed yourself into a corner, and are looking for way out. I thought ive given you multiple outs, but you continue to dig, and grasp. The only useful thing brought up, is how Ca 'may react w/ other chems'. This is not a concern for the average grower, and not effecting most of the Ca present in the water.

He doesnt seem too concerned about unusable Ca or other compounds; perhaps thats a better place to discuss what 'ShroomDr permits tap water to (do).'
really was not discussing anything, but only shaing importance of feeding cal seprately & lots of it.

make scratch fert from dry salts, so gh & hw, or reg micro not issue for imaginary lady gardener.
only try to make point of cal assimilation. if that is not of use - dont use data... hope thread continues on well.:wave:

cheers

*edit*
joe fresh said:
this thread is interesting, can someone do this one, its jacks professional 15-5-15 Ca-4Mg-2 and the K-trate as well(14-5-38)
jacks pro 15-5-15 (lx) @ 7.5g (1/2 tbsp)/gal

n-297 ppms
p-43
k-297
ca-79
mg-40
fe-1.48

k-trate @ 7.5g/gal

n-277
p-43
k-625
fe-1.38

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
(General Hydroponics Labels)
GH MaxiGro Powder (10-5-14) (NH4)1.5% (NO3)8.5% Mg2% Ca6.0% Fe.12% S3.0% Mn.05%
@5g/Gal
N 132
P 29
K 154
Mg 26
Ca 79
S 40
Fe 1.59
B NOT LISTED
Co NOT LISTED
Cu NOT LISTED
Mn 0.66
Mo NOT LISTED
Zn NOT LISTED
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Ammonium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Iron DTPA, Potassium Borate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ammonium Molybdate, Manganese EDTA, Zinc Sulfate.

GH MaxiBloom Powder (5-15-14) (NH4)0.5% (NO3)4.5% Mg3.5% Ca5.0% Fe.1% S4.0%
@5g/Gal
N 66
P 86
K 154
Mg 46
Ca 66
S 53
Fe 1.32
B NOT LISTED
Co NOT LISTED
Cu NOT LISTED
Mn NOT LISTED
Mo NOT LISTED
Zn NOT LISTED
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate Ammonium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Iron DTPA, Iron EDTA, Potassium Borate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ammonium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate.

GH KoolBloom Powder (2-45-28) (NH4)2% Mg1% S1.5%
@1g/Gal
N
P 52
K 61
Mg 3
S 4
Derived from:Potassium Phosphate, Ammonium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate.
Here are a few calculations i wanted to work out concerning GH powders, and i figured id post them too.

So MaxiGro @ 4g/Gal = 106N 23P 123K 21Mg 63Ca 1.3Fe
+ KoolBloom @ 1g/Gal = 5N 52P 61K 3Mg

This 4+1 = 111N 75K 184K 24Mg 63Ca 1.3Fe <=Probably needs Cal Mag without N.

Vs

MaxiBloom @ 7g/Gal = 92N P120 K216 64Mg 92Ca 1.8Fe

vs.

MaxiGro @ 2g/Gal = 53N 12P 62K 10Mg 32Ca 0.6Fe
+
MaxiBloom @ 2g/Gal = 26N 34P 62K 18Mg 26Ca .5Fe or @ 3g/Gal = 40N 52P 92K 28Mg 40Ca .8Fe

This 2+2 = 79N 46P 124K 28Mg 58Ca 1.1Fe
Or 2+3 = 93N 64P 154K 38Mg 72Ca 1.4Fe

both of these could use a gram or two (or 5) of KoolBloom, because this profile is awfully close to the h3ad/Rezipe
GH Flora Micro @6mL/Gal = 97N 0P 16K 97Ca 1.9Fe +
GH Flora Bloom @9mL/Gal = 0N 60P 91K 41Mg

6+9 = 97N 60P 107K 41Mg 97Ca 1.9Fe

============================================

I also wanted to add (and expand on) this from another thread.

(NH4) vs. (NO3) levels and the N:Ca ratio in common liquid fertilizers.

Botanicare CNS17 Hydro Grow (3-2-4) (NH4).14% (NO3)2.86% Ca2.8%
20.4X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:0.93
Botanicare CNS17 Coco Grow (3-1-2) (NH4).14% (NO3)2.86% Ca3.6%
20.4X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:1.2
Botanicare CNS17 Hydro Bloom (2-2-5) (NH4)0.09% (NO3)1.91% Ca2%
21.2X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:1
Botanicare CNS17 Coco Bloom (2-2-3) (NH4)0.09% (NO3)1.91% Ca2.5%
21.2X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:1.25

GH Floranova Bloom (4-8-7) (NH4)0.25% (NO3)3.75% Ca4.0%
15X NO3 N:Ca 1:1
GH Flora Micro (5-0-1) (NH4)0.3% (NO3)4.7% Ca5.0%
15.6X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:1
GH FloraDuo Grow (sample) (6-0-6) (NH4)1.9% (NO3)4.1% Ca2.6%
2.16X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:0.43
GH MaxiBloom Powder (5-15-14) (NH4)0.5% (NO3)4.5% Ca5.0%
9X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:1
GH MaxiGro Powder (10-5-14) (NH4)1.5% (NO3)8.5% Ca6.0%
5.67X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:0.6

Cutting Edge Solution Micro (6-0-0) (NH4)0.3% (NO3)5.7% Ca5%
19X more NO3 --- N:Ca = 1:0.83
Technaflora BC Boost (3-0-2) Ca3.21% No Ammonium (*N also in other bottle)
No Ammonium --- N:Ca = 1:0.8
Bloom Advanced Floriculture Coco Flower A (5.4-0-5.6) (NH4).36% (NO3)5.04% Ca4.14% (*N also in other bottle)
23.3X more NO3 --- N:Ca 1:0.49

AN Sensi Bloom A (4.3-0-3.1) (NH4)0.1% (NO3)4.2% Ca1.7% (*N also in other bottle)
47.5X more NO3 --- N:Ca 1:0.3
AN Sensi Bloom A (2-4-0) Ca2.1% No Ammonium (*N also in other bottle)
No Ammonium --- N:Ca = 1:0.53

W

Willi

Interesting thread!

A question first: How much calcium needed hemp at all?

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for all the great info in the thread. Probably one of the better threads I have read on IC in a while, thanks again.

Went ahead and did dyna gro grow and bloom.

Dyna-Gro Grow (7-9-5) (NH4)2.6% (NO3)4.4% Mg0.5% Ca2.0% Fe0.1% S0.05% Mn0.05%
@10ml/Gal
N 242
P 136
K 143
Mg 17
Ca 69
S 2
Fe 3.4552
B .691
Co 0.0518
Cu 1.7276
Mn 1.7276
Mo 0.0311
Zn 1.7276
Derived From: Ammonium nitrate, Calcium nitrate, Potassium nitrate, Nickel nitrate, Mono-ammonium phosphate, Mono-potassium phosphate, Cobaltous sulfate, Magnesium sulfate, Boric acid, Molybdic acid, Potassium chloride, Manganese, Iron, Copper, and Zinc.

Dyna Gro Bloom (3-12-6) (NH4) 0.7% (NO3) 2.3% Mg0.5% Ca2%
Fe0.1% S0.09% Mn0.05%
@10ml/Gal
N 103
P 181
K 172
Mg 17
Ca 69
S 3
Fe 3.4552
B .691
Co 0.0518
Cu 1.7276
Mn 1.7276
Mo 0.0311
Zn 1.7276
Derived From: Ammonium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Boric Acid, Molybdic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Zinc Disodium Ethylenediamine Tetra Acetate (EDTA)

calstar

Again, thank you Shroom Dr for the number crunching(you too metalhead419). This should be required reading for anyone buying and using ferts and "boosters".

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran

Dyna-Gro Grow (7-9-5)
(NH4)2.6% (NO3)4.4% Mg0.5% Ca2.0% Fe0.1% S0.05% Mn0.05%
@10ml/Gal
N 242
P 136
K 143
Mg 17
Ca 69
S 2
Fe 3.4552
B .691
Cl NOT LISTED
Co 0.0518
Cu 1.7276
Mn 1.7276
Mo 0.0311
Ni NOT LISTED
Zn 1.7276
Derived From: Calcium Nitrate, Mono-Potassium Phosphate, Mono-Ammonium Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Ammonium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Nickel Nitrate, Iron, Boric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Cobaltous Sulfate, Copper, Molybdic Acid, Manganese, and Zinc.

Dyna Gro Bloom (3-12-6) (NH4) 0.7% (NO3) 2.3% Mg0.5% Ca2% Fe0.1% S0.09% Mn0.05%
@10ml/Gal
N 103
P 181
K 172
Mg 17
Ca 69
S 3
Fe 3.4552
B .691
Cl NOT LISTED
Co 0.0518
Cu 1.7276
Mn 1.7276
Mo 0.0311
Zn 1.7276
Derived From: Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Iron, Boric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper, Molybdic Acid, Manganese, Zinc Disodium Ethylenediamine Tetra Acetate

Thanks i added these two. For the sake of uniformity, could you list all the mircos on the bottles? For instance, you listed the Mn%, but not the B, Co, Cu, Mo, Zn? Im sure they are on the bottle if you extrapolated the real levels.

Did they list a Ni on the dynagrow? It is the first instance of Ni ive seen.

W

Willi

Hey ShroomDr, thanks for the link!

Ok - I thought you want to clarify the required percentage Ca in irrigation water, my English is not the best, so I do not always understand everything right :shucks:

The question of how much calcium the plant needs and how much calcium in the irrigation water is necessary to my knowledge are two different points. The Ca in irrigation water has three tasks:

- To stabilize the pH of irrigation water
- To stabilize the pH in the medium, if any present
- To supply the plant with Ca

This is a very interesting topic, I write even more when I did the translation of my text :)

Sorry, I didn't actually have the bottle in front of me, just used the numbers off their website, and a picture of the front of the bloom bottle I found for the weight. Will try to do so in the future though, thanks again.

Heavy 16 Bud A (4-0-2) (NH4) 0.3% (NO3) 3.8% Ca4.2% Fe.1% B.016% Mn.034% Zn.009% Mo.0008%
@8ml/Gal
N 84
P 0
K 35
Mg 0
Ca 89
S 0
Fe 2.1136
B .3382
Cl 0
Co 0
Cu .0211
Mn .7186
Mo .0169
Zn .1902
Derived From: Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate, Iron DTPA, Iron EDDHA, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese EDTA, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc EDTA, Copper Sulfate, Copper EDTA, Sodium Borate, Sodium Molybdate, Ammonium Nitrate.

Heavy 16 Bud B (1.25-3.7-7.4) (NH4) 0.0% (NO3) 1.25% Mg 1.6% S 2.4%
@8ml/gal
N 26
P 34
K 130
Mg 34
Ca 0
S 51
Fe 0
B 0
Cl 0
Co 0
Cu 0
Mn 0
Mo 0
Zn 0
Derived From:potassium Nitrate, MonoPotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate

Some new nutes called Heavy 16 I'm thinking about trying. Shroom, should those zeros say not listed? What do you think about the numbers on this stuff, using it for hydro? You think it will be any good?

I remember reading in a cal thread that there was some question as to how much cal the plants actually need by its self and how much is needed to preserve a ratio of cal to mag... Can you shed any light on this question shroomdr?

W

Willi

I remember reading in a cal thread that there was some question as to how much cal the plants actually need by its self and how much is needed to preserve a ratio of cal to mag...

I believe there is no optimal ratio between calcium and magnesium. I only know hard water, with lots of calcium, contains low amounts of magnesium. Why? I do not know.

Too much calcium is impossible, you can not burn a plant with calcium. The limit for the levels of calcium is the pH in the medium, which can be reduced at high calcium concentration with an acid fertilizer.

The manufacturers for professional use fertilizers in agriculture offer advice based on water quality, the plant to cultivate on the specific medium. The fertilizer manufacturer for hemp do not have this knowledge, unfortunately. They are all dilettantes how sell fertilizers for all purpose to anyone no matter about the water quality. Sometimes they truely want to sell a fertilizer for all media. It's crazy how we get ripped off by idiots with no knowledge :chin:

If one understands my English? :shucks:

Y

YosemiteSam

your English is fine willi and your point is interesting.

no question water quality plays a huge part of the equation. and also no question it does not get discussed near enough.

Latest posts

Latest posts