What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AC Boxes Made Easy (to understand and build)

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
G33k Speak said:
That is not what I asked you. :spank:

You strike me as one of those people that understand things, but can't explain them when the question is rephrased.

Thanks anyway.
Yes, it was indeed what you asked. Exactly what you asked.

When things are rephrased by those who really doesn't understand the subject matter, then yes, it can get a bit tough to follow.
But I assure you that in this instance I understood every word you posted, even with your lack of comprehension.
Too bad you got mad, pick up your toy, and ran.
Are you ready for some help now, or are you just here because you are lonely?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
G33k Speak said:
For the sake of civil discussion, let's try a few Q's.

1. Please define 'lung room' for us. Just to make sure we're all on the same page.
A lung room is going to be a room just like what you pictured. Basically the room will be atmosphere controlled. Pulling air in from outside, and exhausting air outside. Your "lung room" is your home, and your problem was that you were using up precious central air to cool the condenser coils of the AC unit.

G33k Speak said:
2. Other then 'you gonna need a fan'- could you give specific info on calculating fan size for exhausting the AC box?
No, I stated early on that this thread was not for that. I am simply giving the tools you need to understand what is happening. You want to figure the CFM requirement, then do the research...or find a thread the covers that issue.

G33k Speak said:
3. Where is the ambient air for the cooling coil supposed to come from?? You seem to be implying the need for a seperate inlet for 'ambient' air...

ambient ="The surrounding environment coming into contact with the system or component in question."
The ambient air that you use to cool the AC unit should come from a source that does not need to be scrubbed, so not from the grow area. That air space is also bad because you use up precious cooled air. And your house is a bad idea too, unless you like to pay for the central air to keep up with things.
The best place to get this ambient air...is from outside!
You are venting the hot air out, yes? Why can you not get air from outside with an additional path?
Now, if things are not easily done for you, then we are into a different realm. If you cannot do another duct to get air from, then you may have to make sacrifices, like using the ambient air from inside your house.

hoosierdaddy said:
Yes, it was indeed what you asked. Exactly what you asked.

When things are rephrased by those who really doesn't understand the subject matter, then yes, it can get a bit tough to follow.
But I assure you that in this instance I understood every word you posted, even with your lack of comprehension.
Too bad you got mad, pick up your toy, and ran.
Are you ready for some help now, or are you just here because you are lonely?

I'm so lucky to be in the presence of greatness.

At least you aren't being petty and condescending.

and you did not answer the question that was posed:

'is it possible to calculate the fan's CFM from the electrical lable'

THAT was the question.
I was wondering if there was a formula analogous to Ohm's law.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
G33k Speak said:
I'm so lucky to be in the presence of greatness.

At least you aren't being petty and condescending.

and you did not answer the question that was posed:

'is it possible to calculate the fan's CFM from the electrical lable'

THAT was the question.
I was wondering if there was a formula analogous to Ohm's law.
Considering that a fan of any size can be placed on that motor shaft, then no, there is no way to figure the CFM of anything. But, I have already explained this in detail previously.

G33k Speak said:
Do you really think I need you to explain CFM to me???
I would have though a person who does not need CFM explained to them would understand that a motor tag will not give you squat in the way of CFM. Now, if you know the size of the fan blades and the RPM of the motor, then you can figure CFM, or at least find a chart that will help.

If you hadn't picked up your toys and ran off mad, you wouldn't have to defend what you asked or didn't ask.

hoosierdaddy:

"A lung room is going to be a room just like what you pictured"

"You really do not have a lung room."

sooo- which one is it?? You're contradicting yourself.

hoosierdaddy:
Constructive criticism seems unwanted, even when heavily warranted.

If any grower sees a fault with my tutorial in any shape, form, or fashion please do not hesitate to bring it up for discussion. I have thick skin and have learned that the ego is something best left in your back pocket.

Evidently not.

hoosierdaddy:
The best place to get this ambient air...is from outside!
You are venting the hot air out, yes? Why can you not get air from outside with an additional path?

That's NOT ambient- that's OUTSIDE air!!!

Why the fuck would I want to cut more damn holes to bring in 95F OUTSIDE air in to cool the AC????

I seem to have overestimated your technicals skills- this thread is nothing more then
'don't cover the side air vents'-
that's your whole thread condensed into 6 words.'

what the fuck is the point of building an 'ac box' without a fan???
That's called a 'duct' . :bashhead:

Are you going to pull 700 CFM through a 4inch duct??
Not likely. :asskick:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why don't you explain to us all just what is wrong with my information?
I am not opposed to some constructive criticism. But what you are doing is flubbering around this issue because you have no clue.

That's NOT ambient- that's OUTSIDE air!!!
Again it is obvious that you do not have a clue. I am done with you, pal. Sorry, but I just don't have the patience to keep posting back and forth ad infinitum simply because you can't grasp the concept.
Post up your original pictures and original questions and I can help you. Other than that, I'm done with you.

EDIT:
Where the phuck do you think a window AC unit gets it's air to cool the condenser to begin with? Outside pal. Outside ambient air. Funny how it seems to function properly when it is hung outside in 95 degF weather isn't it?
ShaZZZAm!

Last edited:
I'm not your pal, buddy, dude or bro.

Sorry you started a thread and couldn't answer any real questions- you're 'thread' isn't complete- you only gave half the answer- you said yourself that a user needs the correct airflow- but you leave them hanging on how to actually accomplish that.

Nice work pal.

I'm not going to have a pissing match with you - find your weird jollies somewhere else.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
G33k Speak said:
I'm not your pal, buddy, dude or bro.

Sorry you started a thread and couldn't answer any real questions- you're 'thread' isn't complete- you only gave half the answer- you said yourself that a user needs the correct airflow- but you leave them hanging on how to actually accomplish that.

Nice work pal.

I'm not going to have a pissing match with you - find your weird jollies somewhere else.
It is a shame that you have to come in here and make a mess of things, simply because you do not grasp what is going on.
But I am going to continue to help you all I can. In reality, I just wish you would again pick up you toys and run along...because you are getting to be real tiring, real fast.

You need to go back and read my original tutorial, since I actually cover the part about the ducting size. Now, you will need to at least be able to comprehend and do some things on your own, because this is not a thread to hold your hand and walk you through.
But seeing you are having more trouble than most, I will explain in detail...

There is a motor that turns a fan that cools the condenser coils. This fan is turning at X RPM (X being I have no idea what your AC unit is or what it is turning at).
This motor shaft will have a fan attached to it. This fan is what sucks air from outside of the unit, and pushes the air through the coils.
This fan will be X inches in diameter (X being I have no idea what size of fan is in your unit).
Often times these fans will be surrounded by a plastic enclosure, in essence creating a duct around the fan.
Now, knowing what RPM your motor turns, and what size fan you have, you can find charts that will tell you the approximate CFM that your unit is pushing through the hot coils. Normally this will also be close to what a fan, of the size of the AC fan diameter, will push.
And what a 10" duct fan will push is varied as well, since all fans are also dependent on the speed of the motor, and the size of the fan to dictate the CFM. They can also vary by the design and mounting.

But let's assume that you have gotten the information you need to know your unit's CFM and let's assume it's 650 CFM.
As stated in my tutorial, if you leave the exit ducting the same size or larger than what the back of the unit is now, then you will need no additional fans to allow the unit to function as designed.
If you drop down to a smaller duct size than 10", you will need to compensate for the loss of CFM (since the original CFM cannot be met now that the path is choked down), by adding some additional airflow with another fan.

Now is when you will need to do your own work. You need to find out what CFM fan you need to get the amount of air flowing out the end as was before.
And this thread never was about telling you how to figure that. And I believe I even mentioned that early on.
This thread was simply to give you an understanding of the concept, and what it takes to make the AC DIY of your choice work for you.

But I will go a bit further and tell you this, if you go down to an 8" duct from the 10", buy an 8" fan. It will more than likely easily be sufficient to handle the loss of flow. If you go down to 6" buy a 6" fan. Pretty simple.
The smaller you go though, the more you have restricted the original air flow, and the more powerful your fan will need to be.

bostrom155

Hoosier this is an exellent post..I'm using a bedroom and cant put in a window ac. So im thinking of using my window unit as per your instructions. Just a few Q's
Hope i can explain this right
I have a 10,000 btu window unit. plan on setting it on a dresser at window heighth. Room is about 10x10 bedroom. its going to have a flower room made of black/white poly roughly 5x8, rest of open room is veg/clone..anyway
AC is on dresser, going to make a box on the back like tutorial.then a 4" hole in the back of box with a stanley blower, blowing out a window. as far as ambient air in can i make another hole in the window for air in. so basically window will be uo with a board in it and 2 holes cut out 1 for forced air out 1 for passive ambient air in...maybe using dryer vent so rain doesnt accumalate in the duct

Last edited:

bostrom155

hoosierdaddy said:
Let me first ask why you cannot use the AC in the window? Winter conspicuous?

Yes. I rather not have the ac going when its 40F outsaide and if i remember right the window is an odd shape. it actually slides open sideways. but not 100% sure, plus is on the second floor..thanks

Last edited:

bostrom155

I gave it a shot..i'll try and uploaad pics later. my ac has been sitting foe two years. the temp coming out the ac was 48F but the room will only get to 80F so i'm trying to see if the ac is done

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't forgotten you, bos.
Check to see that the filter in front of the cold grill is good and clean.

bostrom155

Hey Hoosier, i checked the filter. yesterday during the install. one other thing os that its hot as hell behind the ac. i still have a couple leaks but not too bad. Im using a stanley blower to a 4 inch duct to the window.,

Can I use the rooms air as the ambient air in to the ac??

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can use the room ambient air for the ac intake, but you need to realize that your flower chamber has got to get air from somewhere, as does the room everything is in.
Using the house air is fine, but it will increase your heating and cooling costs.

A 4" duct is not near enough. It is not enough air flow to keep an ac half the size of yours supplied. I would use at a minimum 6" duct, and better to use 8". Use the highest cfm rating fan of those sizes.

On the window.
I highly suggest finding an old window ac that is broken. Just hang the case in your window, and cover it with an ac cover from Home DePot. You can use the bottom or the top for your exhaust run, depending on which is less conspicuous.
May need to get creative, but it offers a way to hang stuff out the window under some cover. I know there are tutorials around for other type window boxes.

IF...you have your AC at window level, and you rectangle duct the size of the unit straight out the window, you would not even need an additional fan, and the ac unit fan would be enough.
Or, try to picture you ac unit backed right up to the window and sealed to it.
The air flows out the back and into your empty, covered, ac box that allows the air to escape the bottom.

Last edited:

bostrom155

hoosierdaddy said:
IF...you have your AC at window level, and you rectangle duct the size of the unit straight out the window, you would not even need an additional fan, and the ac unit fan would be enough.
Or, try to picture you ac unit backed right up to the window and sealed to it.
The air flows out the back and into your empty, covered, ac box that allows the air to escape the bottom.

Thanks Hoosier. That is how i did it it's on a dresser at window hiegth. So far so good.
One quick question, i set it to 67F and it freezes up, at 75 its ok, my buddy said it is freezing because its low on freon. Is this right, or because it high 40's to 50's here in florida

M

moses224

awsome and can be built cheaper then the standalone. Thanks for taking time to put the DIY together my man

SKUNK420

MedResearcher,
42896ac3.jpg
my setup is just like this also and YES I DO have a big 2'x2' fresh air inlet that is hepa filtered to feed the "lung room". from this room my a/c and 10"vortex get their air. the flower room is 99% sealed. the internals of the a/c is not prefectly sealed they never are. my ducting run off the a/c is like 5 feet 12" insulated with one 90 degree bend up and out the attic.

what i really was wondering is condensation build up. what are some of your experiences with a/c boxes and water build up? i'm going to put a small drain in the bottom a/c chassis to drain the water into a trash can. yes i know some hot air will get push out the drain and into my lung room but it should not raise temps by much since it will be a small drain hose.

thanks for any positive replies