What's new

Making A Living Off Medical Marijuana?

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
I was thinking of moving back to nor cal and starting a small commerical grow under 100 plants. Is there much of a risk growing amounts under 99 ? I ask because I thought if I wasn't mistaken anything under 99 plants is not fed territory, and SB420 being invalid would seem with a doctors recomendation for "unlimited" plants for the purpose of serving myself and a nice fair dispensary for medical patients. Is it possible to make enough to living off of? I ask because now I am growing 4 plants for my first indoor grow and everything is going great, if not better than i expected. I want to wake up and tend to my plants, all day long without having a job interfere with my growing. Would 99 plants be enough for my own supply ( 1-2 Oz per week depending on my medical needs) and enough to sell the rest to the dispensary to cover my bills and have enough money to get by? Or is this just a crazy dream of mine?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Norcal, if you think that the Feds won't bust you for less than 99 plants, then come on ahead to Cali and start growing. Just be sure to put the first $50,000 in a legal fund, because you may well need it. Everyone seems to think that Cali is the Wild, Wild West where everything goes. If the Feds don't get you, you will probably have to watch out for County Sheriffs deputies who have been cross sworn as DEA agents. The Feds love to get local cops to disregard the laws in their state by giving their departments money for more drug agents and lots of cop toys. I wish you luck on your first grow, but many of the guys supplying pot to the med clubs have dozens of grows under their belts as well as great genetics. They will be your competition. Don't you think that if anyone could get rich selling pot to med clubs that all of us would be doing it?

BTW, I live in Cali and my son has a felony record for legally(Prop 215) growing pot. Welcome to our world!

Last edited:

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
Damn Pops, dosn't sound like it's the way it used to be.

I got friends over there running more than 99 plants and getting away with it...

I am sure genetics are great and the growers have experience but I have access to the same genetics as they do and im sure you could put my crops up against anything over there keyword is first INDOOR grow... :) I've done a few I started indoors and let nature do most of the work, my indoors plants are looking even better!

Im not saying I want to get rich off growing, just want to have enough to get by and not have to worry about a job interfering with my caring for my plants...I know a guy here in NY that has 38 plants flowering all the time, perpetually-the guy who got me into growing, he grows and sells his product himself to a good few close people and makes a good living and dosn't do any other work...

Would Canada be more forgiving , to the "evil ganja grower" ?

Last edited:

anikas88

^ my county sheriffs got cross sworn as dea/ins/?? recently there was an article in the newspaper lately. now they cruise around in fucking hummers, fucking hummers which are probably bulletproof and take hundreds of dollars of gas to drive around to bust closet grows and pick up dayworkers from home depot, give me a fucking break, o yeah its in cali, and they love to fuck with growers and smokers, that being said i still grow but I still act like what im doing is completly illegal. If moving back to cali, for a grow op best bet would be to start small, 12-24 plants then move bigger once the logistics of everything is worked out

Hazelnuts

If it gets legalized here in Switzerland, that's what I'd like to do for a living. Any Swiss people here VOTE ON NOV 30th.

treehuggers

Hazelnuts said:
If it gets legalized here in Switzerland, that's what I'd like to do for a living. Any Swiss people here VOTE ON NOV 30th.

Hi

Can you be more specific please. What are swiss people voting about? Legalisation? Decriminalisation? Medical use? Medical growing? ....

Peace

Last edited:

treehuggers

Dumb question over here... who supplys the med clubs or whoever carries legal ganja in Cali?? I know how this is (badly) handeld in Holland, but have no idea about US.

Peace

Z

zoolander

I don't know how many of ya have vended to the club's but when your in one with product you always have a felling like the doors goin to get kicked down any minute and that shit gets old fast . Cali is far from legal fo sho :badday:

KISE1

NorCalFor20 said:
1. I got friends over there running more than 99 plants and getting away with it...

2. Would Canada be more forgiving , to the "evil ganja grower" ?
1. People are "getting away with it" in every state, by being careful.

2. Canada would be more forgiving, but good luck getting citizenship over there.

If you have the money to come to CA and set up a grow op, at least $20,000, for 3-4 months rent(and deposit) while waiting for your first crop, all the lights(and the high electricity bill that comes with them), a/c, ventilation, carbon scrubber etc., then you're doing pretty good where you're at and should probably stay there.

Last edited:
G

what he said^^^cant go around expecting pipe dreams to turn into reality, ca growing is not for everyone and this state is no place for newcomers we already have enough energy crisis as is dont need more people setting up big grows and stealing the power.

sog army

who said anything about stealing power? I never saw anyone mention that? why even bring it up? THe guy was just asking if it was possible for a newbie to enter the med scene on a semi large grow..

The answer.. Prolly not on his first go around.. Start small and step up a lil at a time.. Cause if you havent succesfully pulled lbs at a time out of an indoor room.. I wouldnt go getting your hopes up because you can grow 4 or 5 plants really well.

SweetNightmare

Yea I'd say best bet is to save up your money come start an outdoor patch for while you are setting up your indoor bit by bit to save money n ish while you get everything tuned in

Koroz

no matter what business it is, people who quit their day jobs to start a new business with minimal capital will always fail regardless if its weed or not.

Electric bills in San Diego County when I lived there 3 years ago were 200-350 a month on average for "daily usage" with out grows setup, so imagine with grows how it is.

Rent in San diego county for a "decent" sized apartment is going to run you between 1-2k a month, unless you get a 1-2bdrm for 900 a month.

Gas, food, worrying about the locals as people said here busting you or the DEA getting your info. Not to mention, no matter how great you grow for your first round.. good luck walking into a club with a couple of ounces and them not knowing you worth shit and being able to just sell it.

There is a lot more too it then picking up and moving to cali to make money selling weed to clubs. My cousin thought the same thing, quit his killer job at Geico which he was making 60k a year, had a vehicle allowance and retirement, moved to SD tried to grow and realized no one was interested until they knew him.. couldn't make rent or pay for elect bill because he refused to get a job and now?

he moved back home, and now works temp jobs here and there because Geico won't rehire him. He is slapping himself in the face right now wishing he had taken my advice. I am not trying to be the slayer of dreams, but one more thing cali doesn't need more of is people living off the social programs because they made a bad decision, and decided to move there to grow some buds.

You really run the same risk selling illegally so might as well just do that where you live now so you don't have to pay the moving costs etc.

ShootinBudz

based on what he's said, the guy has no business here in cali and no experience. The obama of weed. no clue about what it really takes to keep up with a good sized grow. when you've done 10-20 indoor poiunds then maybe you've learned enough.

If you have the money go for it dont listen to anyone.But doing 99 plants is a full time job if you do it right.If you dont youll go broke for sure. getting rid of dank is very easy in cali but mediocre bud isnt. 75% of bud out there sucks dick pulled early, moldy,not dried right if you do it do it right youll be good like sog said start small get it dialed go bigger. good luck.