What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just an idea...

Would it be possible to modify a refrigerator to maintain a specific temp/humidity, say 65°F/65%? If so could you also rig it to exhaust spent air? I'm trying to design a drying box that could extend the drying time indefinitely w/o fear of developing mold problems.

MedFaced

Yes! Home brewers rig this kind of stuff all the time for their fermentation chambers. Take an old working chest freezer or fridge and wire it up to one of those inkbird controller. “Set it and forget it.”

Drop That Sound

On top of that cute little dehumidifier, and the inkbird temp controller.. maybe add a small carbon filter and fan inside. Then the air wouldn't really get stale right? Even without one that's like saying the air would go bad if you left a fridge full of food (veggies and unsealed items etc) for a few days, and then not wanting to eat it if you did.

I think your idea will work good, and be very efficient. Knowing me though I would still add a small ventilation port with filter on the door and a one way flap, and put it on a timer. That's 3 different variables to dial in, giving you ultimate control. Heck, if you added a small humidifier, and tied them all together with a controller, you would have the best curing chamber :)

Drop That Sound said:
I think your idea will work good, and be very efficient. Knowing me though I would still add a small ventilation port with filter on the door and a one way flap, and put it on a timer.

I figured opening the fridge door twice a day to check for signs of mold would exchange the air well enough, but I like your automation idea.