What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Love Tents? Why? Hate Tents? Vent Your Reasons!

dddaver

Veteran
I like my tent as I feel I can control the environment better. As an example it was running a couple degrees warm (by remote thermometer) so I just closed the intake vent a little more just by tightening the vent closure strings some. Thereby increasing the negative pressure. Cooling a couple degrees. Easy peazy.

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question. This tent came with a removable floor. It already has some stains from over-watering. So, when I want to clean it between grows can I put it in the washer on delicate and cold water or will I need to hand wash it? I'm mostly concerned about damaging that "diamond" reflective material.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
A small 2x2 or 3x3 tent, put on it's side, can be lit with SIL or other LEDs rather easily. This should be enough space for 50 little pots, no? Careful with supporting the light sideways... may need a bit of work.

I like my tent as I feel I can control the environment better. As an example it was running a couple degrees warm (by remote thermometer) so I just closed the intake vent a little more just by tightening the vent closure strings some. Thereby increasing the negative pressure. Cooling a couple degrees. Easy peazy.
Awesome :D

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question. This tent came with a removable floor. It already has some stains from over-watering. So, when I want to clean it between grows can I put it in the washer on delicate and cold water or will I need to hand wash it? I'm mostly concerned about damaging that "diamond" reflective material.
That's a good question. I don't believe the washer will keep the material shiny very well. I'd recommend a soft rag and warm soapy water.

That's another thing, I've noticed some tent mfgs have a floor lining with nice tie ups, and I like them for keeping it straight. The Mars Hydro 27"x27" tent has a stiff sided bottom liner, and it stays upright without ties. It's a really small tent though. :D

psyphish

Veteran
Hell, I may just build a small one out of a single sheet if I find a male I want to hang on to. Use a 65 watt HLG panel for lighting and a couple muffin fans for air circulation (filter intakes and outtakes of course).

Or just use a 1sqft micro tent with the HLG65, stick the ducting into one of the holes made for it, tighten the cord and you're rocking a grow space that has metal poles with mylar insides. Takes about 5 mins to put together and you won't have any construction material laying around.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Using a couple of the Mars Hydro 1 sqm x 6ft height , been working well for a couple of years now. All of my growrooms were built until I got these and the best thing about them is the convenience and portability... I barely get time to water and trim these days, so building would be a mission.
Got mine from D H Gate , half the price that amazon is selling for :tiphat:

X

xavier7995

Mines in a big gross pile not being used, but i use bleach and a mop normally. The mylar coating comes off rather easy so i go cautious.

I like tents, currently using an agromax. They are great if you are renting and will need to set up and tear down. All the ports and such are helpful for adopting them to whatever setup works in apartments. Mines getting a bit old in the tooth and having zipper/pinhole issues, going to build a perm room as i am no longer moving around and renting.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
It's funny because it's true. Still don't know if it's light tight. But I'm just using it to keep some clones going till I have space. I may get a 315 for it, or just pull out an old-school 250 or 400w HPS if I have to, and be very careful about hanging something so heavy in the 3x3.

What do you guys use as filters?
DustShrooms are expensive!

X

xavier7995

Oops, misunderstood the question, disregard.

Edit: well the relevant thing i was going to say is that the flexible walls can be extremely helpful if you happen to forget to measure and need a few extra inches to fit in some piece of equipment.

Last edited:

zeke99

Tents are fucking awesome.

I've no shame in admitting that I'm a clumsy builder.

I put up the last one, which was a 6.5' x 6.5' x 6.5' cube, in under an hour.

And it was tight as fuck.

If I tried to build that, I would fuck it up in numerous ways and waste a shit ton of time. Measure 16x, drive to Lowes another 37x, etc.

That big tent successfully held the weight of one of the biggest can fans on the market. Strong as an ox. Bought the tent for a couple of hundred and resold it on Craig's List for $100 after a year.

Time is limited in this life. I happily trade money for time and quality in areas in which my skills are lacking.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hey D.C.,
So I dig your box idea. So you built this then attached to the round 6" hole?

What about the lower screens?
Mine has screened windows at the bottom on three sides. Flap with Velcro to close vents.
Could I just tape hepa filters over these windows?

I'm going to make some changes after this harvest. I have been wanting to tear down the closet and build it bigger.

But now I might just tear it down and replace with a tent.

Right now my carbon filter is hanging above the light in my 600 hps room.

Considering taking it out and putting in the room that all of my growing chambers and tents are in.

I guess make a lung box with filter inside.

HalfArsedFarmer

Used tents for years.

PRO'S quick up & easy down & pre made holes.....

Cons. Zips, lights leaks, poor stitching on certain brands.
They don't retain heat as well as an insulated room made of wood.

For the cost of a quality tent I can buy the lumber for two rooms.

Douglas.Curtis

Hey D.C.,
So I dig your box idea. So you built this then attached to the round 6" hole?
If you do this, I would suggest using light baffles inside the box as well. I attach it to ducting, then run the ducting through one of the holes. When you run positive pressure the way I do, you'll run the ducting to the intake of your fan, then duct the exhaust through the hole in your tent.

What about the lower screens?
Mine has screened windows at the bottom on three sides. Flap with Velcro to close vents.
Could I just tape hepa filters over these windows?
Those lower screens are garbage for 'flowering' tents, as far as I'm concerned. Literally a horrible 'feature' for flowering cannabis. If I was running negative pressure (sucking air from the tent), I would tape them up. Running positive pressure the way I am, I make sure they're light tight and leave them alone.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have 4, but can't get a good yield in one. They are just handy. One is specifically for cuttings and plantlets. Another for drying. 2 for veg. I won't flower in them though, I tried and tried, but can't get past 500gpm.

I find the zips too loud, and I would like to fill some poles with expanding foam to see if they stop ringing during assembly/disassembly.

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting... where do you flower, and what do you believe is the difference?

The sound of the zippers will probably have to stay the same, but I can definitely see a few squirts of foam dulling the 'ring' in the poles. :)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Interesting... where do you flower, and what do you believe is the difference?

The sound of the zippers will probably have to stay the same, but I can definitely see a few squirts of foam dulling the 'ring' in the poles. :)
I like that D.C... foam the poles... why didnt I think of that?

Thanks.:tiphat:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
If you do this, I would suggest using light baffles inside the box as well. I attach it to ducting, then run the ducting through one of the holes. When you run positive pressure the way I do, you'll run the ducting to the intake of your fan, then duct the exhaust through the hole in your tent.

Those lower screens are garbage for 'flowering' tents, as far as I'm concerned. Literally a horrible 'feature' for flowering cannabis. If I was running negative pressure (sucking air from the tent), I would tape them up. Running positive pressure the way I am, I make sure they're light tight and leave them alone.

I've always done negative pressure because of my setup. But now that I'm rebuilding I can do whatever.

So I was thinking of HEPA filter to duct to inline fan blowing into my tent. A lil bit of positive pressure should help prevent mites from trying to enter. I hope

Latest posts

Latest posts