What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Love Tents? Why? Hate Tents? Vent Your Reasons!

h.h.

Veteran
So many different styles. None of them perfect.

I have several incubators.
If I ran them in the cold, they would not work.
Their job is to fine tune the process.

Tents are the same.
A growroom to be proper should be permitted and inspected. While anybody can hack one up, I wouldn’t suggest just anybody building one. No insult intended to those who can. Proper fire blocking is important. Egress is important. Things you don’t think of are important.
Time is my enemy. Eventually I will put in a proper room. For now my tents work.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Looking at Amazon right now for an inexpensive 3' tent. I need another space for keeping babies or mom's. Being light tight isn't as important since it's for veg. But I do need good zippers and ventilation.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got a 5x5 Gorilla Tent on the way, should be here next week sometime.

I'll let you know if I like it or hate it.
I received my tent in good condition. The tent, floor pan, and roof all came in a bag. The poles came separately.

The material is nice and heavy duty. Zippers are nice and chunky as well. I can see why people complain about light leaking through the front zipper, even with the flaps there. Doesn't bother my situation much though. A little light leak won't matter much in a couple days when I finish hanging the drywall in that room the tent is in.

One of the reason I went with the Gorilla tent was because it was supposedly 6'11". I have a max basement height of 7'2", so I thought it would be perfect.

Well, it wasn't. I guess whoever poured my basement floor was unaware of a tool called a long float, because the tent frame didn't fit under the floor joists except in a couple spots.

So out came the portaband and and an inch came off each leg.:biggrin:

Now it fits. Barely. And I still had to get the tent actually on the frame. Whoever decided 3 inches would be plenty of space to work with is an idiot.:moon:

But after much struggling and a little bit of cursing, it's in there. I like it. It feels like it should last a long time with a modicum of maintenance. And it allows me to utilize the space I have a little more efficiently. I can have the tent producing meds all the time while I sort through seeds in my big room.

I'm happy with my purchase so far.
picture.php

Last edited:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I received my tent in good condition. The tent, floor pan, and roof all came in a bag. The poles came separately.

The material is nice and heavy duty. Zippers are nice and chunky as well. I can see why people complain about light leaking through the front zipper, even with the flaps there. Doesn't bother my situation much though. A little light leak won't matter much in a couple days when I finish hanging the drywall in that room the tent is in.

One of the reason I went with the Gorilla tent was because it was supposedly 6'11". I have a max basement height of 7'2", so I thought it would be perfect.

Well, it wasn't. I guess whoever poured my basement floor was unaware of a tool called a long float, because the tent frame didn't fit under the floor joists except in a couple spots.

So out came the portaband and and an inch came off each leg.:biggrin:

Now it fits. Barely. And I still had to get the tent actually on the frame. Whoever decided 3 inches would be plenty of space to work with is an idiot.:moon:

But after much struggling and a little bit of cursing, it's in there. I like it. It feels like it should last a long time with a modicum of maintenance. And it allows me to utilize the space I have a little more efficiently. I can have the tent producing meds all the time while I sort through seeds in my big room.

I'm happy with my purchase so far.
View Image
I feel for you. OTOH did you measure the space you intended to place it in?

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I feel for you. OTOH did you measure the space you intended to place it in?

Of course I did. Just not in several places as I figured a poured concrete floor would be somewhat level.

Oh well. Adapt and overcome!

I just put 9 rooted clones into 3" paper pots. In 7-10 days, they will be transplanted into the bed for it's first official grow.

2 different phenos of Blue Moon Rocks and Mind Boggle x NYCD will be vegging for 14-21 days until flip. I will be documenting this grow as well as another one in an up coming thread when things get interesting.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry! 3" delta in 5 feet, is simply too hard to compute without a negative response!
I think it was a combo of the floor not being level and the tent being taller than they claim by an inch to an inch and a half.

CaptainDankness

Yeah, you also need an actual house to build the EXTRA ROOM into. If you decide to stop growing, well you're going to take apart the whole room, good luck selling the used drywall to someone, I didn't have any problems getting rid of my homebox evolution tents in the past. And I'm guessing an 8x8 room isn't used to grow for personal use. I have no problems spending 300 bucks on a drug operation, since I know I'll make that back and quite a bit more after the project.

What are you talking about? Panda film for walls or even that mylar film it's essentially a tent.

You don't need a house you frame the tent with the same dimensions as a tent. It's also pretty easy to pull nails.

CaptainDankness

And again your showing your one and only point of view which continues to show your ignorance. Tents are tents NOT grow rooms. Tents are for smaller situations. Even though they offer them in that size do you not realize the overwhelming majority of the sales are in the 5X5 size and smaller?

I dont want to build permanent walls when I can get a tent to do just as good a job in a SMALL space. Your a tard that cant get past that fact that we are not talking about an 8X8 room or bigger. IF I need a space that big then yes Mr. Obvious Im going to get busy making walls.

Your just here to argue and have no real value to input to the conversation.

Whats a "2X3"?? We all know what a 2X4 is but a master carpenter like you must have a magic store that sells you 2X3's.
You can build a 5x5 tent, you can build any dimensions, the first thing I seen when googling the most popular Gorilla tent a 4x8 popped up and I pointed out the flaws and how I would build it better.

2x3's are at Home Depot and they are also used in mobile homes, among other things here in the USA. Your ignorance is showing.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I set up my viparspectra 3x3 tent.

Seems ok. Haven't gotten inside to see if it's light tight. I don't exactly trust my wife to zip me up inside, and not just leave me in there.

Main complaint is I don't think it's strong enough to hold up a heavy light. Definitely not strong enough to hold up my carbon filter.

I like that it has different size holes for fans, ducting, cords. Each hole had a drawstring flap. I will probably tape where it connects flap to duct.
On the bottom is rectangle screened vents. The have velcro to hold them open. It's a piss poor design.

Does have a clear plastic observation window. Would be nice to have a liftable flap of green plastic as well, to correct color of LED lights. But spectrums ate different for each light so it wouldn't always be perfect.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I am looking to get a small tent for the san pedro collection. Need to take about 50 cuttings. Momma has spent most of her life in side lighting and is a bit stretchy. So when I clone her I want the babys to have their own light. I will also have to make a small batch of tea to make sure the cut I have is high in alkaloids as she was advertised.

psyphish

Veteran
What are you talking about? Panda film for walls or even that mylar film it's essentially a tent.

You don't need a house you frame the tent with the same dimensions as a tent. It's also pretty easy to pull nails.

I still don't see the point, panda film is way weaker than any of the tent material I've come across. Dragging a bunch of 2x4 into my apartment is surely going to raise questions, as would the sound of hammering nails.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I still don't see the point, panda film is way weaker than any of the tent material I've come across. Dragging a bunch of 2x4 into my apartment is surely going to raise questions, as would the sound of hammering nails.
use screws!:biggrin::tiphat:.

One can use3/4" pvc piping in stead of wood. Think Glue.:biggrin:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
use screws!:biggrin::tiphat:.

One can use3/4" pvc piping in stead of wood. Think Glue.:biggrin:

I'm way too much of a bull in a china shop to be having a flimsy PVC and Pandafilm tent. But I smell what you're cooking. How about 1/2"-3/4" conduit? Or 3/4" schedule 40 black pipe?

Another quick solution would be 4 sheets of reflective, rigid styrofoam insulation. stand them up to create the walls and tape them together. Cut a 5th in half to use as a roof and floor if so inclined.

That would make a pretty down and dirty room if you needed to isolate some plants for breeding projects or to flower out males. Only issue is needing to figure out a way to hang things. But if you cut them to just fit floor to ceiling, there's no reason you couldn't use the trussing (or joists depending) to hang your lights and fan/scrubber from.

Hell, I may just build a small one out of a single sheet if I find a male I want to hang on to. Use a 65 watt HLG panel for lighting and a couple muffin fans for air circulation (filter intakes and outtakes of course).

h.h.

Veteran
picture.php
I am looking to get a small tent for the san pedro collection. Need to take about 50 cuttings. Momma has spent most of her life in side lighting and is a bit stretchy. So when I clone her I want the babys to have their own light. I will also have to make a small batch of tea to make sure the cut I have is high in alkaloids as she was advertised.

Latest posts

Latest posts