What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Love Tents? Why? Hate Tents? Vent Your Reasons!

P

pongster

I guess that like everything else, tents have a specific purpose. Certainly you can travel between cities by bike or car. If you go by bike, you are green enviromental healthy, do exercise, save money but arrive late. Even if you buy the coolest and best bike available. In cars, same; you will go fast, but you can go comfy or crambled.

If you live at a small place, have no room for tools or don't have equipment bought for another subject (like you built part of your house, so you have saws, nails, hammers and stuff), or simply because you don't want to build a growspace, a tent is a very good option. Because the cost of building a growspace is never only the materials.
But if you are going nuclear, you must go atomic on room design and equipment as well; otherwise, it's like buying the latest cell phone model only to be eating maruchan for the rest of the year. For some people that makes sense though.

Myself over the years have built growspaces with wood, melamine, that silver reflective paper to cover the walls, streetlight bulbs, and i sure did have fun; but every day a new issue came up. Buy that new cup for the saw, buy that hanger because the light is too heavy, the door is too tight, the door is not tight enough. Sometimes is nice just to buy a plug and play kit, as long as you know what to do with it next.
best luck:tiphat:

G

I bought a small Gorilla tent 5 years ago and it’s still in like new condition. I have had it in use every day since and I open the zipper at least once a day if not more.
I don’t know about the cheaper ones but I’m considering buying another one. Would not consider any other brand because considering what I spent on fans and LED lighting the cost of the tent compared to the cheaper ones isn’t enough to bother me.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Been running my 5x9 Gorilla tent for just over 2yrs with no problems. Wouldn’t get any other brand. The Secret Jardin I have is good, but the Gorilla tent is unbeatable as far as tents go. And the clip in rack I have the 12inch wall fan and t-stat/humidity reader mounted to is pretty sweet as well. :good

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

CaptainDankness

I'd say they are pretty much junk. You can build basically the same thing for a fraction of the price. You can even replace plastic and zippers pretty easily.

Only upside I can see is simplicity, you don't need to be able to read a tape measure or swing a hammer, grandma can grow weed.:biggrin:

G

I'd say they are pretty much junk. You can build basically the same thing for a fraction of the price. You can even replace plastic and zippers pretty easily.

Only upside I can see is simplicity, you don't need to be able to read a tape measure or swing a hammer, grandma can grow weed.:biggrin:
And Id say your a fool for making such a broad idiotic statement. I would say more but anyone with sense will understand that different situations require different solutions. You however are a young dumbass most likely.

CaptainDankness

And Id say your a fool for making such a broad idiotic statement. I would say more but anyone with sense will understand that different situations require different solutions. You however are a young dumbass most likely.

Not my fault you are too dumb to slap a tent together.

R

Rab.C

i am not a fan of Lighthouse Max tents i bought 1 of these and it lights up like a lighthouse lol there is light leaks everywhere around every zip you can see into the tent via a closed zip. were the tent is stitched light leaks.so now i am going to build my own growroom so its more lightproof.i will put up pic tonight

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm sorry Douglas, I havent read your entire thread, may have even posted here before dont remember zactly but. I use an 8'x8'x8' room to put the 4'x4'x8' tent into. I like the idea of a lung type room. Controlling the climate in the room and then the tent thru intake and exhaust (exhaust into attic). Another problem, light leaks are more easily controlled this way. Yes, the Gorilla tent is constructed better but those zippers, which are good, teeth are way spread apart and my front door flap (inside) doesnt flap enough to cover the zipper closure from the inside and I could germ seeds on the light that comes out/through them. But the 'lung' areas darkness is further from the plants and light leak potential 'harm' to the girlse is much les and more easily noticeable. I am getting used to zippering from bottom to top but my fat ass prefers working at things at eye height..

h.h.

Veteran
Yep.
Any tent is only as good as its environment.
I have two fairly cheap tents that have worked well in a closed garage.
I'm sorry Douglas, I havent read your entire thread, may have even posted here before dont remember zactly but. I use an 8'x8'x8' room to put the 4'x4'x8' tent into. I like the idea of a lung type room. Controlling the climate in the room and then the tent thru intake and exhaust (exhaust into attic). Another problem, light leaks are more easily controlled this way. Yes, the Gorilla tent is constructed better but those zippers, which are good, teeth are way spread apart and my front door flap (inside) doesnt flap enough to cover the zipper closure from the inside and I could germ seeds on the light that comes out/through them. But the 'lung' areas darkness is further from the plants and light leak potential 'harm' to the girlse is much les and more easily noticeable. I am getting used to zippering from bottom to top but my fat ass prefers working at things at eye height..

CaptainDankness

$383 for a 4x8 Gorilla tent, hardly a perfect design. It will work and it is convenient.

But it has 3 thin poles on each 8' side, so much for framing 16" on center. Lol, Your walls are going to suck in a bit from negative air pressure.

Ok so you don't have tools. You can buy a really cheap hammer, you can buy a really cheap hand saw, a cheap tape measure, a cheap utility knife and a cheap staple gun. What's that $20-30 in tools?

Materials ok, 2x3's are cheap and will support your walls better than tent poles, you can also slap some blocking in between your studs to help prevent the negative air pressure sucking in your walls. We might be at $60 now.

Walls, panda film works though the real cheap shit needs an extra layer. You can also get that mylar type shit fairly cheap but it's not much better than flat white paint. So probably $100-150 all together if you have to buy tools.

I can do the same dimensions, make it water proof and disassemble and reassemble fairly easily.

The only logical reason to buy a tent is it is convenient. I'm actually not that young I'm over 30, just too wise to spend my hard earned money on something I can build better for much less. :tiphat:

$383 I can drywall an 8x8 and still have money left over.

psyphish

Veteran
$383 for a 4x8 Gorilla tent, hardly a perfect design. It will work and it is convenient.

But it has 3 thin poles on each 8' side, so much for framing 16" on center. Lol, Your walls are going to suck in a bit from negative air pressure.

Ok so you don't have tools. You can buy a really cheap hammer, you can buy a really cheap hand saw, a cheap tape measure, a cheap utility knife and a cheap staple gun. What's that $20-30 in tools?

Materials ok, 2x3's are cheap and will support your walls better than tent poles, you can also slap some blocking in between your studs to help prevent the negative air pressure sucking in your walls. We might be at $60 now.

Walls, panda film works though the real cheap shit needs an extra layer. You can also get that mylar type shit fairly cheap but it's not much better than flat white paint. So probably $100-150 all together if you have to buy tools.

I can do the same dimensions, make it water proof and disassemble and reassemble fairly easily.

The only logical reason to buy a tent is it is convenient. I'm actually not that young I'm over 30, just too wise to spend my hard earned money on something I can build better for much less. :tiphat:

Yeah, you also need an actual house to build the EXTRA ROOM into. If you decide to stop growing, well you're going to take apart the whole room, good luck selling the used drywall to someone, I didn't have any problems getting rid of my homebox evolution tents in the past. And I'm guessing an 8x8 room isn't used to grow for personal use. I have no problems spending 300 bucks on a drug operation, since I know I'll make that back and quite a bit more after the project.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
And yet this thread is completely about tents. Thank you for the other info, but it really belongs in a different thread. :tiphat:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Love Tents? Why? Hate Tents? Vent Your Reasons!

NO! He is entitled to his opinion here and, I believe it to be germane to the convo :) Saying something is f....d is mere criticism. Saying why/how something is f....d, is constructive criticism.

When we look at society and civility these days, no wonder there is so much hate in the world!
[/FONT]

G

And again your showing your one and only point of view which continues to show your ignorance. Tents are tents NOT grow rooms. Tents are for smaller situations. Even though they offer them in that size do you not realize the overwhelming majority of the sales are in the 5X5 size and smaller?

I dont want to build permanent walls when I can get a tent to do just as good a job in a SMALL space. Your a tard that cant get past that fact that we are not talking about an 8X8 room or bigger. IF I need a space that big then yes Mr. Obvious Im going to get busy making walls.

Your just here to argue and have no real value to input to the conversation.

Whats a "2X3"?? We all know what a 2X4 is but a master carpenter like you must have a magic store that sells you 2X3's.

Gone Camping

I have been using tents since day one, really don't have a space to build a proper room.. and the Mrs ban's my hobby to the unheated garage.. cant really blame her with kids and pending legal status.

So far my Gorilla Lite has been the best tent i'v used, I have had zipper failures in everything else. This fall will be my 4th season with it, and a second will be added. The latest shitty tent will be cut up to line my 2x4x40" seedling cabinet.

While I do have a few pinhole light leaks most of my effort goes into controlling temps in an unheated garage, being retired helps but i'm always checking on things. More garage work is planned this summer to make my space more consistent.

Perhaps with pending home grow in my states legal push.. and if I can kick out a few kids I can move inside. :)

In short.. tents work for me till I can justify the work and expense of building a proper room.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
And again your showing your one and only point of view which continues to show your ignorance. Tents are tents NOT grow rooms. Tents are for smaller situations. Even though they offer them in that size do you not realize the overwhelming majority of the sales are in the 5X5 size and smaller?

I dont want to build permanent walls when I can get a tent to do just as good a job in a SMALL space. Your a tard that cant get past that fact that we are not talking about an 8X8 room or bigger. IF I need a space that big then yes Mr. Obvious Im going to get busy making walls.

Your just here to argue and have no real value to input to the conversation.

Whats a "2X3"?? We all know what a 2X4 is but a master carpenter like you must have a magic store that sells you 2X3's.
Uh! 2x3" is a stud cut! At least in Canada it is!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Love Tents? Why? Hate Tents? Vent Your Reasons!

NO! He is entitled to his opinion here and, I believe it to be germane to the convo :) Saying something is f....d is mere criticism. Saying why/how something is f....d, is constructive criticism.

When we look at society and civility these days, no wonder there is so much hate in the world!
[/FONT]
Point taken. The fact you can build something for the same or less is a reason not to like tents. No hating, it was too early in the am for me apparently. lol Appreciate the correction. :tiphat:

CaptainDankness, thank you for posting your view and my apologies for not thinking my reply through. :)