What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Love Tents? Why? Hate Tents? Vent Your Reasons!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
so do zipper light leaks and the light coming through the holes where the thread in the sewing shines through not cause hermies?
My experience has been herms where pinhole light leaks are strong enough. Depends on the genetics as to how sensitive they are. The stronger the light and bigger the hole, the less sensitive your genetics have to be to have issues.

I don't treat tents as if they're light proof because they're not. I literally use them in rooms which are dark anyway, and recommend others do the same.

thailer

My experience has been herms where pinhole light leaks are strong enough. Depends on the genetics as to how sensitive they are. The stronger the light and bigger the hole, the less sensitive your genetics have to be to have issues.

I don't treat tents as if they're light proof because they're not. I literally use them in rooms which are dark anyway, and recommend others do the same.

well then i don't think it was the tent. the one place in the house i could put it has a HUGE window and someone was very stubborn on not blocking out the natural light since its in living area. the compromise ended up working out.i tried to put the tent in the garage but in the dead of winter, the space heater didn't fit inside with plants and outside the tent was laughable. So the final compromise was using built rooms. shes happier because the tent isn't in a living area too. she hated the sound of the fan.

last night someone asked me if i knew of a fan that was quiet but i only have experience with hurricane exhaust fans. Do you or anyone have any recommendations? he has his in a living area too and told me his lady of the house is not happy with the fan noise so he only runs it four hours a day.

420_manc_smoggy

In my opinion there is no substitute for a properly designed and built grow room for ultimate quality but I really love the fact that you can throw together (or dismantle) a fully functional grow room to a pretty high spec in a coupe of hours with a tent.

Douglas.Curtis

In my opinion there is no substitute for a properly designed and built grow room for ultimate quality but I really love the fact that you can throw together (or dismantle) a fully functional grow room to a pretty high spec in a coupe of hours with a tent.
They're damn convenient for sure.

My DR120 came with a carrying bag, but I notice the Mars Hydro and Vivosun do not. Are all the cheapie tents bagless these days? (Wait... your tires don't have inner tubes!!?? lol)

psyphish

Veteran

My DR120 came with a carrying bag, but I notice the Mars Hydro and Vivosun do not. Are all the cheapie tents bagless these days? (Wait... your tires don't have inner tubes!!?? lol)

Don't buy cheap tents. Even the cheap Secret Jardin DP90 4.0 tent came with a bag, it's great quality and well accessorized.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!

Don't buy cheap tents. Even the cheap Secret Jardin DP90 4.0 tent came with a bag, it's great quality and well accessorized.
By all means, buy the best you can afford :) OTOH you are paying for that bag :biggrin: A nice but unnecessary "convenience"!

Douglas.Curtis

By all means, buy the best you can afford :) OTOH you are paying for that bag :biggrin: A nice but unnecessary "convenience"!
Completely depends on the end user. I love the bag for when the tent is stored away. Others, who will probably leave the tent up for life, don't have any need for a bag.

With adhd as severe as mine, it really helps to keep everything handy in one place.

QQNPK

I hate my cheap ass tent because with adequate fan it will suck the entire tent inwards limiting the space uugghh wish i knew that when i decided to skimp on it hahah

Just a lil random rant lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Do they have double decker small tents? I need a 3 x 3 but would only be keeping short mom's and clones.

I like the looks of the three compartment tents with two little veg areas on the side. But I need it in reverse, with openings on opposite side. Won't work for my area.

Douglas.Curtis

I hate my cheap ass tent because with adequate fan it will suck the entire tent inwards limiting the space uugghh wish i knew that when i decided to skimp on it hahah

Just a lil random rant lol
FYI, this happens with the most expensive tents as well, though not quite as much when the material is really thick and heavy. Increase the size/number of intake vents and this problem will go away or at least reduce quite a bit.

Do they have double decker small tents? I need a 3 x 3 but would only be keeping short mom's and clones.

I like the looks of the three compartment tents with two little veg areas on the side. But I need it in reverse, with openings on opposite side. Won't work for my area.
Personally I would try and build something for that type of purpose. I do know Mars Hydro makes a 1.3x1.3 at 27"x27" :) It's small enough to put a lot of places. I have their TSW-2000 (300w) LED in one right now and it's looking really nice :)

Rigid foam works for my environment.
Cheap and easy. Sealed, able to run Co2.

Attachments

• 20190418_145111.jpg
    20190418_145111.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 17

dddaver

Veteran
I think there is a lot of egoism and self righteous mine is best shit with some things like this. In what universe is paying Mars Hydro $73 for a little 2x2x5' chinese made POS cheap?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
FYI, this happens with the most expensive tents as well, though not quite as much when the material is really thick and heavy. Increase the size/number of intake vents and this problem will go away or at least reduce quite a bit.

Personally I would try and build something for that type of purpose. I do know Mars Hydro makes a 1.3x1.3 at 27"x27" :) It's small enough to put a lot of places. I have their TSW-2000 (300w) LED in one right now and it's looking really nice :)

I was thinking the same thing. I can't see a double decker tent being able to hold the weight of the soil and plants. I've gotta do something. Running out of space, and taking forever to show sex.

Douglas.Curtis

I think there is a lot of egoism and self righteous mine is best shit with some things like this. In what universe is paying Mars Hydro $73 for a little 2x2x5' chinese made POS cheap?
I didn't buy it, so for a free tent it's rather nice for the job. The material is very thin though. I poked a hole with ease, using the cut wire end of a length of 4" flexible ducting.

They give you a small roll of aluminum tape to patch holes, it has tie ups for the door and is too short for me for cannabis. lol

QQNPK

I was thinking the same thing. I can't see a double decker tent being able to hold the weight of the soil and plants. I've gotta do something. Running out of space, and taking forever to show sex.

Hahaha i felt rather dumb moments after thw comment was made cause i probably dont have it hooked up correctly, i have a fan sucking out the air through the top and theb nothing else lol, i just open the filtervent to get airflow from there lol. Do i need 2 fans to run the tent correctly? Id like a sealed reflector for my 600w hps to have the current fan hooked up to. But so i also need a fan to blow in fresh air? I already cant stand the sound my 500/m2 does..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a older Jardin. It has a few pinholes but it sits in the dark mostly, closet tent. Zipper gave out a few years in but I ripped the one zipper out and learned how to use the remaining zipper right so it does not disengage the teeth. Bit of a trick to make the zipper work. 10 years and still going.

Not sure if the newer models have a better zipper. I would prefer if no zipper was used. Thought of getting a bigger tent as current is only 2x2' and less with negative pressure. I guess the current one will have to do as it tucks into the closet so nice.

psyphish

Veteran
I have a older Jardin. It has a few pinholes but it sits in the dark mostly, closet tent. Zipper gave out a few years in but I ripped the one zipper out and learned how to use the remaining zipper right so it does not disengage the teeth. Bit of a trick to make the zipper work. 10 years and still going.

Not sure if the newer models have a better zipper. I would prefer if no zipper was used. Thought of getting a bigger tent as current is only 2x2' and less with negative pressure. I guess the current one will have to do as it tucks into the closet so nice.

I ran a Secret Jardin DP90 tent for about 8 years, I upgraded it to the DP90 4.0 a few months ago, it's really good quality, the zippers glide smoothly and seem sturdier than the old ones. There's also some extra fabric on top of the zippers, so there won't be light leaks.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got a 5x5 Gorilla Tent on the way, should be here next week sometime.

I'll let you know if I like it or hate it.

Douglas.Curtis

Awesome, appreciate what you're sharing. Looking forward to updates. :D
This thread has been more informational than I thought it would be.

Thank you. :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

i have a fan sucking out the air through the top and theb nothing else lol
Missed this earlier... I have mine set up the same way. I opened the bottom of one lower vent and put that side toward the darkest corner of the room. I don't see them as being designed as a flowering tent, more for vegging.