What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WoW within a wardrobe.

Bobby Boucher

Welp,

I’m putting the house up for sale. With all this inherent debt on the property, I could be living in a mansion for what I pay here. Sad, but moving on, I’ve got some stealthing to do in regards to all the plant stuffs. Appraisal this weekend.

I may move back into the tents after I settle in somewhere new, but for now, I’d like to see how close I can get to matching my current output that I’m getting with 2x600w’ers in 2 separate 3’x3’ spaces, but in 2 ikea wardrobes, probably utilizing 400w’ers on light lifters, in an effort to emulate Marlo’s WoW. 30% less space, 30% less light.

Growing style ytb determined. I want to set everything up first and see what the temps run like before I get around to picking a medium, but I was thinking to run d.f’s organics like Marlo, some 2 liter hempie’s, or just strait Hydroton. I’ve still got a couple weeks before everything roots to figure out a medium.

I’ll run to ikea when they open in a couple hours so I can work with actual inside dimensions in my sketchups. be back later with said Sketch ups.

:smoke:

Bobby Boucher

Good to have you!

I’ll try my best to do you all proud and document the install to the best of my ability.

Off to Ikea I go..

Gry

Hope it goes well, thread title itself sure brings back memories
of past neat threads.

Bobby Boucher

Well, thank ya'll kindly for the warm wishes. I've always envied Marlo's space, and I was honestly getting a little bored after a few years of taking the same swing. Looking forward to the change of pace.

Got the wardrobes built. Battled with the sketches for the past few hours, got very little accomplished with them. Starting to hash out my limiting factors here.. and although I'd obviously really like for this thing to be super bright and super productive.. I really do want it to run as silently as possible. I wanna run the 600's I already have in there, but getting them to run quietly enough for my liking seems like a pretty far stretch.

SO.. just gonna order a bunch of different stealth fans and different wattage hps and whatever else and return what I don't use and wind up biting the bullet and just playing it brave. I'm sure I'll find a happy medium with the noise levels and the light intensity if I throw enough money at the problem, eventually.

Inside dimensions 22 5/8" x 37 7/8", x 75 1/8" (2'x3'x6'). PAX system frames, doors, handles, hinges, ~$180 for each system. Exactly 6' I.D footprint. Looks inconspicuous enough. Fits on a dolly. Wheels through a door frame. Pretty nifty.

Probably won't be back with an update for awhile. I got some spending to do, packages to wait on, along with the house appraisal and whatnot.

'til then.

Bobby Boucher

First concept. The more I look at it, the more I want to run the 600's. Estimating 120-240 square feet of sound proofing material. I've got a lot of homework to do in regards to sound proofing if I'm going to run this thing as bright as I'd like.

I feel like I might as well hire a professional acoustic engineer to take a gander.

Haven't even begun to figure out how I'm going to ventilate the thing.

For now, I've got 2 big ass over vegged plants hiding in one of the wardrobes, and I'm probably just going to run a vertical bulb and a 6" blower out the top without worrying about all the sound proofing and light baffles to finish them off.

I may even abandon the idea of sound proofing this thing altogether unless I can get the blueprints looked at by a professional. It's a lot of money and material to just be playing around with like a dick to only still wind up with a roaring wind tunnel.

:dunno:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.33.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.33.55 AM.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.12.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.12.55 AM.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.14.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 10.14.50 AM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 26

Bobby Boucher

Thanks. Glad to have ya.

Trying my hardest to refrain from playing 20 questions with ya'll, but if anyone has any ventilation suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thinking about trying a couple different panasonic whisper configurations. 50's 80's 110's, 240's and 290's are what I'm seeing off the bat. Probably try running 2 smaller fans for some noise reduction.

Might also make some sense buying a larger extractor (hyperfan stealth or similar?) and running it upright in between the buckets blowing straight up into the bulb as an active intake?

I dunno. I've only ever worked with big ass blowers. Never had to stealthify before. Just preliminary rantings. Lots of homework in store.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks. Glad to have ya.

Trying my hardest to refrain from playing 20 questions with ya'll, but if anyone has any ventilation suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thinking about trying a couple different panasonic whisper configurations. 50's 80's 110's, 240's and 290's are what I'm seeing off the bat. Probably try running 2 smaller fans for some noise reduction.

Might also make some sense buying a larger extractor (hyperfan stealth or similar?) and running it upright in between the buckets blowing straight up into the bulb as an active intake?

I dunno. I've only ever worked with big ass blowers. Never had to stealthify before. Just preliminary rantings. Lots of homework in store.

Questions and answers is helpful to us all go ahead and ask:biggrin:
i run my extractor upright works great ive never ran the hyperfan so cant comment but at present im using a TD silent fan with a variac and its the best one i have ever owned cannot hear it when its on low setting at night, awesome piece of kit and i have neighbours bedroom flush against my grow area so the td is perfect for my need for stealth either way im sure you will get it right good luck :tiphat:

St. Phatty

Why not just buy a box van off of Craigslist and grow in there while your house is on the market ?

I was looking at SUV's yesterday and saw a decent looking box van for $2500.

An expensive closet, but if it helps you go forward with your real estate plans ...

Bobby Boucher

Going to try out the TD. Thanks for the recommendation.

Strappin on my work boots right now to go and cut the light baffles..

I'll be back with some pictures, if these old bones don't slow me down too much. Still exhausted from prepping the house for the appraisal.

I never considered getting a box van. I made sure to get a wardrobe that would easily dolly through door frames and into my garage, where i can shrink wrap the hell out of it while people come look at the house.

I did have to take an inch off the bottom to make getting it through the door frames a little easier.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Looks like you have a plan. You may want to check out the ac infinity cloudline t6.

snel

I didn't find the TD that powerful and they are big fans. If you are growing in a cab, for headroom I reckon i'd just be looking at a 5inch Ruck and a fan controller. Should be pretty quiet and lot cheaper?

Hey Bobby

Can’t help but think you’re really gonna be fighting heat from that 600 with those 22” deep dimensions. Or will have to have your fan roaring. What route did you decide to go with the sound proofing?

I’m running a vertical 400 with a dialed down 6” inline in a little less than 30x30”. Sounds like white noise...pretty stealthy. But man, I can’t imagine cooling a 600 in my space while keeping the sound anywhere near stealthy.

Always been a fan of the w.o.w style grows. Bet you’ll have some great results!

Bobby Boucher

My bro from another mo is a gigging musician instrumentalist type who knows a handful of people that work with sound engineering. Their collective advice is what will determine what kind of materials I use, or whether I use anything at all. Shit is super expensive, and I'm going to obviously have to have big entrances and exits for the air, which may negate the point of spending a ton on sound proofing materials to begin with.

I can't say much for how I am going to battle the heat, but I would think you'd have to run this thing in a pretty cool room. I also have three 2' cool tubes I might try to incorporate, if need be. And obviously if I can't get it to run quietly enough, I'll simply have to back down on my lighting. Or if I can't keep it below 85, I'll have to grow in a media that will allow for the higher temps.

The size of this TD fan (19") threw a wrench in my plans.. glad I opted clean out and organize my garage last night instead of cutting out the baffles. Looking for that cloud line's dimensions, atm. (Good to have you, Reiko!)

Anyways, back to the drawing board..

*I conveniently forgot to mention how F'n-A-Right Joe and Snel might be here. I'm just thinking in a "no-expenses-spared" type of mentality that might not really work out exactly how I intend it to. Not terribly opposed to using less lighting, or sparing the silenced extraction fans that steal 20 vertical inches from my grow. I might just be idealizing here..

The fan will be here today and I'll have a chance to see how it runs.

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

I fit the TD by taking it out of its fancy housing. Weather stripped the duct connections to try and give back a little of what I took from it.

I’m buying the light rail and pulleys next week. Keeping the light up high for the next week or two to encourage some stretching anyways. Just hoping the moving light allows for the temps to stay reasonable by the bulb.

My sensor push data didn't tell me much, other than at the pictured light height, the cab stays cool as a cucumber. Seems a bit biased considering how close the bulb was to the vent, and that the fan was running full speed. Quietly enough, I might add.

Work work work..

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

Finally got the light baffles cut out. I'll probably go and buy some nice black laminated ones precut to size from Ikea. I'll also grab a white one to place above the light baffles to try and help redirect all the airflow up along the walls and through the bases of the plants. As pictured, there are 90 inches passive intake for the walls, 60 inches for the light, and 30 for the bases of the plants.. Not sure if those are good numbers, I might want more pull on the light and less pull up along the walls. Dunno..

Set a couple dados in the uprights and oversized the top shelf to get some extra support.

Cardboard backing didn't like my spade bit. I knew it wouldn't. Too lazy to get up and grab a hole saw and I paid the price when the electrical inlet blew out.. New frames are only 90 bucks if I decide to scrap either of these.

Probably just tack in a bunch of half inch wooden strips 2.25 inches apart from each other and loop in some white insulated copper wiring. I've got a bunch of scrap pieces laying around, otherwise I'd probably be looking for cheaper alternatives.

I'll go install this vinyl gasket weather stripping I've got in the next couple hours.. I bought white hoping it would help make the thing look a little more normal.. Dunno if white will hold the light in though.. :/

Bobby Boucher

OK.. so.. it would cost $30 more to cover my 4 existing osb shelves top and bottom with 80mil sound deadening material, black and foil, than it would to go spend the 60 dollars on new black and white laminated shelves at ikea. So.. there ya go.

Pays for itself with the time I'll save not having to cut out new baffles.

Should be here in the next day er two.. Light mover on friday.

Started playing around with some old low profile skate frames on the table saw and solved for the pulleys. I'll solve for the slack issue by welding thin sheets of metal to the metal light socket housing until it weighs just enough to keep the bulb completely vertical while it moves along its path. The weather stripping worked out perfectly. I should have completed photos up wednesday or thursday, and get some idea of how much strain the light rail motor will incur before I order one.

If anyone has any light mover recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

Jesus.. Tap-dancing.. Christ..

If I had to do it again, I'd just go buy the laminated shelves from ikea.

I've laid hundreds of thousands if not millions of square feet of every type of vinyl under the sun. This butyl mat was a fucking nightmare. Its heavy as shit, its sharp as fuck, it doesn't separate from itself even after being cut, and it needs to be installed at 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Nightmare.

The fuckin closet was already silent to begin with save for the roar of the wind. Pretty stupid. Not to mention, who f'n knows if its actually plant safe but wtf.. the show must go on.

It's been a hard few weeks. I'll go and drop the buckets in after I cut out the support posts and get to tying everything back. bbl.