What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do Landrace Sativa's Need Less Nutrients?

I was very curious about this, I've heard a lot of time Landrace Sativa's need a lot less nutrients, nitrogen in particular I'm sure, does anyone have any input or reference to this subject?

I'm planning on growing a few this year and was wondering what kind of nutrient levels I should be custom tailoring into my soil mixture for them.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
depends on how you feed but yes especially late in flower some won't finish if you feed them

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I believe that is an accurate general statement. Of course there are some that are hogs.

Best bet is to use a nice organic soil mix that isn't too hot. You can always add a tea or topdress if they look hungry.

I believe that is an accurate general statement. Of course there are some that are hogs.

Best bet is to use a nice organic soil mix that isn't too hot. You can always add a tea or topdress if they look hungry.

Was thinking the very same. I use coco coir with many different dry nutrients and I figured I can just cut the recipe and play it by appearance with top dressing.

Sunshineinabag

I think EVERY cultivar should be approached with this mindset!:tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
it is more than one cue get a sativa that doesn't want to finish to actually finish and these cues are relative to methodology and environment

personally I find temps matter as well

picture.php

Carraxe

Veteran
I've grown some landraces in coco and I found that half strength feeding worked very well.

Cheers

weedtoker

Veteran
As many have told, generally speaking yes. Landraces/heirlooms are many times subjected to minimal treatment and are adapted to some extent to the place where they exist/are maintained. (ex: little organic matter, or little rainfall during growing season)

Also, and as @Weird as stated, and this is often overlooked, it's not only about that specific route/cue. Said lines are much more "plastic" to any change in the environment, so understanding their origins and observing differences, will allow you with patience and a bit of testing to adapt the conditions better and/or to elicit better expression of genepool you're aiming to work with... Even in the same family you can/should find extreme traits (like one plan can drink/eat a lot, the other not, or pest resistance, etc), so a singular recipe will probably fall short of the desired outcome.

I'm defo not an authority, and the picture is probably way bigger (meaning more things will paint the total canvas), but these influence a plant, from experience, (even a poly-hybrid, just differently). Spend the time and you will see for yourself:

-Type of planting as in total depth, size and type of container, aeration of growing media and it's field capacity, as all the components composing the media, be it the base (ex: coco vs peat) as much as the amendments, soil conditioners, can change things tremendously. "Micro" life is also of big consideration. If you take an affie from the mountains and put her in sterile peat, expect her to show her "true" colors?

- Type of light, as in intensity, quality of information/spectrum, duration of critical nighttime period.

-Humidity and temperature (both for minimum, maximum, average)

- YOU :biggrin:

Cheers :tiphat:

Rodehazrd

I tried Bodhi Oaxacan Zipolite in mineralized pro mix. fed too heavy with fish hydorlysate
Bitches went 26 weeks, never saw a brown trich, smoked like rabbit tobacco. I'm back to my Bangi tlll I get more skills. I did not have good temp control and used some cheap led's for flowering. I'm back with the 1k hps now running some sativa polyhybrids. When the stash builds up again I want to try the acapulco.

damien50

I'm growing 6 x Ace Malawi x Panama Fem and only feeding 700ppms in coco in their third week of flowering

Attachments

• IMG_20190422_212448220.jpg
    IMG_20190422_212448220.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190424_193228786_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20190424_193228786_PORTRAIT.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 34

rolandomota

Veteran
So if you feed half strength but flower twice as long or even three times then it's the same or more nutrition therough the lifecycle

Latest posts

Latest posts