What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Acid Test diploma up for auction

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
NewImage40.png

The above 1966 Acid Test Diploma of Merry Prankster and Jerry Garcia's former wife Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Garcia is up for auction as part of The HeART of Rock and Roll Poster Auction. Current bid is $5,775. Over at Collectors Weekly, our pal Ben Marks puts this tattered piece of paper in context as a souvenir of a milestone event in psychedelic, counterculture , and multimedia history. "The High Price of a Degree in LSD"

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Wonder if mountain girl is auctioning it or if she lost it somewhere and someone is cashing in on some history. That is pretty fuckin' cool. Zane Kesey makes new blotter art with the acid test degrees on them.

Green Supreme

Veteran
We should have a thread here on blotter art. Actually now that I think of it, that may not be allowed. Peace GS

B

BluEyeDevil

I've always had an appreciation for 60s psychedelic art work...via concert posters,handbills..prints..ect.
Not surprising this diploma is $$..especially if that is MoutainGirls sig.
Check out wolfgangsvault....some big $ on original prints..

I was looking at this..

Then I saw this..

:joint:

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
you could get a lot of blotto for $5gs... and youd be laughing at some old piece of paper with Jerrys Exwifes name on it. Maybe it would be cool to have though.

S

SeaMaiden

One of my favorite books when in high school was Tom Wolf's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

This is awesome.

S

SeaMaiden

Hey, I think now's a good time to take a trip in the Way Back Machine. I like to have 'Movie Days' where I watch movies only from one particular year. 1967 was a fantastic year for flicks, for example. The movies I usually choose for my 1967 day are comprised always of The Graduate, sometimes Far From the Madding Crowd, The Taming of the Shrew and stuff like that.

But so was 1971, and in the vein of this thread I will recommend watching, then reading, Sometimes A Great Notion. It's my very most favorite book written by the head Merry Prankster himself, Ken Kesey. The film was very close to the book, in my opinion, held true though it couldn't hold the kind of dialog Kesey presents in his books.

From there we could move to The French Connection, A Clockwork Orange, and of course Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and since I'm addicted to anything historical, Mary, Queen of Scots.

The Wicker Man stands on its own, and I ain't talking about that awful Nicholas Cage version.

Max Headroom

Veteran
i quite enjoyed this flick. as close as any of us will ever get to what that legendary bus(ride) was like. recommended.

Magic Trip (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235790/

Based on the words and recordings of Ken Kesey, Magic Trip is a documentary chronicling this cross country journey and it gives us a keen sense of what this experience was truly like: a drug-addled sex-filled romp of disorganization that lost its way even before it got started. As it turns out this "Merry Band of Pranksters," as they liked to be called, were nothing more than a group of rebellious pseudo-adults trying, like the hippies and beatniks, to buck the traditions of their parents and forge a new path that bared no resemblance to what they felt was the stuffy existence they grew up in. It was, like most of the mythology of the '60s, a trip that was nothing more than adolescent ideology dressed up in a quest for enlightenment.

With a 16mm color camera in tow and a whole mess of drugs, they make their way to New York but along the way realize that the journey had become more important than the destination. With footage and interviews that have gone virtually unseen or heard for more than 40 years, we experience with Kesey and his cohorts a trip marred by the excessive use of acid and LSD and complicated by the casual sexual affairs of the participants. A genuine '60s experience long before the flower power movement became a universal symbol of the era.
summary from dvdverdict

Dr.NO

That is amazing! A piece of American history, it should be on display next to the constitution.

L

longearedfriend

not worth much to me personally :) but I understand the value it could have to others

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

found an 'Acid Test' poster while searching
for some Merry Prankster Further bus pics.

AcidTest.jpg

here's a classic including the wrong way sign.......

merry-pranksters2.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts