What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Steve Jobs RIP

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
"Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_ptbiPoXM

"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Such a great speech. It was the first thing I turned on when I heard he died. Because everything just king of made more sense...now that he is gone.

The world was truly a better place because of him...which is probably the biggest honor a man can ever get.

RIP Jobs. too young, that is for certain.
your creations will live long after we are gone.:thank you:

rip..

gonna be interesting to see how apple will do in the future, without him...

i agree. i do wonder of the direction apple will take after their founder, creator, leader has now left the platform. we will see i guess.

sutra1

RIP Steve Jobs. As I post this from my Mac with an Ipod playing Johnny Winter in the background.

HempHut

I've never owned an Apple product, but there's no denying Jobs' influence and impact on technology products, their styling and their popularity with the masses.

I had heard previously that Microsoft's culture was dominated by alcohol and that Apple's culture was dominated pot -- looking at their respective products and the creativity behind them I can believe it. I found this from the CNN article on Jobs:

He quit one of his first jobs, designing video games for Atari, to backpack across India and take psychedelic drugs. Those experiences, Jobs said later, shaped his creative vision.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/05/us/obit-steve-jobs/index.html?iref=BN1&hpt=hp_t1

Too bad we lost another creative, successful and innovative stoner. :tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
one of the really unique people of our time
i see some of the platitudes getting posted out there, i guess that always happens
calling him an Edison, which seems well off the mark IMHO
Jobs wasn't an inventor, but had a sharp insight into the value of an invention, which came from others
the closest personality i can recall would be Walt Disney
both had a laser like insight into what would appeal to the market

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
Steve Jobs was a thief in the beginning - look up PARC research center -Xerox! He didnt invent anything just copied others. I have never paid for an Apple product. but made lots off the stock.

Kind of glad he moved on.

8dcafdcf-9968-4ede-abec-4d3f95ddec651.jpg

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs

rest in paradise

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
Steve Jobs was a thief in the beginning - look up PARC research center -Xerox! He didnt invent anything just copied others. I have never paid for an Apple product. but made lots off the stock.

Kind of glad he moved on.

i have mixed feelings on Mr. Jobs, he wasn't perfect, few of us are
Xerox really did develop the GUI interface, much of it anyways, superb innovation
but the management had no clue what to do with it, Jobs was invited in because they didn't know how to market it
how long the GUI might have sat inside Xerox's labs if Jobs wasn't involved?

NPK

The GUI would have languished in Xerox's basement. Jobs was not perfect, but unlike most of us here, he was a genius and a visionary. He left the world a better place than he found it.

It's in extremely poor taste to make statements like "I'm kind of glad he moved on" the day after he died, especially when followed with a gloating statement about your profits on his company's stock. Crude and gross. Imagine how someone in his family would feel upon reading that. Big thumbs down.