What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONERS- a collection of various methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
There are a million ways to clone in the Naked City. Trouble is finding the method that works for you. No other area of growing will see such disparate results from identical procedures. What saves me may kill you dead. Domes are the prime example. Many say always, many say never. In the end, if it makes roots, it’s the right way to go.

Many of these can be found in the Link-O-Rama (the first place one should look before asking any question on any subject) but, people never seem to look there. You’ll note this thread is closed to new comments so that readers need not filter through comments, questions or jokes. I’ll be posting edited versions, that they may be seen at a glance, with links to original posts for full details.

This first set will be in order of complexity starting with the simplest. If you feel I’ve missed a method (still like to find ones for soil and coco) or you have an intersting variation on an existing method, shoot me a PM for consideration.

On with the show!... :dance013:

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Water Cloning

Water Cloning

This post has been edited to fit in a single window. Please see the original for further reading.

Cloning in plain water under fluoros by "guest"

Unlike every other cloning method, water cloning requires no rooting hormone, humidity dome, ph check or specific kind of water to make it work. The cuttings snipped end is inserted in water and simply continues on as if nothing had happened, transpiring moisture through its leaves, keeping water pressure up the proper way, from stem to leaves, as oposed to artificial room humidity. Ph and water quality are similarly non issues because there is no root system to be affected by either factor.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Water Cloning - Part Deux

Water Cloning - Part Deux

This post has been edited to fit in a single window. Please see the original for further reading.

'Solo Cloning' - Cheap and Easy Cloning by Peregrin Took

I get asked about my cloning technique alot, and figured it was time to do a little how-to.

This is super simple, and hard to screw up. All you need is:

-Cups, two different sizes. The larger size shouldnt be clear, but somewhat opaque, like the red party cups shown.

-Rooting hormone. I use whatever is cheap.

-Water

-Cuttings

Now your done, simply stick em under some low wattage lighting, and wait. After around a week or so, you can start lifting the top cup and checking for roots. Takes me anywhere from 5-15 days to start seeing 'em.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Wick System - Perlite

Wick System - Perlite

This post has been heavily edited to fit in a single window. Please see the original for further reading.

Super Cheap Mass Cloner by "guest"

My wife found these containers at the dollar store. I bought 2 packages of tiki torch wicks for about $1.50 each.To increase the depth of the reservoir, I cut the top ring from the white dishpan to use as a lift, giving an 1 1/2" deep res.

This is how it nests together. I adjusted the wicks to touch the bottom of the unit. (note the white "ring" between the black tubs is just that, a ring. There are only two tubs. fb)

The white tub can be inverted and inserted snugly as a humidity dome and light diffuser. The 50 site wick cloner for under $10.00

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Wickless Wick System - Vermiculite

Wickless Wick System - Vermiculite

This post has been HEAVILY edited to fit in a single window. Please see the original for further reading.

World class cloner new at walmart by "guest"

Less than 3 bucks and works like a charm....

The only modification I made to what I bought from walmart is drilling 3 small holes(1/32") bit in each of the bottom caps.... I wrote numbers on all the wells for use with different plants etc....In this pic the caps are on the bottom...

The pic shows the cloner filled with (fine grade) vermiculite sitting in a small container which I fill so there is about an inch or so of water above the blue bottom caps... refill before the water level reaches the bottom blue cap...

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Micro Wick Cloner

Micro Wick Cloner

Mini Perlite Cloner by Sunnydog

Here is a pic of my Mini Perlite Cloner,
Real easy! :joint:
For when you only need a few!

(I'll guess that's a tiki torch wick or similar. fb)

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Mini Wick - Rockwool

Mini Wick - Rockwool

I won't even try to truncate this one. Excellant micro cloner, refer to the original thread for full details.

How to make a cloner for FREE. by Pontiac

1015210.jpg

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Rockwool and Dome

Rockwool and Dome

D'oh! This one belongs right below Water Cloners. Better late than never...

Cheap Homeade Dome Cloner by rule35sub1

I bought some Glad storage containers. I cut out the centers of the lids and glued them together. I then snapped it together and put in some clones. This unit works great, and it was built for under 5 bucks.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Rapid Rooters and Dome

Rapid Rooters and Dome

Truncated beyond all recognition. I mean, forget Readers Digest... Refer to the original thread for details

Cloning with JJScorpio

Rapid Rooter plugs, Rootone rooting hormone with fungicide and a humidity dome, tray and cover.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Bubblers - the Right Way

Bubblers - the Right Way

Stripped to the bone! With apologies to Cortez, please refer to the original thread.

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners) by Cortez

I find the best thing to do is nothing at all.LEAVE EM ALONE. No nutes,no rooting aids, indirect light only.Don't worry about blacking out your container.There is no difference.Remember a plant's worst enemy is man!!!! p.s I transplant(to coco soil mix) when tap roots develop side shoots.. Hope this helps!!!...........Cortez

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Bubbler - The "Wrong" Way

Bubbler - The "Wrong" Way

No other area of growing will see such disparate results from identical procedures.

And here’s a prime example. Used the “right” way, my bubbler killed everything it touched. Used “wrong” 100% success.

A one minute soak in full strength IBA/NAA clone solution. Cloning gel and Rockwool in 75ºF water, 1/4 tsp per gal each of GH FloraMicro and FloraBloom pHed to 5.8. Keeping cuts short with well trimmed leaves allows cloning as low as 15% RH (relative humidity) with neither domes or misting. Bottom shoots root in 10-14 days, tops in 5-7.

Member B. Friendly uses a bubler somewhere in between (mostly “right”) He has a heater, unlike Cortez but, uses no Rockwool, gel, food or pH adjustments.

$45 roughly canadian $$ for a 55 site bubble cloner, without the heater it's $100us with shipping for the same thing. Stick cuttings 2'' under water and they should root in 5+ days, I'll find out soon

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Aero Cloner

Aero Cloner

Very detailed DIY EZ Cloner at a fraction of the cost. Viciously edited here, see original thread for details.

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps! by KingRalph

Here is a simple step-by-step guide to building what is known as an Aero Cloner and been popularized as the expensive EZ-Cloner.

i truly hope this saves folks the money that ez-cloners would steal from them, or makes roots possible, or both, just know that you can always do it yourself. peace n green thumbs all. :joint:

... new addition.......

Lets Build a Clone Machine *Step by Step* by Rumpleforeskin

Excellent tutorial, refer to original for complete step by step

01018.jpg

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Fogger

Fogger

Reduced to a shell of the of it's former self. Please see original thread for details. His rubbermaid drain plug mod alone is enough reason to read the thread whether you fog or not.

**Lets fog it up : DIY fog cloner by Fuzygrowth

Hey guys... bringing another DIY project to the table. today i decided to build a fog cloner. most of this stuff was just sitting around,an ultrasonic humidifier, some plumbing fittings and a rubbermaid bin so why not put it to use right.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Fogger Part Deux

Fogger Part Deux

Merman's mother wouldn't recognize what little I've left of this one. Please see original for details.

Supersonic Foggaponic Floracloner! by Merman

Here is what makes the fog. It is very important to purchase the float accessory (the round black shape around the red light). Its a plastic encased styrofoam float that keeps the fogger at exactly the correct height in the water for maximum fog. You'll run into all kinds of problems if you dont' get one.

I recommend you use only RO water. The ceramic disc in the fogger attracts electrolytes (thats your PPM/EC) in the water and gets all gummed up

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Air Layering - Cloning directly on the Mom

Air Layering - Cloning directly on the Mom

This allows for much larger clones. In terms of simplicity, this should've been posted earlier but, it seems little used. Lightly edited you should still refer to the original thread.

Air Layering by Sunnyside

1. Scrape the outer layer of tissue away
2. Add rooting hormone (rootech) to the scared tissue.
3. Wrap scarred tissue with rooting plug.
4. Wrap plug with clear saran wrap.
5. Keep moist.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Sphagnum Moss with Tray and Dome

Sphagnum Moss with Tray and Dome

CLONING WITH SPHAGNUM MOSS BY HIGH COUNTRY

A custom, step-by-step tutorial made just for you by, Highcountry :thank you: Viciously edited here, see the original for full details

Mist once, dome for 7 days, remove dome, roots in an additional 7 days, transplant. I especially like the "double boiler" for temp maintenance. High uses this with an Ebb and Flow Hydroton table, should work well with soil or coco as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.