What's new

Some leafs problems

Equilibrium

How long has this problem been going on? Since week 3 of veg
What STRAIN are you growing? Great White Shark and Northern Light Blue
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
Seed
What is the age of your plants?
8 weeks in veg
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
Since the start
How Tall are the plants?
Average of 30-40 centimeters
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
Vegetative
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
///
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
1 subject by pot, 7 liters pot
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
Canna soil Professionnal
What Nutrient's are you using?
Canna Bio Vega
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water?
8-9 ml for 5L
How often are you feeding?
Every 3-4 days
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
///
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
///
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
I don't know
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
I never measured it. If it can really help, tell me and I'll do it
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
pH pen
How often are you watering?
Every 3-4 days
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
I feed at almost every watering,and I feed every 3-4 days
What size bulb are you using?
2 bulbs of 600W
What is the distance to the canopy?
30-40cm
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
50-70
What is the canopy temperature?
25°C
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
22/14 with a variation of 8C
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Well, I can't really calculate it as I have a very big fan at half power. But I think its pretty much dialed in as I have a strong negative pressure
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
The intake is the bottom of the door of the room, and vant have some rest of 15-30 mn at night
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
sometimes yes
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
NO
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
Soft
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
I use a water almost RO, as it has only 0,05 EC in it.
Are you using water from a water softener?
No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
No
Are plant's infected with pest's?
No

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I've just read that it would be better if pics wre taken out the HPS range so I'll take a new set this evening.

I started using epsom salts 2 weeks ago from the advice of my grow shop. The problem seems to have slow down a bit but I still can see the leaves turning yellow and having these dead parts on them

Snype

Veteran
From what I can see you veged your plants for 8 weeks and they are in small containers. In 8 weeks of veg I'm in a minimum of 12 liter pots. Also you said that you feed every 3-4 days. After you feed you want to give them just plain water for the next 2 times before you feed again. Plus pH is very important and because your containers are so small, you're going to have bigger pH swings. I would start out by getting a pH meter and flushing out your plants with pH'd water.

Snype

Veteran
Oh maybe you do pH cause you have a pen. Test the run off and see what it is.

Equilibrium

All right Snype.

yes I do test me pH before watering, but never the run off water. i'll do so this evening when the light go on.

Equilibrium

I took better pics today:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Watered them with a 6.4pH and 1.8EC. Run off water was at 6.1pH and 2.2EC.

I guess they wanted more water than nutrients. That still doesn't explain what kind of deficiency/problem I'm facing.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
A very intelligent grower here taught me something a while back . . .

That purple leaf veins usually indicate a watering problem (either too much or too little) . . .

They look kind of over-watered and N deficient, which can something go hand in hand, but in my experience purple leaf veins are a big stress indicator and usually related to watering schedule.

good luck :)

Here a few pics of the same problem I had a while back, it was overwatering . . .

picture.php

picture.php

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
OK so what should be my plan?

Flush them with water only at 6.5-6.6pH?

Personally I wouldn't flush if I had other options, namely transplanting . . . or even watering with an Earth Worm Castings slurry, which is how i brought my sick plants back to life . . .

I've never seen flushing do anything but make problems worse (except in instances of toxicity), I realize that's my personal experience, but everytime I've flushed everything that I hoped would get better got way way worse, just my experience :)

Did you add lime to your medium when you mixed it? That is key in my experience to preventing TONS and TONS of problems in soil(less) mixes - dolomite lime at about 1-2TBS/gallon of medium - no pH problems from then on :)

Equilibrium

Etinarcadiego: The first pic you posted looks EXACTLY like my problem. I'm gonna go your way and change waterings. Something's definitely wrong.

I can't transplant.

Earth worm castings... wouldn't you know I bought some of this stuff 3weeks ago to experiment with it... I think it's time to use it. Could you tell me how do you prepare it for my problem. How did you do?

I didn't add lime in my medium. I buy my soil from canna. Here's the description of the soil: http://www.canna-uk.com/node/14
I keep hearing about dolomite lime and I wish I had a way to put it in my soil right now.

Thanks for help everyone, I think I'm gonna keep needing help 'till this problem is resolved. Thanks ICMag.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I've got that exact same problem with a couple of my plants in flower.

My temps have been very low recently, and think I've been overwatering them a bit as they haven't dried out as quick due to the cold.

If your temps are fine, I'd suspect overwatering.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Etinarcadiego: The first pic you posted looks EXACTLY like my problem. I'm gonna go your way and change waterings. Something's definitely wrong.

I can't transplant.

Earth worm castings... wouldn't you know I bought some of this stuff 3weeks ago to experiment with it... I think it's time to use it. Could you tell me how do you prepare it for my problem. How did you do?

I didn't add lime in my medium. I buy my soil from canna. Here's the description of the soil: http://www.canna-uk.com/node/14
I keep hearing about dolomite lime and I wish I had a way to put it in my soil right now.

Thanks for help everyone, I think I'm gonna keep needing help 'till this problem is resolved. Thanks ICMag.

Yah, when I had these problems I too was really wishing there was some way to add time to the soil after the fact, you can add some to the water when you water, I tried adding 1TBS per gallon and letting it sit overnight, you can even add that right to the "Slurry" recipe below.

As I mentioned I got the EWC Slurry suggestion from a really cool guy - and a great grower and member here at ICMAG, I've quoted his post to me (in my old thread) for your consideration below. I did exactly as he suggested the next 2 watering and let me tell ya, never had another problem after that - he really saved my plants.

Here ya go (doesn't get any simpler than this :)

you can use an airstone if you want to make some castings tea which works great, but when im feeling lazy, i get a 1 gallon bucket. put a few handfulls of castings. add water about half way, stir with a stick to make a castings slurry. top dress the slurry let it sit 10 minutes, then water as normal. works almost as good yet takes 15 minutes.

Equilibrium

Nice, I'm gonna do it tomorrow, first thing.

2 questions: what does TBS and "top dress" means?

Thanks a lot, will be back with the feedback about the recipe tomorrow.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Nice, I'm gonna do it tomorrow, first thing.

2 questions: what does TBS and "top dress" means?

Thanks a lot, will be back with the feedback about the recipe tomorrow.

Hey man,

TBS = Tablespoon (unit of measure equal to 3 teaspoons)

top dress = to put on the top/surface of your soil(less) mix, or even to till into the top 1-3" of your mix.

Hope that helps, post back with your results :)

ColBatGuano

In standard kitchen recipe notation:

T or TBS or TBLS = Tablespoon
t or TSP = Teaspoon
c = Cup

When I top dress, I usually do it a few hours, or the next day after a watering. I always "scratch" the surface of my soil at that time. Using a standard dinner fork, I till the top inch of the soil in each pot. It breaks up clumps on the top of the soil. This helps keep my next watering even, preventing the water from pooling and running down in "pockets" rather than evenly throughout the soil. I put any top-dress elements on before I do this, so they also get scratched into the top inch of the soil and get watered down evenly.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
OK so what should be my plan?

Flush them with water only at 6.5-6.6pH?

First... 1.8 ec is pretty dang high...

Second... LOWER THAT PH... you want to get the PLAIN WATER PH to 6.1 and soak em... The next watering move to 6.5... then the next watering 6.3..

YOU SHOULD NEVER PH YOUR WATER TO 7.0.... YOU JUST SHOULDN"T...

Geeze...

The idea is to get your water PH in the ranges where the micro nutes can get up taken.... LOWER PH is what to do..

You should always PH around too... Don't just water constantly at 6.5.... Move it around.... betwee 6.1 and the absolute highest... 6.8 staying mainly around 6.4...

This gives a chance for everything to find its sweet spot and get used...

Also... I would lower the ec to aroun 1.5 max... go fert... then half fert... then plain then plain the fert then half fert then plain ... mix it up a bit...

You should see things picking up in the new growth and no more progression of the yellowing..

Peace

Equilibrium

Allright, thanks for these explanations.

Ok, let's see.

I take a 1 gallon bucket, put some handfuls of castings, add water half way, stir the mix.
I top dress the mix, scratching the surface a little.
I wait 10 mn.
I water normally (should I put some nutrients in it?).

I have to wait 2 hours until the lights turn on... I will keep you guys informed

Equilibrium

Done...

I sprayed some neem oil on the plants just in case...

Top dressed the mix. I like the concept. Asked for dolomite lime at my growshop, they don't sell it but the guy told me he was going to try to get some for me.

Low stress trained some plants, so the bottom can catch up.
I will tell you how they look tomorrow as I don't expect a immediate reaction.

Thanks again guys.

Equilibrium

Ok so the top dress seems to work pretty well.

picture.php
picture.php

:thank you:

They're in flower now. I'll be back in a couple days to tell you guys how they doing.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i never understood why people will test the water going in but not the water coming out?

you have a magnesium defeciency, im sure you already know by now. those yellow leaves arent going to turn back green so i hope thats not what you're waiting for. they will just continue to get worse and then fall off. i really hope you havent been anticipating them turning back green because thats another problem chain you've created for yourself.

step 1 is let the pots dry out all the way, i mean bone dry a slight breeze will knock the pots over dry. then water with plain water and epsom salts or whatever you have for calcium and magnesium. i prefer using lime myself. molasses works too if you dont have access to lime or epsom salts.

then you can resume your normal schedule on the next watering after that. from your pics i dont think you're overwatering but the way your ph is dropping after you add water tells that your medium is too acidic. im gonna have to go back to page one and see what your medium is, i thought you said soil in my skimming. yeah soil. in soil you dont want the ph that low keep it between 6 and 7, as close to 7 as you can really. anyway looks like your issues are resolved, good luck in the future. remeber the plants know whats best, learn to listen to what they want and not what it says on the side of a bottle.

Latest posts

Latest posts