What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

considering a switch to flood and drain

70wDreams

I run a NFT / EBB & Flow system and really love it. I think a DWC/SWC (or variant thereof) may have higher yields because of bubblers under the roots constantly supplying highly oxygenated air and the roots always being exposed to the nutrients.

But, I like the ability to change the number of plants I want on my table. Also, the small footprint per plant helps with clean-up. Now there is 1 cup of hydroton per each plant's nette pot rather than an entire bed of hydroton. Thats much easier to clean between grows.

I was thinking of adapting the table to a dripper system and beds of coco or rockwol, but that seems like a lot of work and eventual waste. Right now the only waste is a 1" cube of rockwol per plant. I like that. But I also like that the table / reservoir are adaptable to different types of hydro systems.

TL;DR: Shallow Water Culture or Deep Water Culture

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
See my thread for my hybrid systems

I start here (bubble + individual APs) then move larger plants to my Hybrid F & D table

View attachment 264504

I run a NFT / EBB & Flow system and really love it. I think a DWC/SWC (or variant thereof) may have higher yields because of bubblers under the roots constantly supplying highly oxygenated air and the roots always being exposed to the nutrients.

But, I like the ability to change the number of plants I want on my table. Also, the small footprint per plant helps with clean-up. Now there is 1 cup of hydroton per each plant's nette pot rather than an entire bed of hydroton. Thats much easier to clean between grows.

I was thinking of adapting the table to a dripper system and beds of coco or rockwol, but that seems like a lot of work and eventual waste. Right now the only waste is a 1" cube of rockwol per plant. I like that. But I also like that the table / reservoir are adaptable to different types of hydro systems.

lr3

Maybe you can try setting up a top drip dtw. I just did a 8 site manifold out of pvc in 2 gallon smartpots and its working out really good. I recently switched to coco dtw from soil and loving it so far.

thanks, that is the route i will most likely go--and use a flood tray so i'll be ready to switch to flood and drain in the future, if i so desire.

lr3

Right now the only waste is a 1" cube of rockwol per plant. I like that. But I also like that the table / reservoir are adaptable to different types of hydro systems.

all good points. i value your input. thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts