What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain

therevverend

Veteran
He got baked on more than a few episodes. Pretty sure he was a Sativa guy since he requested a "cat piss" smelling strain on the Amsterdam show. RIP.
Sativa guy? You're saying he was a pot snob? Pretty sure he said he liked Cat Piss because it had the nastiest name out of the choices of pot he had to choose from. He was that kind of guy. He probably didn't have Shit or Big Chunk of Bloody Fucking Ox to choose from.
My mom talked me into going to see him at the Paramount when he came to town. Good show, keeping a large crowd of people entertained for a couple of hours all on your lonesome is hard to do. Of course he had the obligatory digs at foodie snobs, preciousness, and vegetarian cooking.
He was at his best engaging the audience. Hard stuff to do without a script and I'm sure it took a chunk of his soul every time he did it. I could tell he was enjoying himself but for an introverted person selling yourself out like an extrovert takes a huge toll.
At least I bought a fucking t shirt..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i watched a show he filmed in South America that was interesting. he went to a local shaman down there & went on an ayahuasca trip in the jungle. you can get the raw ingredients legally here, so i'm going to try it for myself before the feds fuck it up...

Green Squall

Cool guy. Selfish and spoiled. His life, his choice.

How was he spoiled? He started from the bottom and worked his way up. First as a line cook, then went to college and made something of himself. Nothing was just handed to the guy. He was actually very humble in my opinion. Never flaunted his wealth and used his platform (TV Show) to help help others and bring awareness to world issues.

Google Marilyn Hagerty and tell me what Anthony did for her was spoiled and selfish.

zombywolf7

Only a woman can make you that crazed to do yourself in. Maybe he had demons, but European women are different, and maybe he misread some signs from her. Nothing else makes much sense to me.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Was Bourdain's Tattooed Squeeze Cheating? Did He Die Of A Broken Heart? - Pics

Was Bourdain's Tattooed Squeeze Cheating? Did He Die Of A Broken Heart? - Pics

I hate to use the Daily Mail as a source because it's so trashy, but these pics speak a thousand words. Grueswome way to go, especially over an ex-flame. After looking at these pics, these two look way more than just friends.

SOURCE: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-Cannes.html

Celebrating Harvey's downfall: Asia Argento embraces writer who shared her speech attacking Weinstein for using Cannes as his 'hunting ground', as pair stroll through Rome
Asia Argento spent the weekend in Rome with reporter Hugo Clement, with the two seen smiling as they walked through the streets of Rome
The pair were seen affectionately embracing just and laughing with a group of friends just a few weeks after attending the Cannes Film Festival
Argento is also enjoying professional success, having been named as a new judge on the Italian version of X Factor and directing the recent Parts Unknown
She was selected for that gig by her boyfriend of close to two years, Anthony Bourdain, who raved about the actress in a blog post last week
Argento is also recording commentary for her film The Scarlett Diva ahead of its re-release, which she made after Harvey Weinstein allegedly raped her
Weinstein is set to be indicted on two counts of rape and a count of criminal sexual act on Tuesday

By CHRIS SPARGO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 09:15 EDT, 5 June 2018 | UPDATED: 12:56 EDT, 8 June 2018

Actress Asia Argento was reunited with journalist Hugo Clement over the weekend in Rome.

The joyful and jubilant pair were photographed smiling as they strolled through the Italian capital, just weeks after Clement, 28, posted Argento's powerful speech at the closing ceremony of the Cannes Film Festival in which she attacked Harvey Weinstein and called the annual event his 'hunting ground.'

Photos show the two embracing and smiling just days before Weinstein's indictment on two counts of rape and one count of criminal sexual act.

Clement is a journalist with Konbini news, and has done a number of well respected pieces for the agency, most recently on the famine in Congo, the livestock industry in France and the threats facing gay men in Tunisia.

Argento is also enjoying some incredible professional success of recent, having been named as a new judge on the Italian version of X Factor.

In addition, she directed the episode of Antony Bourdain: Parts Unknown that aired this week in the United States, which took the host to Hing Kong.

Finally, she posted a video to her Instagram account on Tuesday revealing she was recording new commentary for a re-release of the film she made in the wake of her alleged sexual assault by Weinstein, The Scarlett Diva.

4CE8ECDE00000578-0-image-a-3_1528203390510.jpg

4CE8EE6800000578-0-image-a-4_1528203394846.jpg

4CE6D01A00000578-0-image-a-6_1528203430021.jpg

Bourdain said in a blog post last week that when the director he had hired to shoot the episode had to undergo emergency surgery he hired Argento to take over, noting it was 'fair to say' he and the actress were 'quite close.'

Bourdain has been one of Argento's most vocal supporters on social media ever since she came forward with her allegations, and after her powerful Cannes speech tweeted: 'Brava @AsiaArgento. An absolutely fearless off-script nuclear bomb of a speech to a stunned crowd at #Cannes.'

He also thanked Spike Lee for making a point of speaking to Argento after she shared her remarks, with the actress later noting most attendees avoided her in the wake of her speech.

It was Clement who posted the speech after accompanying Argento to the ceremony, writing: 'The powerful speech @AsiaArgento [delievered] during the closing ceremony of Cannes. "I was raped here in 1997 by Harvey Weinstein."

In her remarks Argento also stated: 'This festival was his hunting ground. I want to make a prediction: Harvey Weinstein will never be welcomed here ever again. He will live in disgrace, shunned by a film community that once embraced him and covered up for his crimes.'

Argento was one of the first actresses to accuse the disgraced mogul of sexual assault, telling The New Yorker that Weinstein raped her in 1997 at a party hosted by Miramax at the Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc during the Cannes Film Festival.

She claims the mogul led her to an empty room and asked her to give him a massage.

Argento said she reluctantly agreed, and halfway through he began to perform oral sex on her after forcibly lifting up her skirt despite her repeated requests for him to stop.

The actress said that she became suspicious when the party she arrived at was just an empty hotel room, but was assured that people would soon be arriving by Weinstein.

Then, he emerged from the bathroom in a robe and holding a bottle of lotion says the actress, who was just 21 at the time.

'He asks me to give a massage. I was, like, "Look man, I am no f***ing fool,"' said Argento.

'But, looking back, I am a f***ing fool. And I am still trying to come to grips with what happened.'

The actress said that once Weinstein began performing oral sex on her there was no way for her to stop him because he was so much bigger than her.

'It wouldn’t stop. It was a nightmare,' said Argento, who eventually decided to pretend she was enjoying the act in hopes that it would end.

When it was over, Argento said she laid on the bed and told her alleged attacker: 'I am not a whore.'

He laughed at her and said he would put that on a shirt according to Argento, who said that Weinstein contacted her for months after the attack and even began offering her expensive gifts.

Argento eventually relented and over time became close to her attacker, and even engaged in consensual relations with him she admits.

She explained the sudden shift by saying that it was a few months before the release of her 1999 film 'B. Monkey' and she was afraid that if she did not agree to Weinstein's advances he might destroy her career.

The following year, Argento released her film Scarlet Diva, which had a scene similar to the one she experienced three years earlier in France.

In that film, a young actress is cornered by a big producer in a room with one crucial difference.

'In the movie I wrote, I ran away,' said Argento.

When she told Weinstein that the character was based on him he simply laughed said Argento.

In has been 20 years now since that encounter, and Argento said she still struggles, especially when she sees Weinstein.

'When I see him, it makes me feel little and stupid and weak,' said Argento.

'After the rape, he won.'

Shortly before the New Yorker story was published, Weinstein asked Argento to meet with a private investigator and give testimony on his behalf.

At the time she had been with Bourdain for close to a year.

The chef and self-proclaimed film fanatic first met Argento in 2016 when she appeared on the Rome episode of his Emmy-winning travel show.

Bourdain and Argento's relationship became public after the two were seen in Rome together early last year.

The lovebirds could be seen walking around the city hand-in-hand and then sharing a kiss after enjoying dinner at Pommidoro.

The two then returned to their hotel room.

4CE6CF7A00000578-5807979-New_love_Argento_42_first_met_Bourdain_61_just_around_the_time_t-a-5_1528206740893.jpg

Argento, 42, first met Bourdain, 61, just around the time that it was revealed that he and his wife Ottavia were separating after nine years of marriage.

The actress and Bourdain's ex-wife are near look-alikes and both hail from Italy.

Bourdain's Rome episode of 'Parts Unknown' was a remarkable feat, and one that was inspired in some ways by Argento's father.

Dario Argento is considered by many to be one of the great horror directors, and is known for his highly stylized films, among them the 1977 classic Suspiria.

The episode was shot entirely in widescreen and featured no imagery of classic Rome, choosing instead to show only 'the architecture of Mussolini and post-Mussolini era.'

Argento helped Bourdain with this by showing him some of her favorite spots and having her sister cook for him.

She even took Bourdain to what he described as a 'bats*** crazy boxing club where we ate pasta ringside as gladiators pounded one another and the crowd hooted and roared.'

Argento has two children, an 8-year-old son Nicola with her ex-husband Michele Civetta and a 16-year-old daughter Anna from her relationship with musician Marco Castoldi.

She shot to fame as a teenager due to her famous father and roles in a number of Italian movies, receiving the Italian equivalent of the Academy Award twice before the age of 20.

Argento then found fame in America with her role opposite Vin Diesel in XXX, and two years later was back with her English language directorial debut, having adapted J. T Leroy's controversial novel 'The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things.'

She has appeared in a number of films over the past decade, most notably Marie Antoinette, Boarding Gate, The Last Mistress and Mother of Tears.

In 2014 she premiered her film Misunderstood at the Cannes Film Festival, which she wrote and directed, telling the press that she was done with acting.

Bourdain was a fan of the film, which he called 'remarkable and beautiful.'

After the two met, he posted a pic of Dario with his young daughter on Twitter, writing: 'Happy Birthday to the master.'

Argento shared a photo of the pair last week in Firenze that showed them embracing after wrapping a new episode of Bourdain's show.

RMS

:smoweed:

G

ganjygav

Rest in peace.
Wow I would watch the show where he travelled the world to sample all the different cuisines.
Always seemed a cool kind of guy.
Its hard to imagine these celebrities having such a rough time they would take it upon themselves to end it.
Watching them on TV I imagine them having this great lifestyle but I suppose the work they had to put in counteracted the good parts.

Sad.

ohimaria

Out(of mind)Grower
Rose McGowan Pens Defense of Asia Argento After Anthony Bourdain's Suicide

"Many of these people who lost their ‘friend' are wanting to lash out and blame. You must not sink to that level," actress writes

rose-mcgowan-asia-argento-fcc0f93d-6f1d-4de9-a907-5e7bb5345075.jpg

Rose McGowan penned an open letter on behalf of Asia Argento following the death of Argento's boyfriend Anthony Bourdain, who died by suicide on June 8th. As McGowan writes, Argento has unfairly faced blame in the aftermath of Bourdain's death.

"I know so many around the world thought of Anthony Bourdain as a friend and when a friend dies, it hurts. Many of these people who lost their 'friend' are wanting to lash out and blame," McGowan wrote. "You must not sink to that level. Suicide is a horrible choice, but it is that person's choice."

McGowan and Argento spawned a friendship following their individual experiences with the "monster rapist" Harvey Weinstein, as McGowan writes. The actress also shared some details about Argento and Bourdain's "free relationship, they loved without borders of traditional relationships, and they established the parameters of their relationship early on."

"In the beginning of their relationship, Anthony told a mutual friend, 'He's never met anyone who wanted to die more than him.' And through a lot of this last year, Asia did want the pain to stop," McGowan wrote. "But here's the thing, over their time together, thankfully, she did the work to get help, so she could stay alive and live another day for her and her children. Anthony's depression didn't let him, he put down his armor, and that was very much his choice. His decision, not hers. His depression won."

Argento's nontraditional relationship with Bourdain has "many" – like the media and "the random commenter," as McGowan wrote – speculating whether the actress somehow played a role in the chef's unsuspected suicide.

"Do NOT do the sexist thing and burn a woman on the pyre of misplaced blame," McGowan wrote. "Anthony's internal war was his war, but now she's been left on the battlefield to take the bullets. It is in no way fair or acceptable to blame her or anyone else, not even Anthony. We are asking you to be better, to look deeper, to read and learn about mental illness, suicide and depression before you make it worse for survivors by judging that which we do not understand, that which can never fully be understood."

McGowan concluded, "Anthony would never have wanted Asia to be hurt, I'd like to think he would want us to have the collective conversation that needs to be had about depression. Blame is NOT a conversation, it is the shutting down of our collective growth. Which is where we are now." The actress also shared a lit of worldwide suicide prevention hotlines.

Read McGowan's entire open letter below:

Dear Fellow Humans,

Sitting across from me is the remarkable human and brave survivor, Asia Argento, who has been through more than most could stand, and yet stand she does. She stood up to her monster rapist and now she has to stand up to yet another monster, suicide. The suicide of her beloved lover and ally, Anthony Bourdain. I write these truths because I have been asked to. I know so many around the world thought of Anthony Bourdain as a friend and when a friend dies, it hurts. Many of these people who lost their ‘friend' are wanting to lash out and blame. You must not sink to that level. Suicide is a horrible choice, but it is that person's choice.

When Anthony met Asia, it was instant chemistry. They laughed, they loved and he was her rock during the hardships of this last year. Anthony was open with his demons, he even wrote a book about them. In the beginning of their relationship, Anthony told a mutual friend, “He's never met anyone who wanted to die more than him.” And through a lot of this last year, Asia did want the pain to stop. But here's the thing, over their time together, thankfully, she did the work to get help, so she could stay alive and live another day for her and her children. Anthony's depression didn't let him, he put down his armor, and that was very much his choice. His decision, not hers. His depression won. Anthony and Asia had a free relationship, they loved without borders of traditional relationships, and they established the parameters of their relationship early on. Asia is a free bird, and so was Anthony. Was. Such a terrible word to write. I've heard from many that the past two years they were together were some of his happiest and that should give us all solace.

Anthony was 61, the same age my father was when he died. My father also suffered from intermittent deep depression, and like Anthony, was part of a “pull up your bootstraps and march on” generation. The a “strong man doesn't ask for help” generation. I know before Anthony died he reached out for help, and yet he did not take the doctor's advice. And that has led us here, to this tragedy, to this loss, to this world of hurt. Do NOT do the sexist thing and burn a woman on the pyre of misplaced blame. Anthony's internal war was his war, but now she's been left on the battlefield to take the bullets. It is in no way fair or acceptable to blame her or anyone else, not even Anthony. We are asking you to be better, to look deeper, to read and learn about mental illness, suicide and depression before you make it worse for survivors by judging that which we do not understand, that which can never fully be understood. Sometimes we are stuck in the unknowable, and that is where we are now, a massive wave of darkness that threatens to swallow everyone in its wake.

As I watch Asia do her job on set today, I see a pillar of strength who continues to work to put food on her children's table. I see Elizabeth Taylor carrying on filming Cat on a Hot Tin Roof despite her love, her husband, dying in a plane crash. I see all of us who have carried on. Please join me in sending healing energy to Anthony on his journey, and to all who've been left behind to journey on without him. There is no one to blame but the stigma of loneliness, the stigma of asking for help, the stigma of mental illness, the stigma of being famous and hurting.

We must do more and be better. Anthony, our friend, would want it that way.

To the media and to the random commenter, Anthony would never have wanted Asia to be hurt, I'd like to think he would want us to have the collective conversation that needs to be had about depression. Blame is NOT a conversation, it is the shutting down of our collective growth. Which is where we are now. We have a choice as humans, shrink to our smaller, uglier selves, or be better and grow as only true Phoenixes can. I urge you to be that Phoenix.

With great sadness and even greater hope, I remain,

Rose McGowan

cc: Asia Argento

If you are considering suicide, reach out. We need you here. You matter. You exist. You count. There is help a phone call away, reach out.

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...etter-after-anthony-bourdains-suicide-w521378

mayorofthdesert

many former opiate addicts suffer from severe depression. it atrophies the brains ability to produce endorphins/dopamine. depending on the length of ones habit, their brain may never fully recover. 5 years clean & i'm still suffering the after effects. I've known too many people in this position who have offed themselves. sad.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I didn't know the guy, but when I heard about his passing, it felt like I lost a pal. He came of as smart, decent, beer & food loving traveller dude thru the magic of TV and will be missed. So thanks for the entertainment, and rest in peace Mr. Bourdain.

C-6-godXoAw8MwL.jpg

anthony-bourdain-best-host.jpg

Last edited:

insomniac_AU

For those who are interested the toxicology report has been released.

"US CELEBRITY chef Anthony Bourdain, who was found dead in a French hotel room earlier this month, had no narcotics or alcohol in his body when he died, a local prosecutor has confirmed. Bourdain, host of CNN’s food-and-travel-focused Parts Unknown television series, was 61. Brash and opinionated, he had spoken openly about his use of drugs and addiction to heroin earlier in his life.
“No trace of narcotics, no trace of any toxic products, no trace of medicines, no trace of alcohol,” prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny told Reuters said today."

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...y/news-story/863d6ca7120dc89f61a8c661047007f1

S

sourpuss

He had the best food show. Will miss the guy. Depression is a bitch. Super cool dude surprised he did that.

Green Squall

many former opiate addicts suffer from severe depression. it atrophies the brains ability to produce endorphins/dopamine. depending on the length of ones habit, their brain may never fully recover. 5 years clean & i'm still suffering the after effects. I've known too many people in this position who have offed themselves. sad.

Anxiety too? My friend couldn't smoke weed when he got off opiates due to paranoia.

shithawk420

Veteran
It's the same with alcohol too Squall.i can't smoke unless I'm drinking.its hell.and now I'm starting to get addicted to pain killers cause I got two skull fractures and 12 stitches.drugs and alcohol are no joke