What's new

Why Pot?

hayday

Veteran
I have been around awhile. I get weed & grass . I bought $10.00 lids , I remember the old guys talking about cans but about the only things I remember about calling weed Pot was Top rolling papers spelled backwards and something else about a soldiers helmet .

Does anyone know how Pot got to be called such?:watchplant:

III%

:dunno:

Pot” as slang for marijuana has been in common usage since at least the 1930s and the subject of lively dispute among etymologists pretty much since day one. The most popular theory about the origin of “pot” traces it to the Spanish phrase “potacion de guaya,” or “drink of grief,” supposedly referring to a concoction of wine in which marijuana buds have been steeped. It is also said that “potiguaya” or similar words are used in Spanish to mean marijuana leaves. The only problem with these theories is that no one has yet found “potacion de guaya” or its relatives actually being used in Spanish. That, to put it mildly, is a pretty big problem.

rolandomota

Veteran
It Must be when people started growing the seeds they got in pots potted plants or pot for short it worked as a code word for weed back in the day

zoic

Googled it, here you go from Dictionary.com, also verified from word-detective.com

How did the word for a common kitchen instrument become slang for marijuana? Actually, the origin of pot has nothing to do with the culinary tools. The word came into use in America in the late 1930s. It is a shortening of the Spanish potiguaya or potaguaya that came from potación de guaya, a wine or brandy in which marijuana buds have been steeped.
I love this stuff, give me more. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I don't know either, but I have a couple pictures I took in Alabama in the mid 70's, of signs at the end of people's driveways, that said "Pot plants for sale"!

Gry

Veteran
The word came into use in America in the late 1930s. It is a shortening of the Spanish potiguaya or potaguaya that came from potación de guaya, a wine or brandy in which marijuana buds have been steeped.
Too fucking neat !
Can we have some more ?

St. Phatty

Potaguaya sounds good -

but even if the alcohol acts as a solvent for the THC -

doesn't the THC need to be heated or something

to get a Cannabis type buzz off the Potaguaya ?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Potaguaya sounds good -

but even if the alcohol acts as a solvent for the THC -

doesn't the THC need to be heated or something

to get a Cannabis type buzz off the Potaguaya ?

Nope... No heat needed at all.
I steeped 12g of hash in a bottle of Rumplemintz & 1 shot would knock ya da funk out for the night w a gnarly pot hangover the next morning.

Green Squall

I have been around awhile. I get weed & grass . I bought $10.00 lids , I remember the old guys talking about cans but about the only things I remember about calling weed Pot was Top rolling papers spelled backwards and something else about a soldiers helmet .

I don't know but this reminds me of that scene from The Hangover,

Doug: I always wondered why they were called roofies. Cause you're more likely to end up on the floor than the roof. They should call em groundies.

Alan Garner: Or rapies.

Littleleaf

Veteran
I would bet it was called pot by some one with the munchies so bad . He got the pot stuck on his head. That he was eating out of and his buddies called him pot head.....

Works for me :biggrin:

zoic

I would bet it was called pot by some one with the munchies so bad . He got the pot stuck on his head. That he was eating out of and his buddies called him pot head.....

Works for me :biggrin:

Yeah, that is kind of where my brain went too.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No idea why it started but how it keeps going, well I think it has to do with the ease of saying pot. Rolls off the tongue. Stoners are known to be easy going mostly. Weed is just a bit harder to say for me anyways.

Marijuana is way too hard to say very often. Pot it is then.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a poster of a "beatnik" holding up a sign that said

Pot is Good

I think it's early 60's

window

Veteran
Hey Tudu, was it this one of Allen Ginsberg the beatnik poet?
picture.php

It’s funny, I’ve noticed here in the UK the kids today call Moroccan hash ‘Pot’ to differentiate between hash and dried flower that they call weed, and other slang terms.
I try to tell them that all cannabis is Pot and I get a lot of blank expressions, lol.
Do you gus in the USA call hash Pot too or just to refer to the herbal version?

Whatever you call it, just remember kids....
picture.php

:biggrin:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Looking in the etymology dictionary, it say's

>>pot (n.2)

"marijuana," 1938, probably a shortened form of Mexican Spanish potiguaya "marijuana leaves."

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It’s funny, I’ve noticed here in the UK the kids today call Moroccan hash ‘Pot’ to differentiate between hash and dried flower that they call weed, and other slang terms.
I try to tell them that all cannabis is Pot and I get a lot of blank expressions, lol.
Do you gus in the USA call hash Pot too or just to refer to the herbal version?
In the parts of the USA I've lived in, hash has always been referred to as hash. I've always found the european references to it being pressed 'pollen' as funny. :)

I find it interesting how easy it is to 'educate' the public with good/bad info. Everyone parrots the most commonly 'googled' information. I have no idea if the spanish reference is correct, but it's certainly the champion idea of the moment.
:tiphat: