What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5x8 Purpose built perpetual room construction and grow log. 400W HPS NFT gully system

OvergrowingKiwi

Hey! I'm OvergrowingKiwi nice to meet you and thanks for taking the time to check out my grow log. :)

This being my first post, I guess I'll start with a little about myself.
I've been growing on and off for the last 9 years. Major commitments such as travel and education are the only things that can tear me away from my favorite hobby.
I used to be a big contributor to the overgrow forums and loved the attitude, atmosphere and wealth of knowledge shared there.
I look forward to working together with you all as we explore the wonderful world of cannabis cultivation.

I've built a cabinet in the past but I'm going to build a room this time.
My gullys arrived today so I'm super motivated and going to get some work done. Heres the space I'm working with... Had everything I'm looking for. Cool temp and access to fresh outside air for exhaust and intake. It 5x8 feet and about 8 feet high. I'll be sealing the concrete wall with white paint.

picture.php

I'm recording the whole process here from start to finish

Last edited:

OvergrowingKiwi

I've implemented an idea i've had for passive intake. The room will be completely sealed to keep out pests. Also putting in a webcam and an old PC so I can check the grow from the iphone :p I'm going to attempt to keep everything clean as I've got the opportunity to wire everything into the framing first.

Attachments

• user150954_pic430137_1278931852.jpg
    user150954_pic430137_1278931852.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 12

kp^

how cool would it be to put one of these puppies on the door.
1TouchIQ2_BN_Front_Finger_v2_med.jpg

hmm only $199USD..could get a pair of labcoats to hang there too.
product page

I put something about like that... smaller tho... into a custom door. I've had it installed for almost a year now. LOVE IT!!

It's nice to be able to set a key code, and or use a key if need be.

Got one like This....

OvergrowingKiwi

7am start this morning hehe no time for sleeping in when a growroom needs building. Just waiting on the delivery of the timber so I can carry on. Today will be spent going crazy with expanding foam filling any gaps in the roof to stop drafts and pests. the budget has officially been blown. I've extended the size of the room lengthwise. I guess it's a reminder to work out timber budget and adjust size accordingly. Any recommendations for soundproofing/insulation?

Good to see so many overgrowers still kicking it. Unfortunately I was one of the ones that took the shutdown hard and closed up shop when the site went down. While I was away from growing I missed the technical stuff and ending up doing couple of papers on plant biology and architectural drafting. Learnt some interesting stuff.
I really want to have a go at genetics and seeding down the track. I look up too chaps like BOG who have really taken this species to a whole new level.

Great to have a spot on the web to rant and share my secret project with community again :D

OvergrowingKiwi

pics

pics

Went crazy with the expadafoam. Was not too fussed just needed to keep pests out. have used boards and adhesive to seal off other beam gaps in the roof. This will be hidden by two ceilings for sound proofing.
The wall is flush with the concrete and stuck with construction adhesive and also bolted to the roof. Everything is perfectly level :)
Can get a sense of the scale of the room now.
Tomorrow the other wall will go up and hopefully I get the drywall up too.

OvergrowingKiwi

Just making sure the small 600mm door fits before the drywall goes up. It's a perfect fit allowing room for my seals. I'll be attaching a big overhang on the door and putting draft stopper around the edge so it works similar to the way an aeroplanes door seals with air pressure. Will finish the doorframe when the interior drywall is up

Theres some moisture seepage coming through the concrete. This is a common problem and can be treated with a paint on penetrating sealant. This should keep it sealed for approx 2 years without flaking. I could simply paint it but this would only last about 12 months and the paint could flake and I don't want paint flakes in there.

I come home from my day of growroom construction to find a sprout so I celebrated with some indica lol

Frame is taking longer than expected. I'm not rushing anything though. This room is going to supply personal medicinal smoke for me for a long time :)

I'm considering putting a 250w sont t nearer the plants for added red spectrum and upgrading the light to a 600 or 1000 at a later date.

The room will be insulated and I'll be using the heat from the 4ft tubes to heat the growroom during the dark cold periods.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• user150954_pic434644_1279348184.jpg
    user150954_pic434644_1279348184.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 12
  • user150954_pic434645_1279348184.jpg
    user150954_pic434645_1279348184.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 9
  • user150954_pic434647_1279348184.jpg
    user150954_pic434647_1279348184.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 13
  • user150954_pic434649_1279348184.jpg
    user150954_pic434649_1279348184.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 24

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
Nice work man ... I really enjoy seeing construction projects in their inception. Looks like a nice little room.

So are you from NZ?

sfzoo

i'm with JtR^

love love seeing construction from start to finish..

well done so far. any reason you went with that frame design? as opposed to running studs every 16" from top plate to bottom?

clp

Looking real good!
I'm confused on how big the actual floor plan is going to be though..
Is it actually 5X8? If so 600W will not be enough light I'd think

727JoN

im pretty sure 600w is good for up to 20sqft, and im also pretty sure the 5x8 he mentions are the dimensions for the WHOLE room, including the veg/mom area.

maybe he can chime in with the dimensions of his flower space?

OvergrowingKiwi

Nice work man ... I really enjoy seeing construction projects in their inception. Looks like a nice little room.

So are you from NZ?

Thanks JtR :) I am indeed from new zealand :) I confuse the hell out of tradespeople when I refer to lengths in both metric and imperial. Also many building materials I'm used to referring to on the forums by their US and european counterparts.

i'm with JtR^

love love seeing construction from start to finish..

well done so far. any reason you went with that frame design? as opposed to running studs every 16" from top plate to bottom?

Thanks sfzoo. The reason for the odd frame design for the 1st wall is the lengths of the wood I was using. I started off with some wood left over from the building of the house (1970s). This turned out to be warped and the lengths were too short so I made do with what I had for that wall and got new wood.

The first wall is very sturdy though. It must be the concrete floor and wall it's jammed up against.

I placed the studs 600mm(23inchs) apart measuring from the center of the previous studd. This is standard here as drywall comes in 1200mm(47.2inchs) sheets. Is that the same or are the standards different? I've confused myself lol.

The framing on the first wall is very odd though lol

Looking real good!
I'm confused on how big the actual floor plan is going to be though..
Is it actually 5X8? If so 600W will not be enough light I'd think

Cheers! :) The room itself is 5x9 foot but the flowering chamber will be 5x5 feet. Slightly bigger than what the 400w should be doing. Reckon the 400w full spectrum + 250w red spectrum will do it?

:wave: Nice mate, got things started, i was going to start on my room this weekend but got a few friends down from the city. Keep the ideas coming because i will use a few of them for sure LOL.

Nice work.:tiphat:

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
Ha ! thats funny ...

On a side note i spent a year in NZ as an exchange student 13 years ago ... one of the best times in my life, NZ is awesome..

from wellington , Christchurch, Rotorua, Aukland, Hamilton to Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu i love NZ !!

OvergrowingKiwi

Just a few quick shots. I'm about to begin filling gaps and sanding ready for painting. Starting to get excited :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• user150954_pic437867_1279682646.jpg
    user150954_pic437867_1279682646.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 15
  • user150954_pic437868_1279682646.jpg
    user150954_pic437868_1279682646.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 9
  • user150954_pic437869_1279682646.jpg
    user150954_pic437869_1279682646.jpg