What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sesquiterptines

hamstring

Veteran
I was watching a video by Kevin Jodrey and in it he mentions sesquiterptines.

I had no clue but I new this was good forum to ask about it.

In it he says that strains high in sesquiterptines smoke better in flower forum i.e. joints. I think he said it had to do with the fact it takes more heat to release them. He said just because a weed has a strong smell doesnt mean it smokes well. It seems common sense because anyone who has grew weed for awhile understands that. I just never new why.

I am a 45% tincture user and 55% joint smoker. Is what he says true and if so is there any data on strains that are high in sesquiterptines?

Like anyone else I would prefer my weed to have good flavor when smoked and would concentrate on strains with high sesquiterptines.

I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything. 100,000 question right? If it was that easy we all be smoking joints where the flavor lasts all the way through the joint and not just the first few hits.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was watching a video by Kevin Jodrey and in it he mentions sesquiterptines.

I had no clue but I new this was good forum to ask about it.

In it he says that strains high in sesquiterptines smoke better in flower forum i.e. joints. I think he said it had to do with the fact it takes more heat to release them. He said just because a weed has a strong smell doesnt mean it smokes well. It seems common sense because anyone who has grew weed for awhile understands that. I just never new why.

I am a 45% tincture user and 55% joint smoker. Is what he says true and if so is there any data on strains that are high in sesquiterptines?

Like anyone else I would prefer my weed to have good flavor when smoked and would concentrate on strains with high sesquiterptines.

I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything. 100,000 question right? If it was that easy we all be smoking joints where the flavor lasts all the way through the joint and not just the first few hits.

Sweet Mary contains a range of mono, sesqui, di, tri, and tetra terpenes/terpenoids. The monoterpenes are the most aromatic and contain monoterpenes like a & b Pinene, which are bronchodilators and expectorants, so add to the harshness as they add aroma and flavor.

Removing them reduces aroma and flavor, as well as harshness.

Sesquiterpenes smell, but are not pungent like monoterpenes and do have strong distinctive flavors. IE: b Caryophylene, found in cloves, terpentine, and black pepper.

If you look at the first chart in Sweet Mary's Charms post, and pick out the Terpenes/Terpenoids with a C-15 chemical formula, you can see what those are.

It is fair to say that sesquiterpenes are less harsh than monoterpenes on whole, but it is the removal of the monoterpenes that make it mild, not the presence of the sesquiterpenes.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348003

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
The whole subject of Terpenes is so complex, it is very hard to make any conclusions or statements because you are always learning more, or rather that there is so much more to it than your tiny bit of knowledge.

GW does a good job though, Monoterpenes are easily lost, loud in your face smells, but harsh to smoke, this is why Live Resin/Fresh Frozen type extractions are louder, but harsher... to generalise.

Sesqueterpenes and the other classes have different relationships and interactions, but are generally less volatile and not so harsh to smoke. But, once you start reading, you realise just how much there is to it, how much you have to learn, and how mindbogglingly complex Organic Chemistry is.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fairly new video that is. Yes there are many strains with unique terpenes & those with blends.

The Psychosis I am smoking is high in Terpenes I't as tasty @ the start as it is @ the end in the mouth through a joint & in lil hits on the pipe it's all flavour too.

Cheese is dud in joints but good for hash. Them tasty terpenes are all mono very lil ses. Same as blues all mono crap in spliffs