What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blasting material that's been sprayed with sulfur

sodanksodank

Title says it, sorry if this has been asked before I'm having trouble finding the search feature on mobile. I've heard you can use a one micron filter to remove the sulfur before purging. Can it be distilled out? Thanks everybody.

Distillation can fix it but do a saline wash first because the presence of sulfur can cause PH problems and encourage isomerization during distillation.

PDX Dopesmoker

There is an Oregon brand of hash oil called Hush that had to recall a couple large batches due to sulphur contamination recently. They might have some clues about remediation processes for you.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
You have to be a real asshole to spray sulfur on a plant for human consumption. I get that we have to make the best with what we have, but come on. I am waiting for the thread asking to help to remove Glyphosate from distillate, because why the fuck not right...

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
You have to be a real asshole to spray sulfur on a plant for human consumption. I get that we have to make the best with what we have, but come on. I am waiting for the thread asking to help to remove Glyphosate from distillate, because why the fuck not right...

what got you so scared of Sulfur?

Sulfur fungicides are allowed for use on certified organic vegetables.

It is used for the control and prevention of black spot, rusts, leaf spots and powdery mildew on roses, other ornamentals, fruits and vegetables. It is also used less frequently as a miticide on some of the above. Sulfur disrupts the metabolic functioning of fungi and is one of the oldest known pesticides.

Sulfur is a safe way to treat Cannabis in vegetative growth for Russet, Broad, and spider mites.

How to Detect and Fight Russet Mites on Cannabis Plants
[YOUTUBEIF]AUUmulLBbdI[/YOUTUBEIF]

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
what got you so scared of Sulfur?

Sulfur fungicides are allowed for use on certified organic vegetables.

It is used for the control and prevention of black spot, rusts, leaf spots and powdery mildew on roses, other ornamentals, fruits and vegetables. It is also used less frequently as a miticide on some of the above. Sulfur disrupts the metabolic functioning of fungi and is one of the oldest known pesticides.

Sulfur is a safe way to treat Cannabis in vegetative growth for Russet, Broad, and spider mites.

How to Detect and Fight Russet Mites on Cannabis Plants
[YOUTUBEIF]AUUmulLBbdI[/YOUTUBEIF]

Are you smoking those certified organic vegetables?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
When combusted, Sulfur turns into into the far more dangerous, Sulfur dioxide, which is a precursor to Sulfuric acid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_dioxide

Inhalation

Inhaling sulfur dioxide is associated with increased respiratory symptoms and disease, difficulty in breathing, and premature death.[41] In 2008, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists reduced the short-term exposure limit to 0.25 parts per million (ppm). The OSHA PEL is currently set at 5 ppm (13 mg/m3) time-weighted average. NIOSH has set the IDLH at 100 ppm.[42] In 2010, the EPA "revised the primary SO2 NAAQS by establishing a new one-hour standard at a level of 75 parts per billion (ppb). EPA revoked the two existing primary standards because they would not provide additional public health protection given a one-hour standard at 75 ppb."[43]

A 2011 systematic review concluded that exposure to sulfur dioxide is associated with preterm birth.[44]
Ingestion

In the United States, the Center for Science in the Public Interest lists the two food preservatives, sulfur dioxide and sodium bisulfite, as being safe for human consumption except for certain asthmatic individuals who may be sensitive to them, especially in large amounts.[45] Symptoms of sensitivity to sulfiting agents, including sulfur dioxide, manifest as potentially life-threatening trouble breathing within minutes of ingestion.[46]

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Distillation can fix it but do a saline wash first because the presence of sulfur can cause PH problems and encourage isomerization during distillation.

It would be funny if the problems people have with killing their THC by distilling it is from traces of salt, from these usually ill-advised brine washes they're doing for whichever reason. If you sprinkle some flowers of sulfur from the pharmacy on some extract and heat it to maybe 200 you should notice the smell of hydrogen sulfide. Testing would show extra CBN. And that flowers of sulfur, if it didn't react, it's been sublimed before.

What is this wash for? Sulfur is even more insoluble in water than THC. Unless there's alkali hydroxide in it.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Are you smoking those certified organic vegetables?

as a matter of fact...
STONERDAYS-APPLE-PIPE.jpg

When combusted, Sulfur turns into into the far more dangerous, Sulfur dioxide, which is a precursor to Sulfuric acid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_dioxide

Inhalation

Inhaling sulfur dioxide is associated with increased respiratory symptoms and disease, difficulty in breathing, and premature death.[41] In 2008, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists reduced the short-term exposure limit to 0.25 parts per million (ppm). The OSHA PEL is currently set at 5 ppm (13 mg/m3) time-weighted average. NIOSH has set the IDLH at 100 ppm.[42] In 2010, the EPA "revised the primary SO2 NAAQS by establishing a new one-hour standard at a level of 75 parts per billion (ppb). EPA revoked the two existing primary standards because they would not provide additional public health protection given a one-hour standard at 75 ppb."[43]

A 2011 systematic review concluded that exposure to sulfur dioxide is associated with preterm birth.[44]
Ingestion

In the United States, the Center for Science in the Public Interest lists the two food preservatives, sulfur dioxide and sodium bisulfite, as being safe for human consumption except for certain asthmatic individuals who may be sensitive to them, especially in large amounts.[45] Symptoms of sensitivity to sulfiting agents, including sulfur dioxide, manifest as potentially life-threatening trouble breathing within minutes of ingestion.[46]

that's why you don't use it on flowers, just veg and it's not going to end up in your concentrate like some chemical pesticides and fungicides.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
that's why you don't use it on flowers, just veg and it's not going to end up in your concentrate like some chemical pesticides and fungicides.

I have no idea if the OP was referring to running sulfur tainted trim, but where do you think the sulfur goes during the flowering process? If someone has a systemic mite problem that would require covering vegging plants in sulfur, they likely have many other issues.

I am not trying to be an asshole, but a lot of people here are "forced" to process low grade material with pesticides, that is often grown by third parties - not by people who love the plant, but commercial dick weeds that would just assume poison people instead of throwing away questionable material. Travel to some third-world countries and you see the same ethos in food handling/selling to the poor.

PDX Dopesmoker

as a matter of fact...
View Image

I'm interpreting that image reply as a dumb blondes joke.

Also wanted to mention that I sprayed sulphur last summer in veg. If I'd decided to be lazy and do some whole plant hash or something like that without taking the older fans off then I guess I might be in a similar sulphuric boat. Except I sprayed alcohol about a week after the sulphur, that might have removed some. I hadn't thought about it before, but those big fields of whole plant processing flower probably accumulate more contaminants because they don't de-fan before processing.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey PDX. Any grower worth its salt has had to deal with just about all forms of pests and things that can destroy a grow/entire op, and that certainly includes taking preventive measures to stop small issues from becoming big ones. There are responsible ways to do this, including like you mentioned taking steps to remove sulfur residue after the fact, and just an absolute shit load of irresponsible ones, that save money and time.

As to the OP's original question, it is very possible for you to remove the sulfur, as much more qualified people have described, but basically, you will spend a lot more time to get a much smaller yield (if you care about 0% S). You can google the effects of inhaling sulfur dioxide, and then dab a bunch and see if these happen to you. Follow Blue Bell - "We eat all we can and sell the rest"...

sodanksodank

I have no idea if the OP was referring to running sulfur tainted trim, but where do you think the sulfur goes during the flowering process? If someone has a systemic mite problem that would require covering vegging plants in sulfur, they likely have many other issues.

I am not trying to be an asshole, but a lot of people here are "forced" to process low grade material with pesticides, that is often grown by third parties - not by people who love the plant, but commercial dick weeds that would just assume poison people instead of throwing away questionable material. Travel to some third-world countries and you see the same ethos in food handling/selling to the poor.

I am referring to running trim that is tainted with sulfur

nakadashi

Source some powdered copper or clean off old pennies. Dissolve the oil into ethanol for winterization. Introduce the copper to the mixture and let sit overnight. Filter and purge ethanol as usual. Check copper for change in color to confirm results. The copper should exhibit dramatic color change :YaRight:

Latest posts

Latest posts