What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do you prefer medicinal marijuana to pain killers?

troutman

Seed Whore
I prefer organic herb over GMO drugs.

i.e. Oxycontin is from a GMO opium poppy plant. I wonder how many of you knew this?

Just over 10 years ago, Tasmanian Alkaloids asked Larkin to build a better poppy.
After applying a chemical mutagen and screening poppies in the 1990s, the
company discovered the top1 mutation that caused poppies to accumulate
thebaine, a morphine precursor used in OxyContin and other high-value painkillers.
https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/26110/title/Poppy-power/

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Because it can be grown & used in spite of pharmaceutical offerings, leaving big pharma empty handed of my offerings.

Fuck of Pfizer (& the rest of you big pharma twats)!

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Cannabis is my everything... I used to trail and do all that would be thrown in my face then j grew up ditched the addictions for strictly cannabis... never felt better in my life too.. went from buying bags to alleviate my ptsd and severe depression now I grow it live the quality of life that opiates would NOT let me... big pharma can eat a d&#* and die... that is all lol

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I prefer organic herb over GMO drugs.

i.e. Oxycontin is from a GMO opium poppy plant. I wonder how many of you knew this?

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/26110/title/Poppy-power/

Thebaine itself is poisonous and poppies with the mutation cannot be used for their latex until further chemical treatment.

Regular poppies grown for commercial use have the codeine and morphine reduced to their Thebaine base and then converted into all those synthetic opiates that are causing all the overdose deaths.

The mutation would allow manufacturers to skip a step and use poppy juice directly for fentanyl and oxycodone production.
The mutated poppy seed stocks are company owned and guarded against theft.

For acute sharp pain marijuana is not an effective treatment, more for vague and annoying pain.

I grow my own dwarf strain of poppies in the same rooms as my marijuana.
I find both very useful but not for the same symptoms.