What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grandoggy Purps / XMas Special Grow

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Also, I just realized's DHF's defoliation comments were probably geared towards a stretchy, high-yielding commercial strain.

Just goes to show everybody - there's a million different ways to grow cannabis... some right, some wrong, some right or wrong depending on your situation.

so for this run, a non-production run, basically a test run, we want to keep it so that the plants express their full potential without any interference from me.

one question for the max-harvest growers who run indica-dom plants like GDP... how do they do it? may yield for indicas?

I probably have read the answer but if anyone wants to save me time let me know!

1st thought - sog or scrog, long veg time, top multiples.

ok, back to finish the bowl lol

they don't call it weed for nothing ;)

it's easy to grow and you gotta really be trying to kill it :tiphat:

woolybear

Veteran
DAY 26 SMELL UPDATE

I brushed up against the doggys and got a quite amazing scent, so i had to smell them all.

I lightly rubbed a feenger on each bud.

Doggy #1 has an AMAZING super sweet candy fragrance. not overtly grapey but definitely that flavor. I really like this one

Doggy #2 has a sweet hard candy smell as well, just less strong

Doggy #3 smelled like #1 but with a sweet citrusy orangey note.

Xmas #1 has a sweet mild smell of wrigley's juicy fruit gum

Xmas #2 smells like #1, but less strong.

I approve of these smells.

I also raised the LED lights a few inches; i think thats what was causing the yellowing in some leafs, too close to the light.

woolybear

Veteran
random thought: it i think i may have fried the couple of sets of leaves shown in the above pics. So i raised the leds even more.

One of the buds has cauliflower-like white growth on the top bud that i've seen before in my crop.

Wierd thing is, some plants can handle it, some cant. Other plants have gotten very close to my led panel without getting burned, but it looks like one or two of my doggies is sensitive!

poor doggies :( I'll try to be a better parent from now on, lol.

woolybear

Veteran
day 29

day 29

week4

solved the yelllow leaf problem by trimming them off!

pics:

picture.php

picture.php

doggys:

picture.php

picture.php

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
your XMAS special, looks like it will kill my Xmas' yield....

mine is damn near ALL calyx....

woolybear

Veteran
your XMAS special, looks like it will kill my Xmas' yield....

mine is damn near ALL calyx....

thanks for watching krunch, I'm a fan :)

very interesting, i am hoping my XMAS plants turn out well as they are so easy to clone...

in fact i stuck 6 cuts of x#1 I was going to throw out in a beer cup and less than a week later they all had roots. put some veg formula in there and they are amazingly healthy... might use them for an experiment in DWC or coco...

maybe after this run is done i can run xmas #1 in the tent. edit: or perhaps the white jones I signed up to test lol...

based on the csg's comments in another thread, the original north london church had small juicy nuggets... hopefully these turn out similar... does incense smell at all like wrigley's juicy fruit gum?

oh yes.... NO NANNERS on any of them :)

Last edited:
love the thread great read and gave me a few ideas on on some changes for me to LED's. subscribed and can't wait to see how they finish out... just finished placing an order for Connoisseur Genetics at Attitude sb for some NYC Jones and Grandoggy purp yesterday and thats how i come to find this awesome thread. still new to icmag and am hoping to make a new friend or two so keep up the good work and I'll be tuned in....

woolybear

Veteran
DAY 35 / Week 5

Peeked my head deep into the tent and picked up a noticable hint of funk... not a particular funk, maybe a little bit cheesey funk, will have to go back into the tent.

Also noticed when the lights were off the plants are purpling up... will have to look again...

edit: i read in another thread a trait of the original GDP is that its leafs tend fan outward, effectively screening out the light from the buds below.

I'd definitely noticed this trait in the doggies. The fans don't point upward, straight horizontal fans. Interesting that this made its way into the cross :)

I had to trim a couple of fan leafs. One or two were crunchy, the others savagely blocking out light. They still have plenty left!

Last edited:

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking good bro

this is where the fun starts

im sure you will get a purple pheno or something amazing out of these
both of the mothers used got alot of fruityness to them and the sssdh male puts out lime/lemon haze

peace

woolybear

Veteran
looking good bro

this is where the fun starts

im sure you will get a purple pheno or something amazing out of these
both of the mothers used got alot of fruityness to them and the sssdh male puts out lime/lemon haze

peace

I think you're right :)

The revisited the funk in the tent... its more of a very over-ripe tropical fruit funk that hangs like fog in the tent.

Its very interesting in terms of the plant science... By producing the funk the girls are screaming for insects to come on over and pollinate them. Here's another quote, regarding how to get into the weed circles at college:

Promotion and advertising has always been part of the plan. My newest college connects were lined up last year but people graduate and I have to find more. Me and snypette go to colleges with ounce samples of multiple products and a hacky sack. Then we walk around campus while hacking. The stoners flock to the hacky sack and I start talking about trees. Once they see the trees, we get invited into the dorms for sessions and they call their connects and we talk business. If the dealer isnt big enough then we have that dealer call his dealer and arrange a meeting. We work our way up the chain until we find the dealer that suits our needs. It works everytime. These dealers usually last until graduation or until they fuck up. Each dealer leads to hundreds of thousands of dollars in product throughout their time at school for me and my people. Im good at talking to people but my products speak for themselves. My products also make these dealers more cool and they get more friends and girls cause they have the best weed on campus consistantly. No matter how much product that I have, its never enough

Last edited:

woolybear

Veteran
day 36 update

here are some pictures. a comparison of my two xmas phenos is first.

#1's flowers look exactly like a type of wild flower i've seen growing in grass. The buds are about 30% larger than pheno #2. I think #1 will take longer to flower as the buds aren't settling in like the 2nd pheno

#2's buds are smaller than #1. Looking at the picture, also a tad frostier :) The picture is giant sized if u wanna look close:

picture.php

side view:

picture.php

If #1 turns out to be fire then thatd be cool as i have an army of clones.

Here's a picture of the doggies. Even from the side and with poor lighting you can see they are very frosty. You can see the fan leaves that got nuked by the led light which was too close. Luckily the closeness didn't effect the buds at all save for one, which has a funky cluster of white parts (not shown):

picture.php

Last edited:
hey wooly got a quick question for you who do you get your LED's from? I have seriously been thinking of switching up seems like you do pretty well with them.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
buds are looking very nice now

this is where the purple starts to show

keep up the good work bro

peace

woolybear

Veteran
hey wooly got a quick question for you who do you get your LED's from? I have seriously been thinking of switching up seems like you do pretty well with them.

i bought my first unit at full retail price from growledhydro dot kizzom

But the last panels I have bought from the same manufacturer from a well-known auction site for about 30% off retail prices

dude puts them on the auction site every once in a while :)

also, the price of my 300w panel was 1000 when i bought it, now $750 retail, cheaper on the auction site

thanks all

woolybear

Veteran
day 37

decided to update as i took out the led panel to get better access to the plants.

trimmed out some leafs that got burned as well as a couple that were just not necessary :)

Unfortunately I don't think i'm going to get crazy purpling this round due to the led burn damage the leafs took. buds are ok tho, hopefully extra chronic due to the led nukage :)

here's a couple pics of the bud that developed white growth in response to the light:

picture.php

side view of same bud:

picture.php

another top shot. sorry about the blurriness:

picture.php

woolybear

Veteran
i have two make two posts now to put pictures in due to the 5-picture limit. now sure how this makes sense, but apparently it leads to 30% increases in website traffic. :moon:

overhead group shot:

picture.php

and the xmases:

picture.php

thank%20you.gif

woolybear

Veteran
Spent a couple hours running several gallons of drip clean-treated water thru the doggies and xmases. Flushed them all except for #3.

Except for xmas #1, the initial runoff of the plants was in the 2000-3000ppm range ! oops! :D

xmas #1 had more reasonable runoff, in the 600ppm range. I wonder if that means it eats more?

The first 1000ppms i think were the result of mixing the natural salt buildup in the top layers of the perlite by pouring the solution on top; I bottom feed.

I decided to do this as I could see the top layer of perlite stained blue by my bloom ferts.... i read somewhere the top layers of roots serve to dispose of salts and plant shit, while the lower roots uptake nutrients and the like.

And the fact that perlite 'sticks' to nutrients explains the high runoff... so now the doggies should be mostly clean.

I think I want to flush them a few more times until I can get the runoff under 500ppms, then resume bottom feeding at 200-300 ppms.

:)

S

stratmandu

Hey Wooly B, when did your gdoggys show sex/preflowers? If so, at what week? Or did you sex them after going to flower period (12/12)? Thanks. Three from reg seed at 7 weeks veg (16/8) show no pf or sex yet... sure wish they would.

Latest posts

Latest posts