What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeders who sell pollen ?

MintyMick

That would be an annoying product to collect.

It’s very annoying but totally worth it. I use tweezers, pull the pollen sacs off onto a glass slide beneath the sac, then I air dry it, sift the pollen from the plant material (less likely to mold without random sacs mixed in with the pollen) then I put the pollen in an air tight container with a dessicant ( like rice or silica beads) and then label and refrigerate it.

I had a male girl scout cookie outside this year so collecting was a bit easier than inside. I just shook it a bit over some glass and scraped it into a jar.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I don't get this talk about "but is the pollen legit?"..
..cause it's just the same when you're buying seeds = until you grow them, you won't really know what it is, unless someone else has grown them first. It's the same with pollen. = You have to grow some seeds made with the pollen until you know what you've bought.
Sometimes seeds don't germinate as they should etc. and perhaps the pollen won't work, so to me the risk is about the same.

Good males, i'd say, are just as rare/common as good females, so finding a good male out of pack of seeds may not be as easy as it sounds. It's quite common to get females that have atleast some sort of intersex-traits in them (late nanners). And so if the females from a particular line grow nanners/sacks, it's very likely that the males will grow pistils at some stage of bloom also.
So how likely it is that you will find a good, stable male from a 10 pack of seeds?

I grow in small cabs/tents, in a small apartment, and let me tell you it isn't so cool to flower a male for 9-10 weeks to see it start growing pistils. = cull the male and start over!! Finding and testing males from the lot of seeds you bought might be quite a task. ..So buying pollen could be much, much easier.
:)

Dog Star

Veteran
You have anything to back up that statement?

You wish legitt study...??

Its personal experience with 6 years old polen.. but then i read it same somewhere from some breeder on internet.. and he says same for regular polen off course.. then i get a man have right cause i experienced same when i tested those progeny..

Some tricks in growing i get thru observing... and thru personal experience.. those ones are very valuable for person that can
accept share..

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hell if you can increase the percentage of female seeds by putting them in a jar with apple peelings, then anything is possible.

Hookahhead

I would buy feminized pollen if it was available. Mix it with anything you have in your garden and get femmed beans for hopefully much less. Obviously picking the right strain for your needs is up to the buyer just like buying seeds.

Dog Star

Veteran
But true weed-mofos love a regular seeds..

in a case of regular polen best are polinations with fresh harvested polen..,
also seed numbers will be higher with fresh than old polen..

ahortator

Veteran
As far as I know, pollen is not sold. It is usually a gift for free.

The Cannabis world is turning too much capitalist :laughing::laughing::biggrin: :biggrin:

LadyGuru

I just bought:

(1) Wedding cake x GMO/TK Skunk. Swamp Boys.

(1) ANIMAL STYLE POLLEN (Animal Crackers x GMO) F1 Pollen

(1) Bubba 76 POLLEN

(1) ZKITTLEZ Z3 "TALL CANDY PHENO" (Terp Hogz)

Got it from a homie in Canada. I will be hitting Dark heart Nurseries new gear with it.

Blueberry muffin
Hades Og
Mirage
Pineapple upside down cake
Purple punch
Royal Highness

Also have some Silver Mountain males x :

Silver Mountain
Lavender Jack
Cherry Chem x Sour Patch kids

Obtaining pollen has really helped me make more beans, from more varieties.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old polen makes bigger amount of males to females ratio...

I'd have to agree with this. I used some 10yr old SD IBL pollen to hit up a GG4, started like 6 seeds, got one female.

Used some 10yr old Casey Jones pollen and hit up a GG4. Popped 15 seeds (3 sets of 5 seeds over a period of time). Ended up with 5 fems, 10 males.

This same pollen when used fresh and when it was only a couple years old, resulted in a lot higher fem ratio, like 3/4s fem and 1/4 male.

The pollen was collected, sifted through tea strainer to remove plant particles. Put in foil packet, stuck in a mason jar with some damprid (dessicant), vacuum packed and stuck in the freezer.

Last edited:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
A legit pollen bank could definitely be an interesting concept but only if they are selling valuable pollen from thoroughly progeny-tested elite males and proven stallions that breed true for valuable traits, just like it's often done with horses or dogs. Otherwise it's hit and miss. Probably it's been already done in the past. I still remember about the Haze male that someone was showing on that old documentary about the Cannabis Castle. Many people would pay for that one actually.

But since most people is just selling random pollen without any guarantees, it doesn't makes any sense and lacks any value from the breeder's perspective. Just another bunch of greedy people trying to get a piece of the cake. Since they won't release elite females in order to keep the monopoly, they'd sell some pollen, hoping that a bunch of naive growers without access to those genetics may swallow.

A random male from your own crosses or seeds would be equally valuable or even more since you can be 100% sure of its pedigree.

Cheers.

LadyGuru

What makes you think these pollen banks are not legit?

Imagine how slow this industry would move if people only grew out their own genetics, and worked on their own seed lines........ The biggest time consuming part of all cannabis, is finding a breeding male. I can usually tell by week 3 if a female is going to cut it or not. However with a male, you not only have to select for traits, but then you have to breed to find out what traits are dominate/recessive. Males are hard to keep, ruins crops when pollen escapes and so on.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Boreal Seeds sells some.

Pollen IS legal completely legal. You can even import and export it. I have contacts in Border Services and Health Canada who confirmed it.

As for legit, it's as legit as seeds. How do you know if your seeds are not shitty old plain hemp?

Dog Star

Veteran
I'd have to agree with this. I used some 10yr old SD IBL pollen to hit up a GG4, started like 6 seeds, got one male.

Used some 10yr old Casey Jones pollen and hit up a GG4. Popped 15 seeds (3 sets of 5 seeds over a period of time). Ended up with 5 fems, 10 males.

This same pollen when used fresh and when it was only a couple years old, resulted in a lot higher fem ratio, like 3/4s fem and 1/4 male.

The pollen was collected, sifted through tea strainer to remove plant particles. Put in foil packet, stuck in a mason jar with some damprid (dessicant), vacuum packed and stuck in the freezer.

Thanx a lot Blynx for chime in and sharing your experience...

atleast somewanne know to observe growing processes and learn something very valuable for future breeding projects,
if we talk regular polen...

as you can sees there is a Beta,most smartest guy on ICMAG who
belives this is anegdote... cause if he dont know for that then its
definitly dont exist or its not possible to happend..

Am happy cause there is a people like Blynx who learn from their
own experience,or they recognize truth when she emerge...

Am not happy cause there is a people like Beta cause this is not
first time he try to be ignorant troll,bringing negativities and his
own complicated character after i share some data..

Kind regards to everybody.. but specialy for Blynx cause he haves
good eye and can recognize differences..

:tiphat:

Smith111

Boreal Seeds sells some.

Pollen IS legal completely legal. You can even import and export it. I have contacts in Border Services and Health Canada who confirmed it.

As for legit, it's as legit as seeds. How do you know if your seeds are not shitty old plane hemp?

Very good info, thanks!:tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Boreal Seeds sells some.

As for legit, it's as legit as seeds. How do you know if your seeds are not shitty old plane hemp?
You mean pollen is legal for Canadians?
But is it legal for every grower in USA to order cannabis pollen
..cause i think i have read years ago that it was illegal at least in some parts of USA, similar problems as with cannabis seeds, but i'm not from USA, so i don't really know how it is and can't remember for sure.

I still suggest every US customer checks if it's legal in their state or whatever, before ordering pollen.

:)

Latest posts

Latest posts