Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves?

Thread Title Search
Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 PM #21
Cvh
Sacred Herb Grower

Cvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud of
I want to see how this turns out.
Could you make regular updates?
Cvh is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM #22
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
In nature there are mutations. I've just never seen a newborn that has puberty characteristics. Same goes for new born plants...

Best of luck Hookah.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders in the USA- check out our unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds for medical conditions and recreational stimulus at down to earth prices. Now 12 years running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 PM #23
Hookahhead

Hookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll certainly post updates every few days as things progress. Do I need a certain post count to pass around some rep?

I agree that this trait doesn't seem very beneficial to the plant currently. However I have seen runt/stunted plants that catch up or surpass their siblings by the time flowering sets in.

If I'm lucky and she does resume "normal" growth, I'll definitely be taking cuts and tossing pollen on them. I'm not sure if it will be inheritable. Personally, it would be a great trait for my setup... even if it stalls the plant a week or 2. I have to take my plants out into the jungle on the back of my motorcycle down a bumpy dirt road. I've found that it's much easier to move many 2 week old seedlings, than just a few 4-6 week old plants (less suspicious, less damage). However I have to come back 2 weeks later and chop the males. It would be much better to kill all the males the first week, and only move females. However, since my plants tend to finish at 3-4ft it's cost prohibitive and also difficult for me to get fem beans here.
Hookahhead is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 PM #24
Hookahhead

Hookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura about
Sorry guys I can't edit my posts yet... I just wanted to thank you for checking out this thread aridbud. You're expertise in this area is appreciated, and I encourage you to follow along.. at least for the next couple of weeks. In your experience, what's the earliest you've seen a plant throw preflowers?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:36 AM #25
Ignignokt

Ignignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of lightIgnignokt is a glorious beacon of light
Have you ever grown Lowrider #1?
It wouldn't shock me too much if i saw a Lowrider #1 do something like that.
The one time i grew some, years ago, the finished plants were stunted but only about 3 nodes high with some calyxs and pistils.
Ignignokt is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 03:14 AM #26
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Transplant soon....your plants, either photo or auto, don't like cramped roots.

Autos generally pre-flower (hit puberty) 17-25 days. Photoperiods, 3-4 weeks into vegg....if environment is optimal...or soon after flipping light regimen.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders in the USA- check out our unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds for medical conditions and recreational stimulus at down to earth prices. Now 12 years running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 AM #27
Hookahhead

I haven't personally grown lowryder, but I was growing when it was released. I remember most growers at the time thought the whole autoflower trait was just a nolvelty and not really useful. Like you said some plants would be a few inches tall, others would hit 30. Mediocre quality, and unpredictable yields were off putting... now all these years later there's an entire market devoted to autos. The breeders have done an excellent job improving the quality/quantity!

Transplant soon? My normal routine is 2 weeks (give or take a day) in a 16 or 20 oz solo, then transplant either outdoor or into a gallon container. At around 4 weeks they tend to show sex, at least most of the males anyway. Then I take cuttings and either move them outside, or to 3 gallon pots. At 6 weeks they absolutely need to go out or I can't get them on the motorcycle... even with lst or topping. Following this schedule, I have roots at the bottom of the pot, but not tightly bound.

That being said, the plant in this post is 5 days from breaking ground today.

That

Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 AM #28
Hookahhead

Good news! The new growth in the middle is going to be leaves! They are not very big right now, so I'm going to wait a day or 2 to post the photo evidence.

The new growth is DEFINITELY different than the calyxes. The calyxes are the classic shape (with pistils) and are pubescent (referring to being "fuzzy" not sexual maturity). The leaf formation is serrated and look like any other leaf tips. I'm not going to lie.. I'm pretty excited about all of this.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:49 AM #29
Sign

Sign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the rough
I'd be excited to have some weird mutation in my tent too. Can't wait for the updates!
Sign is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2018, 07:25 PM #30
Hookahhead

I'm really trying to restrain myself from posting and staring at her too often. It's a real struggle though guys, it feels like my first time again! I added more soil to the cups to support the stem growth, I always leave a little room on top for this purpose.

Leaf growth has poked out far enough that you can identify it as such. However the growth looks abnormal to me, like the leaf in the front is twisted backwards. The calyxes haven't grown any, adding more evidence that's what they truely are and not leaves. Obviously I just need to wait and see what she does.

Some things I'll be interested in seeing:
-will additional nodes come with calyxes too
-will leaf growth be opposite or alternate (indicating maturity)
-will it be an autoflower
-will I see any balls too (hopefully not!)

Thanks for tuning in and following along
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6988362-A104-4344-BD3C-0D4238DB86A6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	473305