What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rooted but stunted yellowing clones

colo720

Hi all, thanks for having a look here and I appreciate your knowledgable feedback to diagnose and correct this problem I'm having with propagation. I'm not new to growing, but i'm not new to the challenges growing creates! This problem began 5-6 months ago, without any significant change in my overall setup.

Roots are still popping at around day 10 across all strains, but also across all strains is this yellowing stunting at the tops. See picture of OG Kush rooted and planted 4 days ago in 6" rockwool, same problem with rooted GG Original Glue, and picture of OG Kush mom to show the moms are happy and healthy.

Facts:
1. mom's are in coco, 3 gal smart pots, being fed cyco grow part a+b with voodoo juice, 5.8ph under 600w. originally i thought problem may be with moms being a bit root-bound but the GG (pictured) i brought in from outside my garden as a new cutting, it also came from a healthy plant. i quarantined in its own humid-dome, it rooted, but has the same yellow stunted top i get across strains. note: the residue on GG is from anchora dunks to eliminate potential hidden pests. So I don't think the problem is the root bound moms.

2. Procedure used: clones dipped in clonex gel, then placed in 1.5" a-ok rockwool starter cubes. cubes soaked in same nutrient solution as moms but 200ppm. then humid dome placed over the top, with daily removal of dome to let in some fresh air, then top replaced.

3. room 72-76 deg F, rh of room 60. inside dome a bit warmer, under T5 24 hours, and higher humidity, the walls of humid dome sweat. i don't water the cubes again until they begin to dry about day 7, at which time i open dome vents. when majority rooted, i remove dome to harden and plant. under T5 for 24 hrs/day

4. the clones across all strains root after about 10 days but come out with this stunted yellow top. i don't foliar in the humid dome, but once they're planted i foliar 2-3 times /day rotating between : dr repair, posedianzyme, full on, all with a touch of voodoo.

5. the OG cutting was planted 4 days ago into 6" cube. i'm confident they will pull through, as in the past they will push through this stunted growth but obviously this is not ideal. previously when i wasn't having this problem, and clones were rooted hardened off nice and green with praying tops, they root and begin to grow in 6" rockwool in just a few days.

Questions:
- any ideas of why this yellowing is taking place?
- how to avoid it?

OG Kush

GG

OG Kush Mom

colo720

Let me know if you can't see these:

OG Kush:

GG:

OG Kush Mom

Attachments

• sad OG.jpg
    sad OG.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 49
  • sad gg.jpg
    sad gg.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 33
  • OG MOM.jpg
    OG MOM.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 48

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
How close is the light to the clones. I stressed a few cuts putting new t5 bulbs in should have raised it some.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Is that powder of some kind on the leaf, or is it mite damage? Cuttings/clones are more easily attacked.

colo720

No, the moms nor the cuttings nor the garden has any powdery mildew or mites.

the powder or residue you see in the picture on the GG, the clone in the black tray, is residue from Anchora dips. I brought this GG cutting in from outside of my garden so its in quarantine and got two of these dips just in case it did have pests.

but the yellowing tops problem is happening on all the clones across strains, and was happening before i brought this GG into the garden.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I know I've seen that before, the very pale yellow new growth, and I cannot remember what it was now. You sure temperatures are not dropping at night when the lights are out?
I think it might be Iron deficiency? That shouldn't be locked out in hydro till like 7 or so though so I highly doubt it's a lockout issue?

Last edited:

colo720

Hi,

1. i don't think it's low temp - i have a min/max hygrometer that shows min's not getting below 72. i set lighting for clones at 24 hours
2. i'm not sure if its a deficiency, i've thought about those but it seems they've been addressed

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If it's not the cold and it's not iron, I don't know. It really reminds me of the iron deficiency shots if you do a google image search though. Whatever it is, good luck.
iron-deficiency-cannabis.jpg

xp17g7l9tmcz.jpg

colo720

interesting comparison with iron deficiency. on your second picture the top growth is still praying, the growth is still vigorous. vs my pictures where the new top growth is not praying, it's flat and stunted, even though when the cutting was taken from the mom it was praying

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Maybe consider running 20-4 lights. Some dark really helps. This time of year it's hard as most people need the heat.

I would just feed those plants. About 600 ppm veg nutrient.

colo720

Ok so I'm going with the theory that cyco grow a+b was not cutting it or i was under feeding. i just took another bunch of very healthy cuttings but soaked the starter cubes in GH flora nova grow (been a long time since i used GH) at 2ml/gal which gave me 400ppm, lowered ph to 5.8. also I adjusted light cycle to 18 on 6 off. we'll see!

Bobby Boucher

Maybe you got a batch of abnormally alkaline wool? You'd prolly know better than I would, but personally I've had a spotty history with rock wool.

My clones have only ever yellowed out like that if they were getting too much light, getting poisoned by cheap plastics or carbon monoxide from incomplete propane combustion, or suffering from alkalinity issues in rock wool.

I much prefer floral cubes, personally, but that could very well be completely irrelephant.

colo720

incomplete propane combustion may be it. my new clone area is next to the furnace room and the timing of the problem coincides with that move - even though the spaces are separated by a door. time to move them back, or add ventilation. thank you for that idea!

colo720

i'm reading about incomplete propane combustion now. strange because the liquid propane furnace is new 2 years ago, York, and it has no problems. I have a 6" fresh air duct supplying the mechanical room (furnace and hot water heater), and its easy to tell the fresh air is getting in there- the mechanical room is one of the coldest of the house from the cold air intake.

the other sign of incomplete combustion is if the flame is not blue but yellow or orange. I just checked the furnace and the flame is definitely blue. I have a plug-in Kidde carbon monoxide alarm that reads OK. i tested it, the alarm works, and i moved it into the clone area. could it be that levels of carbon monoxide below that of the monitor would effect the plants?

colo720

It turns out plants are very sensitive to combustion of LP! according to this website growingproduce.com, a small amount of carbon monoxide is very harmful to tomato plants.

https://www.growingproduce.com/vegetables/is-your-heater-hurting-your-plants/

"First and foremost, vent all burners to the outside. Never allow gases to remain inside the greenhouse. Tomato plants are very sensitive to certain pollutants found in the exhaust from fossil fuels. In fact, 1 ppm (part per million) of ethylene or carbon monoxide can cause serious damage. All fuel-burning heaters need to be vented with a stack to the outside."

This article goes on to talk about the need for fresh air intake and to have an exhaust stack or flue (mine exhausts to the roof), and it is no where near the intake on the side of the house.

Is my flue possibly clogged? It seems like if that were the case the CO (carbon monoxide) would be backing up in the mechanical room and setting off the alarm, not to mention effecting the other plants in the next room over (the Mom's are next room over and still healthy)

I'm going to call the company that installed the furnace to get them out here to check for CO

Latest posts

Latest posts